Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Kurau: Phantom Memory Ep 1

Expand Messages
  • donnaneely
    I assume this is a japanese game. Doggone, but i will look for it. There is another pic on the website that at least classifies as sweet - no guns.
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      I assume this is a japanese game. Doggone, but i will look for it.

      There is another pic on the website that at least classifies
      as "sweet" - no guns. http://www.kurau.net/


      Bones is the studio involved. Not bad pedigree there, however no
      previous yuri subtext material that I see.

      Oh well something new to watch now that one of my favs Koi Kaze is
      ended. (Note: No yuri, obviously, but truly a work of brilliance in
      rendering deep emotions, and doing it at the pace it deserves. I also
      love the voice actor for Kochiro the protagnist. Kenta MIYAKE. also
      did narration in Ikku Tousen.)

      okay enough of my shameless plug for a work that does not deserve to
      be discussed here. But does richly deserve to be watched.

      regards, donnaneely


      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@h...> wrote:
      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...>
      wrote:
      >
      > > Promising?
      >
      > I have no idea if it has a single ounce of yuri, but I have a
      terrific
      > picture from the game with the two lead females - one laying on the
      > other, both with guns drawn and ready to shoot. To me it says,
      > "subtext yuri only" but it's still a great picture. :-)
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Erica
    • Chalcahuite
      ... Uh, not to be a gloomy Gus, but the energy based lifeform angle puts a question mark on any potential yuri subtext for me here. How can we tell if what we
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2004
      • 0 Attachment
        On Jul 1, 2004, at 2:12 PM, atheniag wrote:

        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...> wrote:
        >
        >> Promising?
        >
        > I have no idea if it has a single ounce of yuri, but I have a terrific
        > picture from the game with the two lead females - one laying on the
        > other, both with guns drawn and ready to shoot. To me it says,
        > "subtext yuri only" but it's still a great picture. :-)

        Uh, not to be a gloomy Gus, but the energy based lifeform angle puts a
        question mark on any potential yuri subtext for me here. How can we
        tell if what we may be seeing is based on genuine human emotion or just
        the closest human approximation of their natural state of being? . If I
        think about it the Rynax exists as a binary energy based lifeform, so
        I'm guessing things like sex, gender, and, I think, emotions, are
        pretty much meaningless in their natural state of existence, so we can
        attempt to define their existence/relationship in human terms, but I
        think, and especially if the writers are being honest, it's a
        translation that's somewhat lacking. Kind of like translating Japanese
        to English and back, I don't think you can express the full gamut of
        each existence completely.
        Anyway, it's not going to stop me from watching, because it was very
        riveting, I'm just not sure it'll be List material.

        -==-
        Serge
      • donnaneely
        I would compare it to the Trill in Star Treks Jadziha Dax (sic). The lifeform required a Human host? Hence fans were able to see two women resolving a romance
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3, 2004
        • 0 Attachment
          I would compare it to the Trill in Star Treks Jadziha Dax (sic). The
          lifeform required a Human host? Hence fans were able to see two women
          resolving a romance that if it would have continued would have been -
          between two women with a trill inside one of them. Would you refuse
          to watch it cuz it wasnt Yuri - heck i was watching it repeatedly
          just cuz it WAS Yuri in every way imagery-wise. I mean lets not
          forget that imagery carries its own messages regardless of the in
          depth backstory.

          Also, lets not completely disregard that Kurau cried real tears at
          the arrival of her partner, as well as having considerable human
          variety angst whilst waiting 10 yrs for her partners arrival. And
          showed affection for her father whilst being a "energy based life
          form" that was explained as the human in her coming through.

          It occurs to me that many anime characters are embued with
          otherworldy characteristics or cyborg parts or whatever. I believe
          the demand for any List character to be utterly 100% human would
          likely result in many qualifiers being removed. Say the mech from
          Yokohama, Witch Anthy, Goddess in El Hazard, Devilman Lady, Digimon
          in Tamers, Vampire Princess Miyu, Jubei (who is a man actually),
          Steel Angel, etc etc etc,,,, have i made the point yet Serge???

          Makes me laugh that the guy who is still hoping for that yuri in
          Daphne is disregarding Kurau out of the box. So Serge you earned
          another laugh/chuckle from me.

          regards, donnaneely



          > Uh, not to be a gloomy Gus, but the energy based lifeform angle
          puts a
          > question mark on any potential yuri subtext for me here. How can we
          > tell if what we may be seeing is based on genuine human emotion or
          just
          > the closest human approximation of their natural state of being? .
          If I
          > think about it the Rynax exists as a binary energy based lifeform,
          so
          > I'm guessing things like sex, gender, and, I think, emotions, are
          > pretty much meaningless in their natural state of existence, so we
          can
          > attempt to define their existence/relationship in human terms, but
          I
          > think, and especially if the writers are being honest, it's a
          > translation that's somewhat lacking. Kind of like translating
          Japanese
          > to English and back, I don't think you can express the full gamut
          of
          > each existence completely.
          > Anyway, it's not going to stop me from watching, because it was
          very
          > riveting, I'm just not sure it'll be List material.
          >
          > -==-
          > Serge
        • Erica Friedman
          ... You could ask that question of Alpha and Kokone in Yokohama Shopping Log, too, or the steel angel that obbsesses over Kurumi, too. I think that there has
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3, 2004
          • 0 Attachment
            >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

            >Uh, not to be a gloomy Gus, but the energy based lifeform angle puts a
            >question mark on any potential yuri subtext for me here. How can we
            >tell if what we may be seeing is based on genuine human emotion or just
            >the closest human approximation of their natural state of being? .

            You could ask that question of Alpha and Kokone in Yokohama Shopping Log,
            too, or the steel angel that obbsesses over Kurumi, too. I think that there
            has to be a hand-wave there. We have to assume that the emotion is real, or
            why bother to write it in at all?


            Cheers,

            Erica

            Yuricon - "For real women who like their women...animated."
            http://www.yuricon.org


            "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldshaking.net
            The Fanfic Revolution - http://www.fanficrevolution.org

            Because fanfic does not have to suck

            _________________________________________________________________
            MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page � FREE
            download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/
          • Chalcahuite
            ... Well, I don t know if Androids/robots/etc are a good example here, since they re generally constructed from the start to emulate or approximate the human
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3, 2004
            • 0 Attachment
              On Jul 3, 2004, at 5:13 PM, Erica Friedman wrote:

              >
              >
              >> From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
              >
              >> Uh, not to be a gloomy Gus, but the energy based lifeform angle puts a
              >> question mark on any potential yuri subtext for me here. How can we
              >> tell if what we may be seeing is based on genuine human emotion or
              >> just
              >> the closest human approximation of their natural state of being? .
              >
              > You could ask that question of Alpha and Kokone in Yokohama Shopping
              > Log,
              > too, or the steel angel that obbsesses over Kurumi, too. I think that
              > there
              > has to be a hand-wave there. We have to assume that the emotion is
              > real, or
              > why bother to write it in at all?

              Well, I don't know if Androids/robots/etc are a good example here,
              since they're generally constructed from the start to emulate or
              approximate the human experience, especially in these cases, as opposed
              to completely alien life form with which I don't think we can
              completely identify with. However, I understand the point you're
              making, so I'll just chalk it up to over thinking things again. ;)

              -==-
              Serge
            • Chalcahuite
              ... Well, Star Trek always plays a little fast and loose with the science aspects of their stories, but I would argue that the Dax host, since it s a living
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 3, 2004
              • 0 Attachment
                On Jul 3, 2004, at 2:35 PM, donnaneely wrote:

                > I would compare it to the Trill in Star Treks Jadziha Dax (sic). The
                > lifeform required a Human host?

                Well, Star Trek always plays a little fast and loose with the science
                aspects of their stories, but I would argue that the Dax host, since
                it's a living creature with a physical body is far easier to ascribe
                the human experience to, then something that exists as pure energy.

                > It occurs to me that many anime characters are embued with
                > otherworldy characteristics or cyborg parts or whatever. I believe
                > the demand for any List character to be utterly 100% human would
                > likely result in many qualifiers being removed. etc etc etc,,,, have i
                > made the point yet Serge???

                I'm not advocating any sort of purity standard for the List; it's fine
                the way it is. <mock outrage> And I'll thank you to let me jump to my
                own conclusions, if you please. </>
                And if the point is that it's sometimes necessary to ascribe the human
                condition to things that are not human to tell a story, then yes, I
                concede the point willingly. Though the difference that I find, and
                has gotten me into trouble apparently, is that everyone you mentioned
                in your list was either created by humans to mimic the human condition
                or is based or related to humanity in some way. The Rynax are not at
                all related to humanity in any aspect that I can tell, which is why I
                questioned it.

                > Makes me laugh that the guy who is still hoping for that yuri in
                > Daphne is disregarding Kurau out of the box. So Serge you earned
                > another laugh/chuckle from me.

                Well, I'm glad I don't have to try so hard anymore to make you laugh.
                Apparently the key is my inability to articulate coherently ;)

                I wasn't completely disregarding Kurau out of the box, I was just
                implying that the Rynax, since they are energy based life forms and
                beyond our experience, threw up a flag for my inner science geek.
                Obviously, if I weren't a bit of a hard SF fanboy, I wouldn't be in so
                much trouble, now. :-P

                -==-
                Serge
                "I'm taking my marbles, and going home!"
              • Trishane Lee
                I think serge is taking it all a little too seriously. and who knows what energy based life forms can feel Have you ever known one? Shane Chalcahuite
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 3, 2004
                • 0 Attachment
                  I think serge is taking it all a little too seriously. and who knows what energy based life forms can feel Have you ever known one?
                   
                  Shane


                  Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:
                  On Jul 3, 2004, at 2:35 PM, donnaneely wrote:

                  > I would compare it to the Trill in Star Treks Jadziha Dax (sic). The
                  > lifeform required a Human host?

                  Well, Star Trek  always plays a little fast and loose with the science
                  aspects of their stories, but I would argue that the Dax host, since
                  it's a living creature with a physical body is far easier to ascribe
                  the human experience to, then something that exists as pure energy.

                  > It occurs to me that many anime characters are embued with
                  > otherworldy characteristics or cyborg parts or whatever. I believe
                  > the demand for any List character to be utterly 100% human would
                  > likely result in many qualifiers being removed. etc etc etc,,,, have i
                  > made the point yet Serge???

                  I'm not advocating any sort of purity standard for the List; it's fine
                  the way it is. <mock outrage> And I'll thank you to let me jump to my
                  own conclusions, if you please. </>
                  And if the point is that it's sometimes necessary to ascribe the human
                  condition to things that are not human to tell a story, then yes, I
                  concede the point willingly.  Though the difference that I find, and
                  has gotten me into trouble apparently, is that everyone you mentioned
                  in your list was either created by humans to mimic the human condition
                  or is based or related to humanity in some way. The Rynax are not at
                  all related to humanity in any aspect that I can tell, which is why I
                  questioned it.

                  > Makes me laugh that the guy who is still hoping for that yuri in
                  > Daphne is disregarding Kurau out of the box. So Serge you earned
                  > another laugh/chuckle from me.

                  Well, I'm glad I don't have to try so hard anymore to make you laugh.
                  Apparently the key is my inability to articulate coherently ;)

                  I wasn't completely disregarding Kurau out of the box, I was just
                  implying that the Rynax, since they are energy based life forms and
                  beyond our experience, threw up a flag for my inner science geek.
                  Obviously, if I weren't a bit of a hard SF fanboy, I wouldn't be in so
                  much trouble, now. :-P

                  -==-
                  Serge
                  "I'm taking my marbles, and going home!"



                  Do you Yahoo!?
                  New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB free storage!

                • Chalcahuite
                  ... Certainly, wouldn t be the first time. I m just wired that way I guess. ;) -==- Serge
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 4, 2004
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On Jul 4, 2004, at 2:51 AM, Trishane Lee wrote:

                    > I think serge is taking it all a little too seriously.

                    Certainly, wouldn't be the first time. I'm just wired that way I guess.
                    ;)

                    -==-
                    Serge
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.