Saiyuu no Ryokou: The Continuing Adventures of Yuriko, Issue 17

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2004
      [For Issues 1-14, visit http://www.yuricon.org/snb.htm.

      Saiyuu no Ryokou: The Continuing Adventures of Yuriko

      The Story So Far: Yuriko has been given a short moment of respite, of
      a sort, before the real work begins. She and Midori are taking a trip
      together.

      Volume 2, Issue 2

      "At Home"

      Yuriko drummed her fingers lightly against the armrest, as mile after
      mile of highway passed by. Midori seemed content enough, humming
      lightly along with the radio. Yuri watched the writer through
      half-lowered eyelids, admiring the relaxed way in which she drove.

      Midori turned to smile at the blonde. "Are you bored? You could sing
      for me, you know."

      Yuriko laughed. "I could, could I? Your voice is nice – you could
      always sing for me."

      Midori shook her head. "Not on a bet. I can't remember the words to
      anything – that's why I'm always humming."

      "I'm not bored," Yuriko said, answering the original question and
      handily changing the subject at the same time. "I'm getting a little
      hungry though."

      Midori glanced at the clock. "It's getting late – why don't we find
      somewhere to stay for the night. I think there are some nice
      traditional inns in the area – unless you're opposed to them?"

      "Not at all. I love traditional things – as long as I'm not required
      to actually *be* traditional or anything. Then I get a little touchy."

      ***

      The first two inns were full, but at last Midori was able to find them
      a room at a small, but very pleasant place. The owner clearly did not
      know who either of them were, which suited them fine.

      They were given a largish room at the end of the hall. After bringing
      in their overnight bags, Yuriko slid the door closed behind her and
      sighed. Midori giggled with the air of someone who has wangled a deal
      and is extremely pleased about it.

      "Okay, what was that all about?" Yuriko said narrowing her eyes at the
      smiling writer. "I know you must have said *something.*"

      "Honest," Midori said with an entirely guileless look, "I didn't say
      or do anything!"

      Yuriko nodded. "You just let him assume that we're newlyweds…am I
      close?"

      Midori laughed. "Very."

      Yuriko reached out and gathered the other woman into her arms. "Works
      for me," she said lightly and kissed Midori – not lightly at all.

      It was some time before either of them remembered how hungry they
      were.

      They lay on a futon, Midori's head cradled in the crook of Yuriko's
      arm. The sun was setting outside; the air was thick with smells of
      green things in a hot, wet atmosphere.

      "Bath or food?" Yuriko muttered.

      "Mmm, tough decision," Midori mumbled into Yuriko's shoulder. "Which
      is more pressing?"

      They lapsed into silence, as if waiting for a sign.

      "No 'on cue' stomach grumbles,'" Yuri said at last. "Bath it is."

      They struggled slowly to their feet, grabbing up various pieces of
      outer and under wear, straightening up their luggage and finding
      themselves some yukata.

      "I'll make sure the coast is clear," Midori offered. "Although it
      seems like we're alone here. I haven't heard anyone else since we
      arrived."

      "They're probably all out drinking or something."

      "Probably. Well, let's enjoy the bath while we can."

      Yuriko followed Midori down the hall to the main portion of the inn.
      There seemed to be no sign of life, except for the old man at the
      desk. They nodded to him and he barely removed his eyes from his TV as
      they passed.

      The bath was nothing special. Except, as Yuri happily commented, for
      the lovely attendant. Midori made a half-hearted splash in her
      direction, but didn't bother to take offense.

      "I could get used to this," Yuriko said contentedly, as she lowered
      her body into the tub.

      "You say that every time you get into a bath, darling." Midori
      laughed.

      Yuriko beamed. "And I mean it, too! I'm willing to learn to live an
      aquatic life, really."

      Midori scooted closer. "But what about me? If you won't leave the
      bath, I'll hardly ever see you, since I'm disgustingly land bound."

      "Hmmm, there is that." Yuri conceded. "Maybe if you make it worth my
      while, I might be persuaded to..."

      Midori's hand slid up Yuriko's leg. "I can be very persuasive, she
      whispered.

      "Mmm, so can I." Yuri said, as she lowered her mouth to Midori's.
      "Maybe I can persuade you to stay here with me."

      "Maybe."

      ***

      By the time they left the bath, a few fellow travelers were straggling
      back to the inn, looking worn out and drunk. Midori and Yuriko nodded
      at two men in business suits whose pink faces and unsteady attested to
      their evening occupation. The two men bowed and didn't give them a
      second glance. Yuriko shared a relieved smile with Midori.

      "I think we've managed to find the one corner of Japan where we're
      completely unknown," the idol said with mixed emotions.

      "That's not that surprising, really," Midori said, as they entered
      their room. "We're well off the beaten track here. And Tokyo is far
      away."

      "Several hours by car – or train. Far away." Yuriko mused. "The pace
      of life is different out here. I'm so used to the city, I'd forgotten
      that."

      There was a soft knock on the door and a movement. The manager's wife
      called out in a tremulous voice.

      "I'm sorry to disturb you, but we thought you might be hungry...I'll
      just leave the food here."

      There was another movement, and the soft grunt of an older woman
      rising from a kneeling position.

      After a polite pause, which allowed the woman to withdraw, Midori
      opened the door and took in the platter that had been left for them.
      She slid the door closed and grinned over at the blonde.

      "Let's see," she purred, "Rice, pickled vegetables, eel, octopus," she
      laughed, "I bet it was killing them that they couldn't put oysters on
      the tray."

      Yuriko laughed. "I see..."

      "Well," Midori brought the tray over to where Yuriko sat. "I see no
      reason to disappoint the owners."

      "Mmm," Yuriko grunted, as she bit down on the eel that Midori offered
      her. "Me neither."

      The room was dark and the remains of dinner had been set outside the
      room. Yuriko pushed the hair out of her eye and leered pleasantly at
      her lover. Midori sat propped against one wall; her yukata hanging
      obscenely off one shoulder, most of one breast visible.

      Yuriko leaned forward to tease that visible flesh with a kiss. Just as
      she had Midori pulling her closer, a harsh, insistent noise
      interrupted the mood.

      "What on earth?" Yuriko demanded, as the noise repeated.

      "It's your phone," Midori said, her voice sharp with annoyance.
      "Kishi-san calling."

      "My phone?" Yuriko asked, confused. The noise repeated. "That sounds
      like a..." she sighed. "Anyway, ignore it." The sound stopped. Yuriko
      sighed again, this time with evident relief, then did a double-take.
      "How did you know that that was Kishi?" she asked the writer
      suspiciously.

      Midori smiled roguishly. "I customized your ring tones."

      "You what?"

      Midori sat up and shrugged her yukata back into place. "I customized
      your ring tones. So your phone rings differently for Kishi-san, Mariko
      and myself."

      Yuriko blinked at Midori, unable or unwilling to speak. At last she
      opened her mouth, but was interrupted by the return of the insistent
      noise that was her phone.

      "I'm not getting it." Yuriko glared at the writer, then leaned
      forward, attempting to pick up where they left off. Her lips just
      brushed her lover's when a second noise sounded and Yuriko jumped back
      with a shout.

      "Now what?" she cried.

      Midori looked apologetic. "That's my phone - my agent calling."

      Yuriko allowed herself the luxury of a snarled curse and slid over to
      her jacket. She extracted out the still ringing phone as Midori,
      somewhat subdued, slid across the floor to retrieve her own. "After I
      take this call, we're going to have a talk about your tech otaku
      tendencies, young lady." Yuriko glared at Midori, who just smiled back
      unrepentantly and spoke smoothly into her own cell.

      To Be Continued