Unforgivable! Key the Medal Idol (spoilers)

  • donnaneely
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2004
      I was enjoying Key TMI very much until......the creators perpetuated
      a most upsetting action upon me as a viewer. One that I have seen
      before yes, but still enrages me. I was completely cast out of the
      story and almost did not complete watching the series.

      Reading all the comments here - and thank you all for them - i now
      wonder if I was hallucinating???

      Also, I was completely wrapped up in the meta-theme of Patriarchy
      overthrowing Matriarchy that overarches the entire series. Done
      differently in that the Matriarchal power was represented only by one
      village and one line of women, but the theme was there nonetheless -
      with the patriarchy well represented by the military-industrial
      complex. Did anyone else see this - or am i again on some illicit
      chemical?

      (By the way, I am happy to send on my copy of the series - for FREE -
      to anyone interested in viewing and weighing in on Key for
      themselves. I wont be keeping it sadly)

      For those who have watched the series....Episode 14 is the one to
      which i refer. The first of the 90 minute episodes. As you would
      recall, in amongst the extended talking-amongst-men scenes, we have
      the delicious piece of character development by Sakura whereupon she
      must come to terms with her fear of Key and Keys power. This scene
      unfolds as a background to the lengthy (and horrible creative
      decision) backstory telling. Key is trying to recover from an episode
      and stumble over to Sakura and falls into her arms/lap on the floor.
      This is also the first of the "distancing our characters from Yuri
      implications" gestures. For Key falls into her arms while calling for
      her Mother. So of course we understand TOTALLY that Key is looking
      for nurture and comfort - FINE! She needed that desperately. Sakura
      trembles and hesitates in fear before finally embracing Key. How well
      done that was! Realistic for Sakuras development to that point.

      After a couple of cuts to her comforting Key and letting her sleep -
      the final lengthy cut has Sakura talking to Key, and that is the
      revelation that they are half-sisters. Again another - no this is not
      Yuri moment - by the creators. Okay I am disappointed, but I am fine
      with that. It is a beautifully portrayed relationship, half sisters
      or not, with realistic emotional development like in Haibane Renmei.

      Then the UNFORGIVABLE - she says (well at least in my Viz version) "I
      feel uncomfortable holding you this way since we are both
      girls" !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Why on earth does she have to say that
      there!!!! Key is a wreck, she needs a mother, they are sisters - how
      much more comfortable can the setting be to hold and nurture
      someone in so much trouble!?!?!?!?!??! In my view the ONLY reason
      for that line is that the creators were completely uncomfortable with
      the relationship THEMSELVES - homophobic is what I see. Seeing a need
      to deny sexuality where there is none!!!!

      From that moment on I could not pay attention to anything else that
      happened.

      I was more outraged when they killed off Sakura ( for absolutely no
      good plot reason in my view) because if they knew they were killing
      her off - WHY ON EARTH did they have to deny any possibility of
      relationship so blatantly??!?!?!?!? So unnecessary!!!!

      And to me so saddening. It just broke my heart. I was so wrapped up
      in Sakura - her struggle with trying to love and care for Key despite
      Keys troubling powers. Her struggle to earn money, her refusal to
      be "idolized". She was such a terrific female character!!!!! So
      passionate and spontaneous and giving. Damn it.

      So the rest of the show didnt matter to me - i watched like a
      homework assignment. It was a further aggravation to count the bodies
      of the dead at the end - every single woman character that had the
      power or cared for Key - but most of the men that cared for Key
      lived. Even the perverted, gross Agent from the begining was brought
      back to be a hero - SO WHY COULDNT SAKURA BE A HERO TOO!!!

      I was just so upset...........as I am sure that anyone still here
      reading this can testify to by now.

      <sigh> donnaneely
    • Carmen DiProspero
      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2004
        --- donnaneely <donnaneely@...> wrote:
        > I was enjoying Key TMI very much until......the
        > creators perpetuated
        > a most upsetting action upon me as a viewer. One
        > that I have seen
        > before yes, but still enrages me. I was completely
        > cast out of the
        > story and almost did not complete watching the
        > series.
        >
        > Reading all the comments here - and thank you all
        > for them - i now
        > wonder if I was hallucinating???
        >
        > Also, I was completely wrapped up in the meta-theme
        > of Patriarchy
        > overthrowing Matriarchy that overarches the entire
        > series. Done
        > differently in that the Matriarchal power was
        > represented only by one
        > village and one line of women, but the theme was
        > there nonetheless -
        > with the patriarchy well represented by the
        > military-industrial
        > complex. Did anyone else see this - or am i again on
        > some illicit
        > chemical?
        >
        > (By the way, I am happy to send on my copy of the
        > series - for FREE -
        > to anyone interested in viewing and weighing in on
        > Key for
        > themselves. I wont be keeping it sadly)

        May I take you up on that offer? I would like to check
        it out myself. May I reply off the group? (e-mail you
        privately).

        Carmen ^_^

> [...]
        > in Sakura - her struggle with trying to love and
        > care for Key despite
        > Keys troubling powers. Her struggle to earn money,
        > her refusal to
        > be "idolized". She was such a terrific female
        > character!!!!! So
        > passionate and spontaneous and giving. Damn it.
        >
        > So the rest of the show didnt matter to me - i
        > watched like a
        > homework assignment. It was a further aggravation to
        > count the bodies
        > of the dead at the end - every single woman
        > character that had the
        > power or cared for Key - but most of the men that
        > cared for Key
        > lived. Even the perverted, gross Agent from the
        > begining was brought
        > back to be a hero - SO WHY COULDNT SAKURA BE A HERO
        > TOO!!!
        >
        > I was just so upset...........as I am sure that

        http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
      • donnaneely
        Message 3 of 4 , May 18, 2004
          Sure, Carmen, I will post you offlist. donna

          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Carmen DiProspero <cjd207@y...> wrote:

          > > (By the way, I am happy to send on my copy of the
          > > series - for FREE -
          > > to anyone interested in viewing and weighing in on
          > > Key for
          > > themselves. I wont be keeping it sadly)
          >

          > May I take you up on that offer? I would like to check
          > it out myself. May I reply off the group? (e-mail you
          > privately).
          >
          > Carmen ^_^

        • runaway_donkey
          Message 4 of 4 , May 18, 2004
            MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

            er, um, ...now i'm starting to get the impression that
            i'm the one hallucinating, from what everyone here has
            said so far about key. i guess, to tell the truth,
            i'm kind of shallow, so upon watching the series i was
            all like, oh, idol singing, robots, cute pizza girl,
            cool. and it was all up and up from there. ah, i do
            miss the 80's some times.

            as for yuri distancing, as i mentioned before, the
            whole 'sisters' thing does seem like it would cause
            that effect wouldn't it? but i don't know why,
            perhaps i just have an odd view on the incest taboo,
            but the whole, key calling for her mother, and
            sakura's revelation did not play out that way to me at
            all. first off, i'll say i never saw that scene as
            being about key. she was zonked out basically. she
            could've just as easily have said 'coffee' instead,
            and i don't think it would have changed the scene very
            much. it was all about sakura's reaction, which
            frankly, i found a little creepy actually. by the
            time that sakura decided to hold her, key's
            consciousness was completely gone. she could've been
            on a rocket to the moon and not have noticed. i just
            don't see sakura as trying to be the mother key was
            looking for right there, because there was no comfort
            left in it for key anymore.

            her actions had this terrible air of secrecy. there
            she was holding an unconscious key like she'd never
            dared to before, and confessing. if key needed a
            family so desperately, why didn't sakura tell her
            about their relationship while she was fully conscious
            to hear about it? instead, she seemed to be going on
            and on about why she was drawn to key, how she'd
            always look out for key, why key was special to her,
            and did not seem to really care whether key was
            listening or not. she seemed to be talking to
            herself, telling herself that because of that
            sisterhood, everything she felt about key was 'ok',
            right? (note, it is entirely possible that i am
            reading way too much into it here, but seriously, that
            scene is a little... odd. i challenge anyone who's
            seen it to say their siblings act like that)

            about the line "I feel uncomfortable holding you this
            way since we are both girls.", i'd have to watch it
            again to know for sure, but i suspect there is some
            leeway in translating this, and it may have
            unintentionally come off as more harsh than it really
            was. i do remember for a fact that viz's translations
            for key were fairly loose, for example, key did not
            refer to herself in 3rd person half as many times as
            the subtitling would have you believe. in any case,
            the sentiment, 'it's odd since we're both girls...'
            appears frequently in shoujo ai anime scenes. as in,
            'i know i'm not supposed to feel this way, but...'.
            conversely, i'm sure you've seen anime scenes between
            heterosexual women, such as bath scenes etc., where
            the whole idea is, 'we're all girls here, so who cares
            if i see you naked/ sleep in the same room/ change
            together/ give you mouth to mouth, whatever'. and
            remember, while those are the words that came out of
            her mouth, when key tried to get up, sakura would not
            let her go and rather firmly kept her where she was,
            face buried in sakura's chest and all. at any rate,
            why would the same girl who'd pulled key passed out
            and naked out of the shower and put her to bed, who'd
            saved her from a career in the porn industry, suddenly
            get all squeamish about holding icky girls? so if
            holding key made sakura feel... funny, somehow, i just
            don't feel that creators who had intentionally created
            that ending sequence (another viz translation note,
            since when does aishiteru translate into 'i'll be here
            for you?' fine for the dub version of the song, but
            the subtitles kept it like that too.) were trying to
            beat the viewers over the head with the straight
            stick. my impression is that since sakura's love was
            necessary to the story, they gave it 2 possible paths,
            but did not insist on either of them, probably
            figuring that if you were ok with the gay
            interpretation, then you'd be fine with incest too.
            (not saying they were right or anything, but that's
            how it read to me) however, this is of course just my
            own impression, and i have been known to warp reality
            to suit my rabid fannish musings.

            and you see, to me, this is why sakura had to die. it
            was sad as hell, but you know, key had someone who
            loved her unconditionally. human, robot, whatever.
            what exactly was supposed to motivate her to become
            human? or more likely, what else could have convinced
            her that she was human? would a robot hurt so much at
            the death of her friend? would a robot even care that
            someone had died because of her? would anyone really
            have gone that far for a soulless tool anyway? key's
            humanity (as well as the viewers' sympathy) was almost
            all tied up with sakura at this point. it wasn't
            until she lost sakura that key realized why it was
            important to get it back. she had to become human.
            she had to be human to express all of the guilt, need,
            and pain over what happened. but yes, the ending
            could definetely have been better. i feel it really
            faltered after this point. the final mysteries came
            off as sort of odd contrivances, and i really wish
            there had been more time to sort things out. the
            final key didn't have enough time to become quite as
            human as one would've hoped. the reasons behind
            everything fell to the wayside in the attempt to
            squeeze in all the convoluted information to 'explain'
            key.

            -alf

            http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/