More trivial information, but on Topic

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004
      In the June issue of Newtype magazine, in their Japan Now section,
      which contains stats and information from about 3 months ago, our
      favorite Sato Sei clocks in at #9 of the Top Ten Most Popular Female
      Characters. Which I thought was particularly impressive, considering
      the rest of the list is populated by Full Metal Alchemist and Gundam
      Seed characters and Ayanami Rei. I don't know if means anything
      really, but feel free to draw your own conclusions. ;)

      -==-
      Serge
    • Ka-chan
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004
        > In the June issue of Newtype magazine, in their Japan Now section,
        > which contains stats and information from about 3 months ago, our
        > favorite Sato Sei clocks in at #9 of the Top Ten Most Popular
        > Female Characters.

        I saw this as well...and I was very *__* over it. :D Hope she crawls
        up higher. ^^

        On another note, I was very annoyed with this particular issue. Why?
        Several reasons. (Some are still on topic, honest).

        Firstly, the new manga after the lovely artful shoujo-ai Angel//Dust
        is...<drum roll> Chrno Crusade. Could we get a bit more on the polar
        opposite side, please?

        Secondly, did anyone read their synopsis of episode 11 of Marimite?
        For those who don't know these by heart, it is the episode in which
        Sei has her own little spotlight - the past episode with Shiori. Oh,
        darnit. I'll just quote.

        "Everyone is wondering about the author of Ibara no Mori. Yumi,
        Yoshino, and Rei go to the publisher to get more information."

        <stares> Pardon me...but didn't that happened in the episode
        *previous*? Are the editors at Newtype afraid of something? Or does
        that seem paranoid of me?

        Thirdly, perhaps it would be due to my not paying close enough
        attention to these posts, but wasn't it slated that Air Master would
        have the title of Battle Vixens? To my distinct and utter dismay
        (besides the nice pictures anyhow) I found that it is appearantly
        the title for Ikkitousen, of all things. <_< Not to mention that
        it's review was subsequently a bashfest. Honestly. I don't know why
        Ikkitousen gets *so* much flak, when shows like Ten-ten are promoted
        above them. At least the fighters of Ikkitousen have a fate bound
        *reason* to fight, dammit.

        Lastly...is it just me...or are their responses in the Newtype Forum
        to the readers becoming ever-cockier? Somehow they seem very rude in
        their responses...

        Hm. Managed to stay on topic for 3 of 4 points. Go me.

        ~Ka-chan (who goes to crawl into her dark lurker hole once more)~
      • Chalcahuite
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004
          On Jun 7, 2004, at 12:35 PM, Ka-chan wrote:

          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
          >> In the June issue of Newtype magazine, in their Japan Now section,
          >> which contains stats and information from about 3 months ago, our
          >> favorite Sato Sei clocks in at #9 of the Top Ten Most Popular
          >> Female Characters.
          >
          > I saw this as well...and I was very *__* over it. :D Hope she crawls
          > up higher. ^^

          I'd be even more impressed if she did, or even maintained the position
          for another month. I think it's a testament to the fabulousness of Sei
          that her fans voted early and often enough to crack the top ten.;) As
          I said, I'm not sure of it's significance, other than that, since we're
          really getting this dated info without any real context.

          > Firstly, the new manga after the lovely artful shoujo-ai Angel//Dust
          > is...<drum roll> Chrno Crusade. Could we get a bit more on the polar
          > opposite side, please?

          Considering ADV runs Newtype-USA and has the licenses for both the
          anime and manga, no it's not that odd. Before Angel/Dust they were
          running Full Metal Panic, so really Angel/Dust was the odd ball, as
          there was no anime or manga novels to cross-promote.
          Oh wait, you mean from a story perspective. ;) I think Angel/Dust
          originally ran in Newtype Japan, so I'm guessing it wasn't intended as
          shoujo-ai. I think it was more of a shonen short story with
          yuri-implications, which would fit with Newtype's style, especially
          since there was no exploration or resolution to any of the
          relationships really.

          > <stares> Pardon me...but didn't that happened in the episode
          > *previous*? Are the editors at Newtype afraid of something? Or does
          > that seem paranoid of me?

          Yes, you're being paranoid. (But that doesn't mean *they* aren't out to
          get you. ;) All the "synopses" are really just teasers, they apparently
          don't want to spoil anything, even though it will be years before we
          get to see Episode 195 of One Piece and Episode 31415 of Matantei
          Conan.

          > Thirdly, perhaps it would be due to my not paying close enough
          > attention to these posts, but wasn't it slated that Air Master would
          > have the title of Battle Vixens? To my distinct and utter dismay
          > (besides the nice pictures anyhow) I found that it is appearantly
          > the title for Ikkitousen, of all things. <_< Not to mention that
          > it's review was subsequently a bashfest. Honestly. I don't know why
          > Ikkitousen gets *so* much flak, when shows like Ten-ten are promoted
          > above them. At least the fighters of Ikkitousen have a fate bound
          > *reason* to fight, dammit.

          Tokyopop got the license for the Ikkitousen manga and decided that it
          needed to change the name for marketing (I guess?) and called it
          Battle Vixens. (ADV, I think, has the license for the anime but is
          leaving the title as Ikkitousen.) Air Master, as far as I know, is
          still unlicensed.
          Honestly, Ikkitousen, gets a lot of flak because it's not really all
          that well written, and has really excessive fanservice. Ten-Ten is
          better written and has less excessive fanservice, even though you're
          completely right about the premise of both titles, Ikkitousen having
          the weightier background. Regardless, Ikkitousen beats Ten-Ten because
          of one word: Ryoumou. Forget that her author has no idea what to do
          with her, Ryoumou still rocks.

          > Lastly...is it just me...or are their responses in the Newtype Forum
          > to the readers becoming ever-cockier? Somehow they seem very rude in
          > their responses...

          If it was my job to answer letters from fanboys and fangirls all day, I
          might just be a bit snarky too.

          -==-
          Serge
        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004
            Oh, BTW, this is mainly for Erica, but I thought I'd share with you all
            anyway. In the June issue of Newtype is a fluff interview with Park
            Romi in which she talks about voicing Ed from Full Metal Alchemist. She
            is looking very stylish in the pictures they took, I dig her outfit and
            glasses.

            -==-
            Serge
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004

              > Yes, you're being paranoid. (But that doesn't mean *they* aren't out
              > get you. ;) All the "synopses" are really just teasers, they
              apparently
              > don't want to spoil anything, even though it will be years before we
              > get to see Episode 195 of One Piece and Episode 31415 of Matantei
              > Conan.

              Actually, Serge - ep. 195 of One Piece ran this week on Japanese TV.
              With luck, I'll get to see it today. :-)

              OTOH, 31415 of Conan will probably take a week or so to air. ;-)

              > Regardless, Ikkitousen beats Ten-Ten because
              > of one word: Ryoumou. Forget that her author has no idea what to do
              > with her, Ryoumou still rocks.

              YYYYYYessssss!
              Ryomou is da bomb.

              > If it was my job to answer letters from fanboys and fangirls all
              day, I
              > might just be a bit snarky too.

              I spent all weekend talking to fanboys and girls and I was well beyond
              snarky in mere minutes. In fact, I spent most of the weekend in full
              Fury mode, because I have no intention of ever returning to Texas and
              I didn't care who I insulted. It was cathartic and fun. I feel very
              happy about it. :-)

              ("If you're not going to buy it, why are you asking if we have it?
              Asshole.")
            • Chalcahuite
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004
                On Jun 7, 2004, at 3:22 PM, atheniag wrote:

                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
                >
                >> Yes, you're being paranoid. (But that doesn't mean *they* aren't out
                >> get you. ;) All the "synopses" are really just teasers, they
                > apparently
                >> don't want to spoil anything, even though it will be years before we
                >> get to see Episode 195 of One Piece and Episode 31415 of Matantei
                >> Conan.
                >
                > Actually, Serge - ep. 195 of One Piece ran this week on Japanese TV.
                > With luck, I'll get to see it today. :-)

                Oh, sure, ruin a perfectly good point with facts, why don't you. ;)

                > I spent all weekend talking to fanboys and girls and I was well beyond
                > snarky in mere minutes. In fact, I spent most of the weekend in full
                > Fury mode, because I have no intention of ever returning to Texas and
                > I didn't care who I insulted. It was cathartic and fun. I feel very
                > happy about it. :-)

                Had a good time in the Lone Star State, then? ;)

                -==-
                Serge
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004

                  > Had a good time in the Lone Star State, then? ;)

                  Loads. I saw Cannibal Women and it renewed my belief that Adrienne
                  Barbeau is a goddes who walks among us. It also spawned an obsession
                  with Man Jerky among myself and my roommates.

                  Better, however, was Petticoat Planet, with it's overt lesbian rubbing
                  and hot sherriff with gigantic hoop earrings. It was a hysterically
                  funny soft-core movie from which i have taken my final words:

                  "Give me a bottle a redeye and a crazy straw."

                  LOL

                • Chalcahuite
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004
                    On Jun 7, 2004, at 4:11 PM, atheniag wrote:

                    > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Had a good time in the Lone Star State, then? ;)
                    >
                    > Loads. I saw Cannibal Women and it renewed my belief that Adrienne
                    > Barbeau is a goddes who walks among us. It also spawned an obsession
                    > with Man Jerky among myself and my roommates.

                    Does this mean we shouldn't bring it up with us for AnimeNext, now that
                    you've seen it?

                    > Better, however, was Petticoat Planet, with it's overt lesbian rubbing
                    > and hot sherriff with gigantic hoop earrings. It was a hysterically
                    > funny soft-core movie from which i have taken my final words:
                    >
                    > "Give me a bottle a redeye and a crazy straw."

                    Sounds fabulous, do you have a copy or do we need to get one?

                    -==-
                    Serge
                  • kate0211@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004
                      In a message dated 6/7/2004 4:20:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, anilesbocon01@... writes:
                      > Loads. I saw Cannibal Women and it renewed my belief that Adrienne
                      > Barbeau is a goddes who walks among us. It also spawned an obsession
                      > with Man Jerky among myself and my roommates.
                      I saw Adrienne Barbeau on "Drew Carey" last week, and bemoaned how the last 15 years have treated her.  But I loved her in "Swamp Thing" and some of those other really bad films way back in my childhood.  I'm assuming that "Cannibal Women" would be one of those.  :)

                      Katya
                    • donnaneely
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 8, 2004
                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Ka-chan" <firesenshimars@y...> wrote:

                        > Secondly, did anyone read their synopsis of episode 11 of Marimite?
                        > For those who don't know these by heart, it is the episode in which
                        > Sei has her own little spotlight - the past episode with Shiori.
                        Oh, darnit. I'll just quote.
                        > "Everyone is wondering about the author of Ibara no Mori. Yumi,
                        > Yoshino, and Rei go to the publisher to get more information."
                        >
                        > <stares> Pardon me...but didn't that happened in the episode
                        > *previous*? Are the editors at Newtype afraid of something? Or
                        does that seem paranoid of me?

                        Just wanted to weigh in here. I agree that they went out of their way
                        to obscure the content of the episdoe - and the avoiding spoiler
                        thing doenst fly for me. They could have mentioned it being an
                        episode about Sei and a friend at minimum. Viewers would read
                        between the lines and known what to hope for, if they already know
                        the show.

                        FTR,it wouldnt surprise me if Newtype had carefully managed that
                        description - after all it is NEWTYPE which has an horrendous Fan
                        Service oriented approach in their entire magazine. In fact, for
                        amusement, I am counting the number of letters that they post from
                        female readers asking if they even realize that female fans read the
                        mag too. Must be more then I see if they even bother to post one or
                        two.