Not-flames

  • what is a dooky
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2004
      I was curious... how do the fanfic writers here deal with reviews and
      feedback that, while not flames, still manage to be incredibly
      insulting? For instance, I received this gem with regards to one of
      my El-Hazard yuri fics:

      "This story is good, considering the fact that it managed to
      entertain a die-hard hater of homosexuals like me..."

      I recieved an identical review for my Cardcaptor Sakura fic.
      Amusingly, the same writer emailed me asking for a review of his El-
      Hazard story, but since even fis ff.n profile describes him as
      a "small, wiry faggot-basher supreme," I can't say I'm enthralled by
      the prospect.

      Now, I've no idea how to approach this. The sensible thing would,
      naturally, be to ignore it and get on with my life. But given that
      the reviews on ff.n are there for all to see, I feel distinctly
      uncomfortable with the idea of somebody spouting homophobia in the
      guise of complimenting me.

      (Oh, one possibility that has occurred to me is that said reviewer
      didn't actually read my stories, but instead fired off three quick
      reviews in an attempt to get me to read his story in return)

      It's interesting though... rather than getting flamed for my work, I
      just seem to attract nutters. I wonder how this compares to the
      experiences of other writers on this list...

      dooky
    • Alan Harnum
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2004
        Sounds like a troll to me. I wouldn't even bother.

        You can write something that isn't a flame and still not be worth paying
        attention to. I can understand discomfort with the review being public;
        if you're that uncomfortable, speak to the administrators and see about
        getting it removed. Otherwise, I'd just put it down to the nature of the
        Internet, where learning to have a thick skin is sort of a necessary
        survival technique.

        -Alan

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2004
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "what is a dooky" <spookydooky@h...>
          wrote:

          > I was curious... how do the fanfic writers here deal with reviews
          and
          > feedback that, while not flames, still manage to be incredibly
          > insulting? For instance, I received this gem with regards to one of
          > my El-Hazard yuri fics:

          I grade them for spellimg, grammar and content and send the comments
          back.