Re: Sensei no Ojikan 3 & 4

  • atua101
    Message 1 of 4 , May 24, 2004
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...> wrote:
      > What lovely frothy fun this series is.......such a nice, and
      > positive, respite from all the angsty doom and gloom.
      >
      > the yuri and yaoi continue strongly. definite keeper.

      Hmmm, I can see how people might like this series, but Sensei no
      Ojikan is a serious disappointment. Every time I see it, I can't help
      but be reminded of how much better a series Azumanga Daioh is. Most of
      the jokes just feel like cheap gags and I didn't find the first couple
      of episodes funny at all, whereas in Azumanga I was hooked from the
      first episode (more precisely, after the first Yukari-sensei indident
      <g>).

      The characters in SnO are rather stereotyped and 2D; the same joke
      gets used for the same person over and over and over... (eg Kitagawa
      -> Mika-sensei, Kudo -> Suetake) whereas in Azumanga, they build the
      jokes up so that subsequent jokes that build on the first gag are both
      funny and explores an aspect of the person's personality as well.

      Admittedly I did think episode 4 was a significant improvement over
      the previous 3 episodes. I liked the whole summer festival scene, and
      the Nakamura/oyaji reversal was good too.

      ~atua