Houkago, "After School"

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 10:56 AM
      About a week ago, I wrote a preliminary review of a new serial in
      "Cookie" monthly, called Houkago, or After School. I wasn't sure
      whether it was really a serial, or a one-shot or what, but it appears
      to have been a two-shot, and this week I found the second half.

      So, to recap - Itoi has been increasingly subject to teasing at
      school, but has found refuge in the company of cool loner Ariyoshi,
      walking hand in hand through Shibuya.

      In chapter 2, they have decide that they can't baear to go back home,
      or to school, so they wander all night long, catching naps in cafes or
      karaoke booths, avoiding the cops and trying not to get picked up by
      dangerous guys.

      Eventually Ariyoshi looks so bad that Itoi coughs up her last cash for
      a hotel room, where, in a quiet moment, they kiss. Things might have
      gotten heavier at that point, but one of them hits a button by the bed
      which sets off a noisy thing and they are scared witless until they
      find the command to turn it off. After they recover, they embrace and
      spend the night together, after confessing their love.

      Rumors abound at school, but now, buoyed by their newfound love, they
      basically don't care and the end of the chapter has them looking
      forward to more time together in Shibuya. Ta-da.

      Once again, I'm not really sure if this is the end of the story -
      although I think that this time it is. It's a cute little shoujoai,
      worth taking a look at, but not groundbreaking.