Semi OT - Thought you might all get a kick out of this

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2004
      I'm so suggestible...I'm watching Wimbledon, which made me think of
      "Ace wo Nerae" which made me think of Billie jean King, because she
      (and Chrs Evert and Martina Navratilova) appear in the manga. Hiromi
      loses to BJK, in fact.

      So, I tracked down what Billie Jean is doing these days and sent the
      World Tennis Team organization this email:

      Dear Sir or Madam -

      I have no idea if anyone in your office cares to, or can get a message
      to, Billie Jean King, but I thought she might be amused to learn that
      she appeared in a popular Japanese comic of the 1970's called "Ace wo
      Nerae!" ("Aim for the Ace!"). It was a comic that told the story of a
      young tennis ace, Hiromi Oka. In a emotional climax, Hiromi lost to
      Ms. King in a world chamionship round.

      If Ms. King does not already have a copy, I'd be glad to provide her
      with one - this comic is being reprinted currently in honor of a new
      live-action version of the series.

      ***

      I don't bet I'll get a response, but if I *do*, I bet Billie Jean

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2004

        > I'm so suggestible...I'm watching Wimbledon, which made me think of
        > "Ace wo Nerae" which made me think of Billie jean King, because she
        > (and Chrs Evert and Martina Navratilova) appear in the manga. Hiromi
        > loses to BJK, in fact.

        Well, kids, I just got an email back from the WTT - Billie Jean King
        would LOVE to have a copy of the volumes of "Ace wo Nerae" where she
        appears. LOL How fun is that?

        As it happens, I'm heading for the bookstore today.

        I'll write up a nice letter of Yuricon propoganda and ship them along
        to Ms. King next week. If she writes back, I'll be *sure* to let you
        know!

      • annie
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2004
          That's awesome! I hope she personally replies.
          I just watched the women's Wimbledon Championship match. Whoa! I haven't
          been closely following women's tennis since Steffi Graf retired. I'm glad
          that Navratilova, at 47, is still making a few appearances--and recently in
          a big way. It was just too bad that Muaresmo didn't beat Serena in the
          semi. I would've enjoyed the final that much more.

          At 01:40 PM 7/3/2004 +0000, you wrote:
          >--- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@h...> wrote:
          >
          > > I'm so suggestible...I'm watching Wimbledon, which made me think of
          > > "Ace wo Nerae" which made me think of Billie jean King, because she
          > > (and Chrs Evert and Martina Navratilova) appear in the manga. Hiromi
          > > loses to BJK, in fact.
          >
          >Well, kids, I just got an email back from the WTT - Billie Jean King
          >would LOVE to have a copy of the volumes of "Ace wo Nerae" where she
          >appears. LOL How fun is that?
          >
          >As it happens, I'm heading for the bookstore today.
          >
          >I'll write up a nice letter of Yuricon propoganda and ship them along
          >to Ms. King next week. If she writes back, I'll be *sure* to let you
          >know!
          >
          >Cheers,
          >
          >Erica
        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2004
            On Jul 3, 2004, at 9:40 AM, atheniag wrote:

            > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@h...> wrote:
            >
            >> I'm so suggestible...I'm watching Wimbledon, which made me think of
            >> "Ace wo Nerae" which made me think of Billie jean King, because she
            >> (and Chrs Evert and Martina Navratilova) appear in the manga. Hiromi
            >> loses to BJK, in fact.
            >
            > Well, kids, I just got an email back from the WTT - Billie Jean King
            > would LOVE to have a copy of the volumes of "Ace wo Nerae" where she
            > appears. LOL How fun is that?

            Awesome. <wild speculation mode> Wouldn't it be great, if she got
            curious enough about the whole series, she had to have it translated
            and convinced some company to do it? And then did a big cross marketing
            campaign bringing more people to the industry in general, and our
            little slice of it specifically. </.>

            > As it happens, I'm heading for the bookstore today.
            >
            > I'll write up a nice letter of Yuricon propoganda and ship them along
            > to Ms. King next week. If she writes back, I'll be *sure* to let you
            > know!

            Sure, If nothing else, it's neat. ;)

            -==-
            Serge
          • donnaneely
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2004
              > On Jul 3, 2004, at 9:40 AM, atheniag wrote:
              >
              > > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@h...>
              wrote:

              > >> I'm so suggestible...I'm watching Wimbledon, which made me think
              of
              > >> "Ace wo Nerae" which made me think of Billie jean King, because
              she
              > >> (and Chrs Evert and Martina Navratilova) appear in the manga.
              Hiromi
              > >> loses to BJK, in fact.
              > >
              > > Well, kids, I just got an email back from the WTT - Billie Jean
              King
              > > would LOVE to have a copy of the volumes of "Ace wo Nerae" where
              she
              > > appears. LOL How fun is that?
              >
              > Awesome. <wild speculation mode> Wouldn't it be great, if she got
              > curious enough about the whole series, she had to have it
              translated
              > and convinced some company to do it? And then did a big cross
              marketing
              > campaign bringing more people to the industry in general, and our
              > little slice of it specifically. </.>

              <shudder> gosh lets hope they dont want to sure the Makers of Ace for
              using the persona of BJK without permission??????

              sorry but just occured to me there might be negative reasons for
              their interest.

              if not then yeah it is load of fun, donnaneely