RE: [Yuricon] Re: Back on Topic: PGSM Thoughts

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2004
      >From: "Jim Ghiloni" <jghiloni@...>

      >I don't know, I think she's doing ok. I figure that, as an idol, she's
      >always "on". Since we usually see her when she is offstage or alone, it
      >makes sense that she'd be very low key in those situations. When she gets
      >to be Sailor Venus, she gets to work off her frustrations/fears/etc and
      >thus is a lot more "energetic". My general thought about Venus/Minako is
      >that we don't see anywhere near enough of her. I'm looking forward to when
      >they resolve the "Venus is dying" plot and let her become one of the team
      >full-time.

      I'm with you 100% on all of this. I think she's stunningly cool as Aino
      Minako, pop idol. I mean, can you *imagine* how difficult it must be to be
      instantly recognizable?

      One of the by-products of having written Yuriko, is the constant reminder
      that idols and stars, etc, are just people and nothing more. I have a
      creeping horror of fans now, and am always disconcerted when I get fans of
      my own, because even in my teeny, tiny way, I get letters from fans who
      think they know me, or want something from me that either doesn't exist or I
      can't/won't give. And I'm not anyone at *all.* I can't imagine how stressful
      it is to be Britney Spears, with millions upon millions of people who desire
      you or bits of you. It's absolutely appalling to think about.

      Besides, if Minako does think she's dying, that alone would kind of make her
      subdued, too, don't you think?

      What I like best about her is that she plays Venus so very well - you can
      *see* that she wants to be part of the group, but feels like she simply
      can't do it, for their own good. And she's darn cute. :-)

    • atua101
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2004
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ghiloni" <jghiloni@v...> wrote:

        > I don't know, I think she's doing ok. I figure that, as an idol,
        she's
        > always "on".

        Except when she isn't. I just think Minako's actress comes off badly
        when compared to Ami or Rei's actresses. Especially when I feel that
        they've both got more "stage charisma" than the person who's suppose
        to play the idol.

        > Since we usually see her when she is offstage or alone, it
        > makes sense that she'd be very low key in those situations.

        Being low-key offstage and in private is one thing, but my problem is
        Minako's acting *on-stage*. This is especially apparent during earlier
        clips of Minako's on stage performances, where she's noticably lacking
        a certain pazazz or spark.

        I'm just thinking of other idols (Japanese or otherwise, like the
        Olsen twins) of a similar age to Minako, and they generally come
        across as been a lot more polished than Minako in
        performance/interview situations.

        When she gets
        > to be Sailor Venus, she gets to work off her frustrations/fears/etc
        and
        > thus is a lot more "energetic". My general thought about
        Venus/Minako is
        > that we don't see anywhere near enough of her. I'm looking forward
        to when
        > they resolve the "Venus is dying" plot and let her become one of the
        team
        > full-time.

        On the other hand, I like Venus (as opposed to Minako) just fine.
        She's actually my second favourite senshi in PGSM (after Mercury). I'm
        looking forward to all the Venus/Mars stouches! ^^

        ~atua