Re: [Yuricon] Re: Kurau: Phantom Memory Ep 1

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3 2:13 PM
      >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

      >Uh, not to be a gloomy Gus, but the energy based lifeform angle puts a
      >question mark on any potential yuri subtext for me here. How can we
      >tell if what we may be seeing is based on genuine human emotion or just
      >the closest human approximation of their natural state of being? .

      You could ask that question of Alpha and Kokone in Yokohama Shopping Log,
      too, or the steel angel that obbsesses over Kurumi, too. I think that there
      has to be a hand-wave there. We have to assume that the emotion is real, or
      why bother to write it in at all?

    • Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3 9:11 PM
        On Jul 3, 2004, at 5:13 PM, Erica Friedman wrote:

        >> From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
        >
        >> Uh, not to be a gloomy Gus, but the energy based lifeform angle puts a
        >> question mark on any potential yuri subtext for me here. How can we
        >> tell if what we may be seeing is based on genuine human emotion or
        >> just
        >> the closest human approximation of their natural state of being? .
        >
        > You could ask that question of Alpha and Kokone in Yokohama Shopping
        > Log,
        > too, or the steel angel that obbsesses over Kurumi, too. I think that
        > there
        > has to be a hand-wave there. We have to assume that the emotion is
        > real, or
        > why bother to write it in at all?

        Well, I don't know if Androids/robots/etc are a good example here,
        since they're generally constructed from the start to emulate or
        approximate the human experience, especially in these cases, as opposed
        to completely alien life form with which I don't think we can
        completely identify with. However, I understand the point you're
        making, so I'll just chalk it up to over thinking things again. ;)

        -==-
        Serge
      • Chalcahuite
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3 10:00 PM
          On Jul 3, 2004, at 2:35 PM, donnaneely wrote:

          > I would compare it to the Trill in Star Treks Jadziha Dax (sic). The
          > lifeform required a Human host?

          Well, Star Trek always plays a little fast and loose with the science
          aspects of their stories, but I would argue that the Dax host, since
          it's a living creature with a physical body is far easier to ascribe
          the human experience to, then something that exists as pure energy.

          > It occurs to me that many anime characters are embued with
          > otherworldy characteristics or cyborg parts or whatever. I believe
          > the demand for any List character to be utterly 100% human would
          > likely result in many qualifiers being removed. etc etc etc,,,, have i
          > made the point yet Serge???

          I'm not advocating any sort of purity standard for the List; it's fine
          the way it is. <mock outrage> And I'll thank you to let me jump to my
          own conclusions, if you please. </>
          And if the point is that it's sometimes necessary to ascribe the human
          condition to things that are not human to tell a story, then yes, I
          concede the point willingly. Though the difference that I find, and
          has gotten me into trouble apparently, is that everyone you mentioned
          in your list was either created by humans to mimic the human condition
          or is based or related to humanity in some way. The Rynax are not at
          all related to humanity in any aspect that I can tell, which is why I
          questioned it.

          > Makes me laugh that the guy who is still hoping for that yuri in
          > Daphne is disregarding Kurau out of the box. So Serge you earned
          > another laugh/chuckle from me.

          Well, I'm glad I don't have to try so hard anymore to make you laugh.
          Apparently the key is my inability to articulate coherently ;)

          I wasn't completely disregarding Kurau out of the box, I was just
          implying that the Rynax, since they are energy based life forms and
          beyond our experience, threw up a flag for my inner science geek.
          Obviously, if I weren't a bit of a hard SF fanboy, I wouldn't be in so
          much trouble, now. :-P

          -==-
          Serge
          "I'm taking my marbles, and going home!"
        • Trishane Lee
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3 11:51 PM
            I think serge is taking it all a little too seriously. and who knows what energy based life forms can feel Have you ever known one?

            Shane

            Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:
            On Jul 3, 2004, at 2:35 PM, donnaneely wrote:

            > I would compare it to the Trill in Star Treks Jadziha Dax (sic). The
            > lifeform required a Human host?

            Well, Star Trek  always plays a little fast and loose with the science
            aspects of their stories, but I would argue that the Dax host, since
            it's a living creature with a physical body is far easier to ascribe
            the human experience to, then something that exists as pure energy.

            > It occurs to me that many anime characters are embued with
            > otherworldy characteristics or cyborg parts or whatever. I believe
            > the demand for any List character to be utterly 100% human would
            > likely result in many qualifiers being removed. etc etc etc,,,, have i
            > made the point yet Serge???

            I'm not advocating any sort of purity standard for the List; it's fine
            the way it is. <mock outrage> And I'll thank you to let me jump to my
            own conclusions, if you please. </>
            And if the point is that it's sometimes necessary to ascribe the human
            condition to things that are not human to tell a story, then yes, I
            concede the point willingly.  Though the difference that I find, and
            has gotten me into trouble apparently, is that everyone you mentioned
            in your list was either created by humans to mimic the human condition
            or is based or related to humanity in some way. The Rynax are not at
            all related to humanity in any aspect that I can tell, which is why I
            questioned it.

            > Makes me laugh that the guy who is still hoping for that yuri in
            > Daphne is disregarding Kurau out of the box. So Serge you earned
            > another laugh/chuckle from me.

            Well, I'm glad I don't have to try so hard anymore to make you laugh.
            Apparently the key is my inability to articulate coherently ;)

            I wasn't completely disregarding Kurau out of the box, I was just
            implying that the Rynax, since they are energy based life forms and
            beyond our experience, threw up a flag for my inner science geek.
            Obviously, if I weren't a bit of a hard SF fanboy, I wouldn't be in so
            much trouble, now. :-P

            -==-
            Serge
            "I'm taking my marbles, and going home!"

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Chalcahuite
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 4 7:59 AM
              On Jul 4, 2004, at 2:51 AM, Trishane Lee wrote:

              > I think serge is taking it all a little too seriously.

              Certainly, wouldn't be the first time. I'm just wired that way I guess.
              ;)

              -==-
              Serge