Re: Live Action Sailor Moon 32 (mild spoiler)

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2 5:55 AM
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...> wrote:
      > okay okay its been slow on the list so i figured i would give all of
      > you something to read.....

      > So was I to understand from cutting from one to the other of Queen
      > Beryl and what's her name the Two-faced Idol that one is the current
      > time track representative of my swoonable favorite Villianess from
      > the alternate time zone? That would certainly explain why the Two-
      > Faced Idol is hanging around so long. But this does not bode well
      for
      > this story line ending anytime soon. dangit.

      There is certainly hinting going on the Queen Beryl and Mio are linked
      in some way, but we've got no concrete proof of anything yet.

      > Also, i confess here and now, I do NOT like the human representation
      > of Luca/Luka(sorry cant remember spelling). I did not see the Luca
      > persona as a pre-teen girl at all. I dont care if she is a know-it-
      > all. To me it further infantilizes an already hamfisted, thus more
      > juvenile, rendering of the series. I know we might not see the Outer
      > Senshi, but if we do, how on earth will they be rendered truly in
      > this "Pretty Cure" age-geared, commodified presentation???

      Luna. The cat. The author of Sailor Moon, Takeuchi Naoko, has been
      adamant from the beginning when she created the series in the 90's
      that Luna is her favorite character and that she wanted nothing more
      than to give her a human form. If you read the Freetalk in Vol. 11, I
      believe, of the Sailor Moon manga - even in the American version -
      you'll read her unhappy rant that the powers that be resisted this
      quite strongly. So she wrote a story wherein Luna becomes human...and
      this was made into the Sailor Moon S Movie.

      So basically, we're stuck with Luna as a girl.

      As for age - there's two issues here. One is, as a cat, Luna wouldn't
      be that old - cats don't live *that* long.

      Much more importantly, you've got to remember the economics. The show
      is STILL on at Saturday at 7:30 AM. The audience is still little kids
      and their moms (you can see the targeting of the mother audience more
      and more in the commercials). Now that the young girls have all grown
      up a bit - Usagi is obsessed with a guy...what 5 year old cares about
      *that?* - they probably made Luna the age they did to give the younger
      audience someone to identify with. Not to mention the "moe" fandom,
      who obsess about cute little girls in ways that are entirely
      inappropriate.

      For my part, I'm much more interested in the bonding between Rei and
      Ami that's going on in the last and this week's episodes. The world
      needs more Ami/Rei pairings. :-)

    • computer_gremlin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2 9:05 AM
        I'm such a junkie for this series.

        I think Queen Beryl is stone cold pimping. I love how she struts out with
        the same dramatic evil theme music each time, arms outstretched out so she
        doesn't F*** herself up with her own nails. Those nails prove that she is
        ultra cool cause she doesn't need her hands to pick thinges up or to wipe
        her own butt. She has henchmen for that stuff. She is just that hardcore! I
        also enjoy when Beyl verbally abuses her boys for getting their butts
        kicked by a bunch of 14-year-old girly girls. "Where's my energy? Don't
        make Beryl-Sama cut a bitch!"

        Queen Beryl had to he-man pimp slap Zoicite in Act 32. I think this was way
        over due. Zoicite really hasn't been doing crap but hanging out, playing
        piano and talking about the good ol' days with Master. I think it is a bit
        forward of Zoicite to keep appearing in Chiba Mamoru/Prince Endymion's
        room. How does he know if Endymion is on the John or not? I find Zoicite to
        be just a tad bit obsessive. If I were Zoicite, I would be astro-projecting
        myself into some better locations then Endymion's apartment.

        My favorite henchman is definitely Kunzite. He transformed Sailor Mercury
        into his evil possessed saucy minion doll simply to mess with the Sailors.
        Good stuff! His plan to kill Endymion seems to be a good idea as well.

        The two-faced idol chick annoys me completely. I really can't wait till
        that issue is resolved. I find her nose distracting.

        I feel very bad for karaoke turtle boy. He has a car. Why doesn't he get
        more play?

        Well, guess that is enough for now. Back to the real world. I have work to
        do. See you guys later.

        -Donna