Useful Knowledge

  • sean@centragarden.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2004
      How To Say "I am a Lesbian" in lots of languages:

      Afrikaans: Ek is lesbies.
      Albanian: Jam lesbike.
      Basque: Lesbiana naiz.
      Bulgarian: Az sym lezbijka.
      Catalan: Sóc lesbiana.
      Croatian: Ja sam lezbijka.
      Dutch: Ik ben lesbies.
      Esperanto: Mi estas lesbanino.
      Estonian: Olen lesbi.
      Finnish: Mä oon lesbo. (colloquial) Minä olen lesbolainen. (formal)
      Franglaish: Mé e lesbien.
      French: Je suis lesbienne.
      German: Ich bin lesbisch.
      Greek, Modern: Eimai lesvia.
      Hebrew: Ani lesbit.
      Hungarian: Leszbikus vagyok.
      Icelandic: Ég er lesbía.
      Indonesian: Saya lesbi.
      Irish: Is leispiach mé.
      Japanese: Watashi wa rezu yo.
      Klingon: be'pu' vIparHa'
      Korean:(colloquial) Chon lesbian indaeyo. (formal) Chonin lesbian imnida.
      Latin: Tribas sum.
      Mandarin: Wo( shì yi- gè nu"( tóng xìng liàn zhe(.
      Malay: Awak lesbian.
      Norwegian, Bokmål: Jeg er lesbisk.
      Norwegian, Nynorsk: Eg er lesbisk.
      Polish: Jestem lesbijka;.
      Portuguese: Eu sou lésbica.
      Romanian: Sunt lesbianã.
      Russian: Ya lezbiyanka.
      Scots Gaelic: Is leisbeach a th' annam.
      Spanish: Soy lesbiana.
      Swahili: Mimi ni msagaji.
      Swedish: Jag är lesbisk.
      Tagalog: Tomboy ako.
      Thai: Di chan phen lesbian.
      Toki Pona: mi olin e meli.
      Turkish: Ben lezbiyenim.
      Welsh: Dw i'n hoyw.

      --SG
      --font of wisdom... oh, MariMite screencaps on 2chan
    • donnaneely
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3, 2004
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, sean@c... wrote:
        > How To Say "I am a Lesbian" in lots of languages:

        And in some of the locations, right after succesfully reciting this
        statement - you will be jailed. lol. Be sure to learn - "i need a
        lawyer" "But really I am an American Citizen" and such other
        important jail terms.

        donnaneely
      • Trishane Lee
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 3, 2004
          Such as "no I won't be your currency!" or "I am at least worth four packs!"

          J/K
           Anyways you should be careful what you say where. But me and my friend found it highly amusing though I think some of them are.... not proper. I would have to get out my latin books to check *sighs* Too much effort.

          Shane
          donnaneely <donnaneely@...> wrote:
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, sean@c... wrote:
          > How To Say "I am a Lesbian" in lots of languages:

          And in some of the locations, right after succesfully reciting this
          statement - you will be jailed. lol. Be sure to learn - "i need a
          lawyer" "But really I am an American Citizen" and such other
          important jail terms.

          donnaneely

          Do you Yahoo!?

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 3, 2004
            >From: sean@...

            >Japanese: Watashi wa rezu yo.

            Japanese lesbians there seem to use "bian", rather than the more perjorative
            "rezu."

            I refuse to comment on the Klingon.

          • what is a dooky
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
              > Tagalog: Tomboy ako.

              Heehee ^_^

              Isn't it interesting that most of those languages use a derivation of
              the word "lesbian" rather than having their own words? I wonder if
              this is just a modern thing... There is a proper Japanese word
              meaning lesbian, "joseidoseiaishita"... a slightly ungainly compount
              that literally means "woman who loves the same sex". Now it's largely
              replaced, at least in colloquial language, with an abbreviation of
              the English term.

              Ooh, I could write an essay on this. Probably won't though.

              And being almost-Welsh, I'm quite proud that the Welsh have their own
              word for lesbian ^_^

              dooky
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "what is a dooky" <spookydooky@h...>
                wrote:
                > There is a proper Japanese word
                > meaning lesbian, "joseidoseiaishita"... a slightly ungainly compount
                > that literally means "woman who loves the same sex".

                I see "onna doushi" used still, quite often, but more for women who
                happen to be having sex with other women, as opposed to "lesbian."

              • Chalcahuite
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
                  On Jul 3, 2004, at 6:48 PM, sean@... wrote:

                  > How To Say "I am a Lesbian" in lots of languages:

                  <snip>

                  Feeling a little geeky, I went on an etymological hunt, through Google,
                  and found that, were you to jaunt through time, prior to 1890 you'd
                  probably be answered with a quizzical "You don't look Greek" or more
                  skeptical and wary stares as the person you announced this to
                  contemplated how you could be a greek wine or a mason's rule.

                  -==-
                  Serge
                • barahime@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
                    --- Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:
                    > On Jul 3, 2004, at 6:48 PM, sean@...
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > Feeling a little geeky, I went on an etymological
                    > hunt, through Google,
                    > and found that, were you to jaunt through time,
                    > prior to 1890 you'd
                    > probably be answered with a quizzical "You don't
                    > look Greek" or more
                    > skeptical and wary stares as the person you
                    > announced this to
                    > contemplated how you could be a greek wine or a
                    > mason's rule.

                    Ohohoho. This cracked me up like you wouldn't believe
                    - probably because I'm not only Greek, but have family
                    who hail from Lesbos - I used to tell people that I
                    was a quarter Lesbian to enjoy their reactions :D So,
                    for posterity, what is this mason's rule of which you
                    speak?

                    ~Nanchan

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  • unclero@lycos.nl
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
                      > Dutch: Ik ben lesbies.

                      No, it's supposed to be: "Ik ben lesbisch"
                      African may be a Dutch dialect but it still has large differences ;)

                      Ro'
                    • Chalcahuite
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
                        On Jul 6, 2004, at 12:23 AM, barahime@... wrote:
                        > So,
                        > for posterity, what is this mason's rule of which you
                        > speak?

                        Well, a quick Google search tells me that the mason's rule they are
                        referring to is a 6 foot ruler, broken into folding sections, with a
                        couple of different scales on it, as opposed to Mason's rule, which is
                        an equation for determining input/output transfer functions, I think. I
                        don't really understand what I'm looking at, other than it's reminds me
                        of calculus. So there you have it.

                        -==-
                        Serge
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
                          > On Jul 6, 2004, at 12:23 AM, barahime@y... wrote:

                          > Well, a quick Google search tells me that the mason's rule they are
                          > referring to is a 6 foot ruler, broken into folding sections, with a
                          > couple of different scales on it,

                          My Dad (who is not, and never has been, a Mason and yes - I'm sure)
                          had one of those- I thought it was the coolest toy, as a kid. :-)

                          (He was a Knight of Pythias, though)
                        • Chalcahuite
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
                            On Jul 6, 2004, at 12:50 PM, atheniag wrote:

                            > My Dad (who is not, and never has been, a Mason and yes - I'm sure)
                            > had one of those- I thought it was the coolest toy, as a kid. :-)

                            There goes another one of those wavelength things. When I saw the
                            picture of the rule on a tools website, I knew I had seen it before. It
                            wasn't my dad who had it, it was my grandfather-in-law, and I thought
                            it was cool too. So there's another one of the "wavelength" things for
                            you.

                            -==-
                            Serge
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
                              >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

                              >There goes another one of those wavelength things. When I saw the
                              >picture of the rule on a tools website, I knew I had seen it before. It
                              >wasn't my dad who had it, it was my grandfather-in-law, and I thought
                              >it was cool too. So there's another one of the "wavelength" things for
                              >you.

                              My life is completely ruled by the twin gods Serendipity and Synchronicity,
                              without whom I would not be here today. :-