Kurau: Phantom Memory Ep 1

  • donnaneely
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2004
      Promising?............Science Fiction series - Moon 2100 - though you
      wouldnt know it but for the flying cars. LOL

      Lead character, Kurau, is described in a not negative way as a Tomboy
      by her father and caretaker. Kurau endures a circumstance that
      results in her havintg and awaiting her Partner. For she is now such
      that she will exist in a Pair. For those reading Newtype we already
      know that the partner will arrive in a rendering of her existing form
      but younger. However the partner is a distinctly separate entity.
      Hence a female female pair that cannot truly exist without one
      another?

      Best part for me so far. Previews for ep 2 have Kurau in a Tux and
      partner in a dress for some reason or another. Great! Maybe a new
      female character that is allowed to display some true butch or
      androgynous ways? I could only hope.

      mmmm, we shall see where it goes.

      regards, donnaneely
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1 11:12 AM
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...> wrote:

        > Promising?

        I have no idea if it has a single ounce of yuri, but I have a terrific
        picture from the game with the two lead females - one laying on the
        other, both with guns drawn and ready to shoot. To me it says,
        "subtext yuri only" but it's still a great picture. :-)

      • donnaneely
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2 3:41 AM
          I assume this is a japanese game. Doggone, but i will look for it.

          There is another pic on the website that at least classifies
          as "sweet" - no guns. http://www.kurau.net/

          Bones is the studio involved. Not bad pedigree there, however no
          previous yuri subtext material that I see.

          Oh well something new to watch now that one of my favs Koi Kaze is
          ended. (Note: No yuri, obviously, but truly a work of brilliance in
          rendering deep emotions, and doing it at the pace it deserves. I also
          love the voice actor for Kochiro the protagnist. Kenta MIYAKE. also
          did narration in Ikku Tousen.)

          okay enough of my shameless plug for a work that does not deserve to
          be discussed here. But does richly deserve to be watched.

          regards, donnaneely

          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...>
          wrote:

          > > Promising?
          >
          > I have no idea if it has a single ounce of yuri, but I have a
          terrific
          > picture from the game with the two lead females - one laying on the
          > other, both with guns drawn and ready to shoot. To me it says,
          > "subtext yuri only" but it's still a great picture. :-)

        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3 9:36 AM
            On Jul 1, 2004, at 2:12 PM, atheniag wrote:

            > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...> wrote:
            >
            >> Promising?
            >
            > I have no idea if it has a single ounce of yuri, but I have a terrific
            > picture from the game with the two lead females - one laying on the
            > other, both with guns drawn and ready to shoot. To me it says,
            > "subtext yuri only" but it's still a great picture. :-)

            Uh, not to be a gloomy Gus, but the energy based lifeform angle puts a
            question mark on any potential yuri subtext for me here. How can we
            tell if what we may be seeing is based on genuine human emotion or just
            the closest human approximation of their natural state of being? . If I
            think about it the Rynax exists as a binary energy based lifeform, so
            I'm guessing things like sex, gender, and, I think, emotions, are
            pretty much meaningless in their natural state of existence, so we can
            attempt to define their existence/relationship in human terms, but I
            think, and especially if the writers are being honest, it's a
            translation that's somewhat lacking. Kind of like translating Japanese
            to English and back, I don't think you can express the full gamut of
            each existence completely.
            Anyway, it's not going to stop me from watching, because it was very
            riveting, I'm just not sure it'll be List material.

            -==-
            Serge
          • donnaneely
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3 11:35 AM
              I would compare it to the Trill in Star Treks Jadziha Dax (sic). The
              lifeform required a Human host? Hence fans were able to see two women
              resolving a romance that if it would have continued would have been -
              between two women with a trill inside one of them. Would you refuse
              to watch it cuz it wasnt Yuri - heck i was watching it repeatedly
              just cuz it WAS Yuri in every way imagery-wise. I mean lets not
              forget that imagery carries its own messages regardless of the in
              depth backstory.

              Also, lets not completely disregard that Kurau cried real tears at
              the arrival of her partner, as well as having considerable human
              variety angst whilst waiting 10 yrs for her partners arrival. And
              showed affection for her father whilst being a "energy based life
              form" that was explained as the human in her coming through.

              It occurs to me that many anime characters are embued with
              otherworldy characteristics or cyborg parts or whatever. I believe
              the demand for any List character to be utterly 100% human would
              likely result in many qualifiers being removed. Say the mech from
              Yokohama, Witch Anthy, Goddess in El Hazard, Devilman Lady, Digimon
              in Tamers, Vampire Princess Miyu, Jubei (who is a man actually),
              Steel Angel, etc etc etc,,,, have i made the point yet Serge???

              Makes me laugh that the guy who is still hoping for that yuri in
              Daphne is disregarding Kurau out of the box. So Serge you earned
              another laugh/chuckle from me.

              regards, donnaneely

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 3 2:13 PM
                >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

                >Uh, not to be a gloomy Gus, but the energy based lifeform angle puts a
                >question mark on any potential yuri subtext for me here. How can we
                >tell if what we may be seeing is based on genuine human emotion or just
                >the closest human approximation of their natural state of being? .

                You could ask that question of Alpha and Kokone in Yokohama Shopping Log,
                too, or the steel angel that obbsesses over Kurumi, too. I think that there
                has to be a hand-wave there. We have to assume that the emotion is real, or
                why bother to write it in at all?

              • Chalcahuite
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 3 9:11 PM
                  On Jul 3, 2004, at 5:13 PM, Erica Friedman wrote:

                  >> From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
                  >
                  >> Uh, not to be a gloomy Gus, but the energy based lifeform angle puts a
                  >> question mark on any potential yuri subtext for me here. How can we
                  >> tell if what we may be seeing is based on genuine human emotion or
                  >> just
                  >> the closest human approximation of their natural state of being? .
                  >
                  > You could ask that question of Alpha and Kokone in Yokohama Shopping
                  > Log,
                  > too, or the steel angel that obbsesses over Kurumi, too. I think that
                  > there
                  > has to be a hand-wave there. We have to assume that the emotion is
                  > real, or
                  > why bother to write it in at all?

                  Well, I don't know if Androids/robots/etc are a good example here,
                  since they're generally constructed from the start to emulate or
                  approximate the human experience, especially in these cases, as opposed
                  to completely alien life form with which I don't think we can
                  completely identify with. However, I understand the point you're
                  making, so I'll just chalk it up to over thinking things again. ;)

                  -==-
                  Serge
                • Chalcahuite
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 3 10:00 PM
                    On Jul 3, 2004, at 2:35 PM, donnaneely wrote:

                    > I would compare it to the Trill in Star Treks Jadziha Dax (sic). The
                    > lifeform required a Human host?

                    Well, Star Trek always plays a little fast and loose with the science
                    aspects of their stories, but I would argue that the Dax host, since
                    it's a living creature with a physical body is far easier to ascribe
                    the human experience to, then something that exists as pure energy.

                    > It occurs to me that many anime characters are embued with
                    > otherworldy characteristics or cyborg parts or whatever. I believe
                    > the demand for any List character to be utterly 100% human would
                    > likely result in many qualifiers being removed. etc etc etc,,,, have i
                    > made the point yet Serge???

                    I'm not advocating any sort of purity standard for the List; it's fine
                    the way it is. <mock outrage> And I'll thank you to let me jump to my
                    own conclusions, if you please. </>
                    And if the point is that it's sometimes necessary to ascribe the human
                    condition to things that are not human to tell a story, then yes, I
                    concede the point willingly. Though the difference that I find, and
                    has gotten me into trouble apparently, is that everyone you mentioned
                    in your list was either created by humans to mimic the human condition
                    or is based or related to humanity in some way. The Rynax are not at
                    all related to humanity in any aspect that I can tell, which is why I
                    questioned it.

                    > Makes me laugh that the guy who is still hoping for that yuri in
                    > Daphne is disregarding Kurau out of the box. So Serge you earned
                    > another laugh/chuckle from me.

                    Well, I'm glad I don't have to try so hard anymore to make you laugh.
                    Apparently the key is my inability to articulate coherently ;)

                    I wasn't completely disregarding Kurau out of the box, I was just
                    implying that the Rynax, since they are energy based life forms and
                    beyond our experience, threw up a flag for my inner science geek.
                    Obviously, if I weren't a bit of a hard SF fanboy, I wouldn't be in so
                    much trouble, now. :-P

                    -==-
                    Serge
                    "I'm taking my marbles, and going home!"
                  • Trishane Lee
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 3 11:51 PM
                      I think serge is taking it all a little too seriously. and who knows what energy based life forms can feel Have you ever known one?

                      Shane

                      Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:
                      On Jul 3, 2004, at 2:35 PM, donnaneely wrote:

                      > I would compare it to the Trill in Star Treks Jadziha Dax (sic). The
                      > lifeform required a Human host?

                      Well, Star Trek  always plays a little fast and loose with the science
                      aspects of their stories, but I would argue that the Dax host, since
                      it's a living creature with a physical body is far easier to ascribe
                      the human experience to, then something that exists as pure energy.

                      > It occurs to me that many anime characters are embued with
                      > otherworldy characteristics or cyborg parts or whatever. I believe
                      > the demand for any List character to be utterly 100% human would
                      > likely result in many qualifiers being removed. etc etc etc,,,, have i
                      > made the point yet Serge???

                      I'm not advocating any sort of purity standard for the List; it's fine
                      the way it is. <mock outrage> And I'll thank you to let me jump to my
                      own conclusions, if you please. </>
                      And if the point is that it's sometimes necessary to ascribe the human
                      condition to things that are not human to tell a story, then yes, I
                      concede the point willingly.  Though the difference that I find, and
                      has gotten me into trouble apparently, is that everyone you mentioned
                      in your list was either created by humans to mimic the human condition
                      or is based or related to humanity in some way. The Rynax are not at
                      all related to humanity in any aspect that I can tell, which is why I
                      questioned it.

                      > Makes me laugh that the guy who is still hoping for that yuri in
                      > Daphne is disregarding Kurau out of the box. So Serge you earned
                      > another laugh/chuckle from me.

                      Well, I'm glad I don't have to try so hard anymore to make you laugh.
                      Apparently the key is my inability to articulate coherently ;)

                      I wasn't completely disregarding Kurau out of the box, I was just
                      implying that the Rynax, since they are energy based life forms and
                      beyond our experience, threw up a flag for my inner science geek.
                      Obviously, if I weren't a bit of a hard SF fanboy, I wouldn't be in so
                      much trouble, now. :-P

                      -==-
                      Serge
                      "I'm taking my marbles, and going home!"

                      Do you Yahoo!?

                    • Chalcahuite
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 4 7:59 AM
                        On Jul 4, 2004, at 2:51 AM, Trishane Lee wrote:

                        > I think serge is taking it all a little too seriously.

                        Certainly, wouldn't be the first time. I'm just wired that way I guess.
                        ;)

                        -==-
                        Serge