Live Action Sailor Moon 32 (mild spoiler)

  • donnaneely
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
      okay okay its been slow on the list so i figured i would give all of
      you something to read.....

      So was I to understand from cutting from one to the other of Queen
      Beryl and what's her name the Two-faced Idol that one is the current
      time track representative of my swoonable favorite Villianess from
      the alternate time zone? That would certainly explain why the Two-
      Faced Idol is hanging around so long. But this does not bode well for
      this story line ending anytime soon. dangit.

      Also, i confess here and now, I do NOT like the human representation
      of Luca/Luka(sorry cant remember spelling). I did not see the Luca
      persona as a pre-teen girl at all. I dont care if she is a know-it-
      all. To me it further infantilizes an already hamfisted, thus more
      juvenile, rendering of the series. I know we might not see the Outer
      Senshi, but if we do, how on earth will they be rendered truly in
      this "Pretty Cure" age-geared, commodified presentation???

      donnaneely
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...> wrote:
        > okay okay its been slow on the list so i figured i would give all of
        > you something to read.....

        > So was I to understand from cutting from one to the other of Queen
        > Beryl and what's her name the Two-faced Idol that one is the current
        > time track representative of my swoonable favorite Villianess from
        > the alternate time zone? That would certainly explain why the Two-
        > Faced Idol is hanging around so long. But this does not bode well
        for
        > this story line ending anytime soon. dangit.

        There is certainly hinting going on the Queen Beryl and Mio are linked
        in some way, but we've got no concrete proof of anything yet.

        > Also, i confess here and now, I do NOT like the human representation
        > of Luca/Luka(sorry cant remember spelling). I did not see the Luca
        > persona as a pre-teen girl at all. I dont care if she is a know-it-
        > all. To me it further infantilizes an already hamfisted, thus more
        > juvenile, rendering of the series. I know we might not see the Outer
        > Senshi, but if we do, how on earth will they be rendered truly in
        > this "Pretty Cure" age-geared, commodified presentation???

        Luna. The cat. The author of Sailor Moon, Takeuchi Naoko, has been
        adamant from the beginning when she created the series in the 90's
        that Luna is her favorite character and that she wanted nothing more
        than to give her a human form. If you read the Freetalk in Vol. 11, I
        believe, of the Sailor Moon manga - even in the American version -
        you'll read her unhappy rant that the powers that be resisted this
        quite strongly. So she wrote a story wherein Luna becomes human...and
        this was made into the Sailor Moon S Movie.

        So basically, we're stuck with Luna as a girl.

        As for age - there's two issues here. One is, as a cat, Luna wouldn't
        be that old - cats don't live *that* long.

        Much more importantly, you've got to remember the economics. The show
        is STILL on at Saturday at 7:30 AM. The audience is still little kids
        and their moms (you can see the targeting of the mother audience more
        and more in the commercials). Now that the young girls have all grown
        up a bit - Usagi is obsessed with a guy...what 5 year old cares about
        *that?* - they probably made Luna the age they did to give the younger
        audience someone to identify with. Not to mention the "moe" fandom,
        who obsess about cute little girls in ways that are entirely
        inappropriate.

        For my part, I'm much more interested in the bonding between Rei and
        Ami that's going on in the last and this week's episodes. The world
        needs more Ami/Rei pairings. :-)

      • computer_gremlin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
          I'm such a junkie for this series.

          I think Queen Beryl is stone cold pimping. I love how she struts out with
          the same dramatic evil theme music each time, arms outstretched out so she
          doesn't F*** herself up with her own nails. Those nails prove that she is
          ultra cool cause she doesn't need her hands to pick thinges up or to wipe
          her own butt. She has henchmen for that stuff. She is just that hardcore! I
          also enjoy when Beyl verbally abuses her boys for getting their butts
          kicked by a bunch of 14-year-old girly girls. "Where's my energy? Don't
          make Beryl-Sama cut a bitch!"

          Queen Beryl had to he-man pimp slap Zoicite in Act 32. I think this was way
          over due. Zoicite really hasn't been doing crap but hanging out, playing
          piano and talking about the good ol' days with Master. I think it is a bit
          forward of Zoicite to keep appearing in Chiba Mamoru/Prince Endymion's
          room. How does he know if Endymion is on the John or not? I find Zoicite to
          be just a tad bit obsessive. If I were Zoicite, I would be astro-projecting
          myself into some better locations then Endymion's apartment.

          My favorite henchman is definitely Kunzite. He transformed Sailor Mercury
          into his evil possessed saucy minion doll simply to mess with the Sailors.
          Good stuff! His plan to kill Endymion seems to be a good idea as well.

          The two-faced idol chick annoys me completely. I really can't wait till
          that issue is resolved. I find her nose distracting.

          I feel very bad for karaoke turtle boy. He has a car. Why doesn't he get
          more play?

          Well, guess that is enough for now. Back to the real world. I have work to
          do. See you guys later.

          -Donna