Re: [Yuricon] MADLAX 13

  • Andy00@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
      I REALLY had to laugh at Don's reaction to Margaret saying "Sarkus Sark?  That's a pretty name! ^^"

      Don: CRAP!  She didn't go insane!

      ....it's like Nyarlotep trying to corrupt Osaka from Azumanga Daioh and failing.
    • Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
        On Jul 1, 2004, at 9:48 AM, Erica Friedman wrote:

        >> From: "donnaneely" <donnaneely@...>
        >
        >> I know folks are watching perhaps even as I type. I am very very
        >> pleased with the increasing complexity of the plot and the continued
        >> strength of the women - all of them.
        >
        > At this point, I can say that I'm watching as much for the plot, as
        > for the
        > possible yuri.

        Yeah, same, I want to see how all these characters are related,
        especially since 13 added a lot of fuel to the speculation fire.
        Finally things are starting to kick into gear.

        *
        *
        *
        *
        *
        *

        *
        *
        *
        *
        *
        *
        I really, really liked that tender scene between Vanessa and Madlax as
        they were discussing Madlax's father. (Who, incidentally, I think is
        probably not in very healthy state of being, based on the size of the
        hole in those dog tags and where dog tags usually lie on a person, and
        the shot of the still hand in Madlax's flashback. ;)
        This is probably the goggles talking, but it seems as if they're really
        pushing the boundaries between subtext and maintext here. I suppose
        it's entirely possible to show that kind of intimacy in a platonic
        relationship between two unrelated people, but I think if one (or both,
        now that I think about it) of them were male the presumption would be
        that there was a romantic relationship between them.

        > I definitely liked the way that all the main characters lack memories
        > and
        > fathers.

        All of which obviously makes Madlax, Don, and Margaret players in that
        incident 12 years ago, the question now is how, I think. And Vanessa,
        Eleanor, Nahal, Friday Monday, and Hot Priestess were movers or
        observers and they've all been "reset" as it were and are all rushing
        headlong into repeating history, in their search for the truth.
        Question here is, who did the reset and why, especially since we know
        those kind of resets never last.

        > And the fact that Margaret's spaciness has, in some way, conferred on
        > her
        > immunity to the Elies script.

        It's unfortunate that Madlax is not. Though the previews suggest that
        she recovers quickly. Margaret seems to be empathic, she tends to
        "feel" things a lot like when Don was going to ask her for the book.
        This might be what makes her immune or at least much less susceptible.
        Don't know how yet, but it sounds good. ;)

        >> I will NOT bring up my gripe about Women with no parents who only
        >> worry about, or try to find their missing Fathers <serious stern foot
        >> tapping here>
        >
        > But the same was true for Don, right? So it's not just the girls.

        I suppose it could be ambiguous, (BeeTrain ambiguous? Never.) . The
        translation just says he doesn't have any memories either, so I took it
        as referring to all of his childhood memories, which include his
        father, since that would be keeping in context of the conversation. I
        don't know if the actual Japanese makes it clearer, without taking the
        time to listen and attempt to translate it myself, but the Ayu team is
        made up from the A-S/Lillicious team so I'm presuming their accuracy is
        really high.

        >> Glad I have stuck around for this, I believe it will prove to be a
        >> buy-and-keep-it-er
        >
        > We'll see if they explain anything a little more. I love Noir, but
        > there
        > were SO many plot holes. This one, they *seem* to be trying to tie it
        > together, sort of. I just wish the Enfan leader didn't sound like the
        > head
        > of Team Rocket, or something.

        Series that I finish, I will make every effort to buy when it gets
        licensed, especially if I like it, out of a sense of obligation. I
        think the only exception to this is UFO Princess Valkyrie, I'm not
        buying that, and regret having watched the whole thing.

        I certainly wouldn't mind having them actually tie up all the loose
        ends for once. ;)

        -==-
        Serge
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Andy00@a... wrote:

          > ....it's like Nyarlotep trying to corrupt Osaka from Azumanga Daioh
          and
          > failing.

          What an image. I need to scour my brain clean, now...

        • Adam Jones
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2004
            On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:28:07 -0400, Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
            wrote:

            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *

            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > I really, really liked that tender scene between Vanessa and Madlax as
            > they were discussing Madlax's father. (Who, incidentally, I think is
            > probably not in very healthy state of being, based on the size of the
            > hole in those dog tags and where dog tags usually lie on a person, and
            > the shot of the still hand in Madlax's flashback. ;)

            The first thing I noticed about those tags is that the visible part of
            the name is "Ric ... on". Hands up who else thinks that'll resolve as
            something like "Richard Burton" - with the obvious implication about
            Madlax and Margaret's relationship.
            .oO("You forgot 'scantly clad' and 'exposed.'" )
          • lililicious_scanlations
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2004
              <but the Ayu team is made up from the A-S/Lillicious team so I'm
              <presuming their accuracy is really high.

              Just for the record. Lililicious has nothing to do with Ayu. It is
              true that some of the A-source people joined Ayu but they don't have
              any translators. And since lililicious provided the translators for
              Marimite... I don't know about Ayu's accuracy.
              Better check if you are able to translate yourself ;)

              Greetz

              Tiny_Snowfairy
              http://lililicious.cjb.net
              #lililicious @ irc.evilpanties.net
            • Chalcahuite
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2004
                On Jul 5, 2004, at 10:25 AM, lililicious_scanlations wrote:

                > <but the Ayu team is made up from the A-S/Lillicious team so I'm
                > <presuming their accuracy is really high.
                >
                > Just for the record. Lililicious has nothing to do with Ayu. It is
                > true that some of the A-source people joined Ayu but they don't have
                > any translators. And since lililicious provided the translators for
                > Marimite...

                I stand corrected.

                -==-
                Serge