Shoujo-ai incest

  • kethla@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 1, 2001
      I watched Kokoro Library today and I think I've run across another
      case of shoujo-ai incest. Three sisters live alone in a big library
      that their parent's built. The library is in the middle of a forest,
      and, apparently, there's no way to meet men (or other women for that
      matter).

      The oldest Iina-oneechan (I don't know if Iina is her name or an
      abreviation) has a "thing" for her youngest sister Kokoro. We're
      talking about an obsession as big as Tomoyo's crush on Sakura...maybe
      even one step beyond. I don't recall Tomoyo ever being jealous or
      blushing over an indirect kiss (maybe I haven't seen enough CCS).
      I'm trying to pretend that Iina was adopted (she doesn't look much
      like the other two) because, frankly, I'm a little disturbed.
      (Kokoro Library is still cool, though. I like the middle sister,
      Aruto.)

      This is the first case of shoujo-ai incest- that I know of- that
      isn't a Clamp story. (CCS and Suki Dakara Suki)

      ~Heather (Feels like telling Iina off. "Hello!?! Not only is Kokoro
      kinda YOUNG, but she's also kinda your SISTER, baka!")
    • Kathryn Williams
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 1, 2001
        Cousins dating is very normal I've found in Japan. There are alot of Cases
        and not just in Anime/Manga. For them it isn't much special so having Tomoyo
        and Sakura together is nothing odd (expecially when they are 2nd cousins) It
        is kind of fun because my freind and myself were first confused by your post
        because we have become rather use to the whole cousins idea in Anime that we
        don't really notice it as odd anymore. As for the 3 sisters that is a
        different case entirly. Sorry to ask but is this a Hentai persay? I've seen
        Incest in alot of Hentai (which isn't alot considering I don't like Hentai)

        Ja

        Kat
      • kethla@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 1, 2001
          As for the 3 sisters that is a
          > different case entirly. Sorry to ask but is this a Hentai persay?
          I've seen
          > Incest in alot of Hentai (which isn't alot considering I don't like
          Hentai)

          > Ja
          >
          > Kat

          Nope. It is cute, sweet, and totally shoujo. Every episode has a
          happy ending and although the girls are dressed in maid outfits,
          they're librarians and aren't serving any master or mistress. If I
          had to compare it to other shows I'd pick Tenchi ni Narumon (without
          the overarching plot and the hyperness) or that Miyazaki film about
          the girl who wants to be a writer (and the boy she likes wants to
          make violins...I can't remember the name!).

          As for the part about cousins... Well, I can't understand it
          myself. Cultural thing, I guess. But also because my thoughts of
          them are intrinsically tied to my parents. Dating cousing -> dating
          parents -> icky to the 100,000,000 degree. Hah! Another reason to
          be happy my ancestors didn't stay in Japan (besides the whole cram
          school phenomena), I don't have to worry about any of my cousins
          liking me "in that way".

          ~Heather (Wouldn't marry her cousins to preserve the human species.)
        • Johann Chua
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 2, 2001
            Heather wrote:

            >As for the 3 sisters that is a
            >> different case entirly. Sorry to ask but is this a Hentai persay?
            >I've seen
            >> Incest in alot of Hentai (which isn't alot considering I don't like
            >Hentai)
            >>
            >> Ja
            >>
            >> Kat
            >
            >Nope. It is cute, sweet, and totally shoujo. Every episode has a
            >happy ending and although the girls are dressed in maid outfits,
            >they're librarians and aren't serving any master or mistress. If I
            >had to compare it to other shows I'd pick Tenchi ni Narumon (without

            Another Tenchi series? ^_^ That should be "Tenshi", right?

            >the overarching plot and the hyperness) or that Miyazaki film about
            >the girl who wants to be a writer (and the boy she likes wants to
            >make violins...I can't remember the name!).

            Whisper of the Heart? Miyazaki only did the script and storyboard for that,
            IIRC, so it's more accurate t call it a Studio Ghibli film.

            >As for the part about cousins... Well, I can't understand it
            >myself. Cultural thing, I guess. But also because my thoughts of

            I seem to recall cousins can marry in Japan. And in some places they're actually _encouraged to marry_--something to do with keeping wealth in
            the family (never mind that the incidence of inbreeding increases). The
            definition of incest in my dictionary specifies parent-child and brother-
            sister (same-sex pairs not really considered, but we can amend that to
            sibling-sibling).

            >them are intrinsically tied to my parents. Dating cousing -> dating
            >parents -> icky to the 100,000,000 degree. Hah! Another reason to
            >be happy my ancestors didn't stay in Japan (besides the whole cram
            >school phenomena), I don't have to worry about any of my cousins
            >liking me "in that way".

            I can't even think of dating my sisters' friends. Speaking of which, the
            reason I don't see Hikaru/Umi is because they remind me of my sisters
            (second and first respectively, but with the height difference reversed).
            They even have the same birth months as Hikaru and Umi, which could explain
            a lot.

            <Aya> So there _are_ limits to your twisted mind.
            <me> Yeah, though there seems to be live-action porn with same-sex incest.
            <Aya> ......
            <me> Sister-sister, even real live gay twincest.

            __________________________________
            www.edsamail.com
          • kethla@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 2, 2001
              If I
              > >had to compare it to other shows I'd pick Tenchi ni Narumon
              (without

              > Another Tenchi series? ^_^ That should be "Tenshi", right?

              Ehehehe.... Yeah. >_< That was dumb of me. Sort of like writing
              angle instead of angel...sheesh!

              > >the overarching plot and the hyperness) or that Miyazaki film
              about
              > >the girl who wants to be a writer (and the boy she likes wants to
              > >make violins...I can't remember the name!).
              >
              > Whisper of the Heart? Miyazaki only did the script and storyboard
              for that,
              > IIRC, so it's more accurate t call it a Studio Ghibli film.

              Gee, I dunno. You're probably right, though. I would have looked it
              up, but me = lazy. I check words I don't know how to spell for posts,
              that's about it. :p

              > I seem to recall cousins can marry in Japan. And in some places
              they're actually _encouraged to marry_--something to do with keeping
              wealth in
              > the family (never mind that the incidence of inbreeding
              increases). The
              > definition of incest in my dictionary specifies parent-child and
              brother-
              > sister (same-sex pairs not really considered, but we can amend that
              > sibling-sibling).

              *weak laugh* Is that what they mean by "kissing cousins"? Actually,
              I have no idea when that phrase is appropriate to use. Oh
              well...it's not my thing, personally, but that's not a good reason
              for me to decry the practice. I guess if a government trusts its
              populace to be aware and responsible when it comes to inbreeding and
              possible abuse issues, then there's really no reason to bar even
              direct siblings from marrying.

              > I can't even think of dating my sisters' friends.

              Since I'm 20 and my brother's friends are 17, it would feel like
              robbing the cradle. In six years or so, the age difference won't
              feel as much, but I would still be very, very hesitant.

              Speaking of which, the
              > reason I don't see Hikaru/Umi is because they remind me of my
              sisters
              > (second and first respectively, but with the height difference
              reversed).
              > They even have the same birth months as Hikaru and Umi, which could
              explain
              > a lot.

              That's understandable.

              > <Aya> So there _are_ limits to your twisted mind.
              > <me> Yeah, though there seems to be live-action porn with same-sex
              incest.
              > <Aya> ......
              > <me> Sister-sister, even real live gay twincest.

              I'd be surprised if there wasn't such a thing. Unfortunately, I
              believe that for every type of sexual fantasy there exists people
              willing to act it out (or at least fake it) and people willing to
              film it.

              ~Heather
            • Johann Chua
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 2, 2001
                Heather wrote:

                >*weak laugh* Is that what they mean by "kissing cousins"? Actually,
                >I have no idea when that phrase is appropriate to use. Oh

                "A cousin or other relative close enough to kiss in greeting or leavetaking."

                Nothing to do with incest. ^_^

                >well...it's not my thing, personally, but that's not a good reason
                >for me to decry the practice. I guess if a government trusts its
                >populace to be aware and responsible when it comes to inbreeding and
                >possible abuse issues, then there's really no reason to bar even

                Sexual abuse isn't restricted to incest, after all.

                >direct siblings from marrying.

                Only example of siblings marrying I can think of outside of mythology would
                be Ancient Egyptian royal families--dunno if commoners could.

                >> I can't even think of dating my sisters' friends.
                >
                >Since I'm 20 and my brother's friends are 17, it would feel like
                >robbing the cradle. In six years or so, the age difference won't
                >feel as much, but I would still be very, very hesitant.

                My first sister is only a year younger; my second five years. I don't really
                see my second sister's friends very often, but my first sister's friends tend
                to call me ahia (older or eldest brother in Fookien). It's like they're my
                younger sisters or cousins.

                (I'll be 24 come January 20.)

                __________________________________
                www.edsamail.com
              • Jude McLaughlin
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 3, 2001
                  --- In Yuricon@y..., "Johann Chua" <fuuma@e...> wrote:
                  > Only example of siblings marrying I can think of outside of
                  > mythology would be Ancient Egyptian royal families--dunno if
                  > commoners could.

                  Apparently, this was not limited to the royal family in ancient Egypt.
                  It became something of a fad to marry one's siblings, even among the
                  commoners. I think that there was some economic impetus for this
                  as well (property inheritance, etc.), but I'm not sure. I can poke my
                  sources to elicit more information, if desired.

                  As for real world acceptance of same-sex sibling incest... well, I
                  doubt it. (Although when one has a mind in the gutter, one must needs
                  wonder about those societies where it is accepted for one man to marry
                  several sisters [at the same time], or one woman to marry several
                  brothers [likewise]...)

                  Jude
                • eleloi@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 3, 2001
                    --- In Yuricon@y..., kethla@h... wrote:

                    > I guess if a government trusts its
                    > populace to be aware and responsible when it comes to inbreeding and
                    > possible abuse issues, then there's really no reason to bar even
                    > direct siblings from marrying.

                    According to my biology proffesor... it's mostly considered
                    "anti-social." Plus a few diseases or syndromes will be intensified
                    if both parents carry close to the same genetic make-up. Hmm... so,
                    genetically... I think it boils down biologically to: can date your
                    relatives, even though it's considered "anti-social" but you cannot
                    have children with them.

                    > > I can't even think of dating my sisters' friends.
                    >
                    > Since I'm 20 and my brother's friends are 17, it would feel like
                    > robbing the cradle. In six years or so, the age difference won't
                    > feel as much, but I would still be very, very hesitant.

                    I went out to a theme park with my sister and my ex-boyfriend. They
                    spent the entire time together, playing kissy face... it was kind of
                    disturbing to watch. My other three friends agreed.

                    I have a very strange rule in my head. I don't want to know what a
                    potential brother-in-law looks like when he orgasms. Maybe it's just
                    me...

                    --lel
                  • Jude McLaughlin
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 3, 2001
                      --- In Yuricon@y..., eleloi@y... wrote:
                      > According to my biology proffesor... it's mostly considered
                      > "anti-social."

                      In this culture. But then, one usually doesn't expect bio types to
                      think in terms of anthropology. :) (The only reason I think about is
                      that I keep getting notified when I say anything really
                      Western-centric -- the fruits of being involved with an
                      anthropologist.)

                      > Plus a few diseases or syndromes will be intensified
                      > if both parents carry close to the same genetic make-up. Hmm... so,
                      > genetically... I think it boils down biologically to: can date your
                      > relatives, even though it's considered "anti-social" but you cannot
                      > have children with them.

                      There is a general mammalian (and avian, I believe) incest taboo,
                      apparently quite deeply ingrained. Studies have shown that certain
                      organisms will definitely prefer to mate with individuals with whom
                      they were not raised, despite the other deeply ingrained tendency to
                      mate with those who are most similar to you (thus enhancing your own
                      genes). Apparently the taboo is psychological in that it extends only
                      to those siblings raised together -- if two siblings are raised apart,
                      it doesn't exist. (Thus my SO's exclamations of annoyance during
                      Angel Sanctuary: "Oh, right, make him stay away so that he gets NONE
                      of the incest taboo ingrained!")

                      This is not to say that sufficient fucked-uppedness won't overwhelm
                      this fundamental taboo (as evidenced by the fact that one of my first
                      genetic counseling cases was an evaluation of a child who had a
                      certain quite rare single-gene genetic disease, just like his older
                      sister -- and both were the products of a brother-sister mating -- my
                      only thought was, "Where was Social Services?")

                      In general, consanguinity (close relatives mating) tends to increase
                      the frequency of recessive genetic diseases by making it far more
                      likely that the two people mating are carrying a nasty recessive. In
                      most cases, it is not an adaptive behavior, although there may be
                      situations where it becomes adaptive (which may result in the
                      development of a higher incidence of a recessive in a population, a la
                      the various diseases associated with preventing malaria in tropical
                      regions).

                      This public service announcement brought to you by far too many years
                      in graduate school. We now return you to your usual programs.

                      Jude
                    • kethla@hotmail.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 3, 2001

                        > > Plus a few diseases or syndromes will be intensified
                        > > if both parents carry close to the same genetic make-up. Hmm...
                        so,
                        > > genetically... I think it boils down biologically to: can date
                        your
                        > > relatives, even though it's considered "anti-social" but you
                        cannot
                        > > have children with them.

                        I love how this discussion is so intellectual. ^_^ Alas, I feel the
                        need to add a sci-fi/phantasy addendum. This (plus the other running
                        thread about sexuality labeling) brought to my mind a Ursula Guin's
                        book "The Left Hand of Darkness". In this book an African-American*
                        human interacts with a mutated species of human that have no definite
                        sex except for short intervals each month. Basically, when two of
                        them go into heat at the same time, one will become a male and the
                        other will become a female. (So no homosexuals exist, or maybe
                        they're ALL homosexuals) Due to the nameless hero's set sexuality he
                        becomes a sexual freak on the planet and the population assumes he's
                        constantly horny. Anyway, their laws state that you can marry your
                        blood sibling until your first born child, then you have to divorce
                        and one of you has to leave the clan (or something).

                        Anyway, I thought it was interesting that Guin chose male pronouns
                        because she felt they're more gender neutral (and she didn't want to
                        use it, because they're still sexual creatures). I wonder if she
                        would have used the gender neutral pronouns like "em" or "eir" if she
                        had written the book in modern times? (The pronouns still confuse
                        the heck out of me, I keep thinking I'm reading a foreign language.)
                        After reading that book I also started to notice how rarely female
                        pronouns are used in examples where gender doesn't matter. I'm
                        slightly shocked everytime I read an example where it's "if she were
                        to do blah" instead of "if he were to do blah". Is it because as
                        pronouns go, male pronouns are still seen as more gender neutral?

                        This might be old news to you, but I've never taken a feminist course
                        in my life. I've never picked up and read a feminist or gender
                        studies book. (Maybe that's why I find this kind of interesting ...
                        ignorance.)

                        *Noted because this is the only instance I can think of where I've
                        seen an Afrian American play THE lead role in a sci-fi/phantasy book.

                        ~Heather (Wonders if she marries a bisexual man, will she still be in
                        a queer relationship? Hmm....)
                      • Katerina E.
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 3, 2001
                          --- In Yuricon@y..., "Johann Chua" <fuuma@e...> wrote:
                          > >direct siblings from marrying.
                          >
                          > Only example of siblings marrying I can think of outside of
                          mythology would
                          > be Ancient Egyptian royal families--dunno if commoners could.

                          I've always found this to be interesting. I don't know if most
                          people in the US realize that Egypt was a MATRILINEAL monarchy,
                          meaning that the pharoah became pharoah by marrying the eldest
                          daughter or niece of the previous pharoah. This led to ALOT of
                          brother-sister pairings in the Egyptian monarchy. In the film "The
                          Ten Commandments" (made by conservative Christian Cecil B. DeMille,
                          and starring conservative Christian Charleton Heston) they sort of
                          gloss over this little tidbit, that Neferteri (not Nefertiti, wife of
                          Akhenaton and mother of Tutenkamun) is the daughter of pharoah Seti,
                          and sister of Ramses and the adopted Moses, one of whom she will be
                          betrothed to (eventually Ramses, when Moses is discovered to be a
                          Hebrew, and refuses to deny his birthright). Of course, it is from
                          this fact about the Egyptians that Judaism then proscribed that
                          incest was wrong and evil, since most of the laws of the Jews were to
                          delineate why they were God's Chosen People, and their neighbours
                          weren't (that's also how provisions about homosexuality,
                          transgendered priests, and mixed-fiber clothing got into the laws).

                          Katya
                        • Medea Joy
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 3, 2001
                            "Katerina E." wrote:
                            > > Only example of siblings marrying I can think of outside of
                            > mythology would
                            > > be Ancient Egyptian royal families--dunno if commoners could.
                            >
                            > I've always found this to be interesting. I don't know if most
                            > people in the US realize that Egypt was a MATRILINEAL monarchy,
                            > meaning that the pharoah became pharoah by marrying the eldest
                            > daughter or niece of the previous pharoah. This led to ALOT of
                            > brother-sister pairings in the Egyptian monarchy.

                            Right-- patriarchy combined with matrilinear inheritance is bound to
                            lead to relatives marrying. This is because the men want to inherit
                            their power to their male descendants, but cannot do so directly-- it
                            goes through the female line. So, they have to make their sons marry
                            their nieces... IIRC, in many African tribes, when you marry you still
                            remain in your birth family, so in a matrilinear clan, the father is not
                            considered to be in the same family/clan as his children: family goes
                            exclusively through the female line. In the case of the Ashanti, which
                            are both patriarchial and matrilinear, fathers want to pass on their
                            name to their grandchildren, so they marry the daughters of their
                            sisters to their sons; they have the power over their sisters' daughters
                            because they're the head of that family. On the other hand, they're NOT
                            the head of the family their own sons belong to-- so what do they do?
                            They make kind of a silent agreement with the brother of their wife
                            who's the head of the family their son belongs to, because his wife will
                            often be related to the original father, i.e. be in the same family;
                            then the father makes the son of the other clanhead marry a niece of the
                            other clanhead, so that the other clanhead can pass *his* name on. It's
                            kinda cross-over. Which is why cousin marriage is very frequent in that culture.

                            It's been some time since I've done a talk about this in class, so I
                            won't take responsibility for the exact details. ;-)

                            . medea joy
                          • Althea K.
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 3, 2001
                              >From: kethla@...
                              >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: [Yuricon] Shoujo-ai incest
                              >Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 04:47:18 -0000
                              >

                              >This is the first case of shoujo-ai incest- that I know of- that
                              >isn't a Clamp story. (CCS and Suki Dakara Suki)

                              The leopard twins in Escaflowne have a pretty shoujo-ai scene (although they
                              are both in love with a man... still, crawling over your sister and
                              basically asking to kiss her seems pretty shoujo-ai to me.). That's all I
                              can bring to mind right now (uh, other than my own incestuous twin sisters
                              from a story I'm writing with a friend.. >.> <.< >.>).

                              >~Heather

                              -Althea K. (my apologies if this pair has already been mentioned: my online
                              service crapped out for a while and I still haven't slogged through all the
                              posts. sixty-two more to go. Woot.)

                            • Jude McLaughlin
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 3, 2001
                                --- In Yuricon@y..., kethla@h... wrote:
                                > *Noted because this is the only instance I can think of where I've
                                > seen an Afrian American play THE lead role in a sci-fi/phantasy book.

                                Check out Octavia Butler's books -- all her characters are African-
                                American, despite the way they are depicted on the covers (as my
                                partner says, it says something about the American publishing industry
                                that they can't seem to put African-American women on the covers).
                                LeGuin's Wizard of Earthsea books apparently have a plethora of dark-
                                skinned characters as well (also despite covers). And Melissa Scott's
                                _Night Sky Mine_ has an African-American woman on the cover, although
                                my SO cannot recall if the lead character was described as such. Those
                                are the ones that occur to my SO off the top of her head (she was
                                reading over my shoulder and so provided the information.)

                                Jude
                              • heron-blue Tira
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 3, 2001
                                  --- Jude McLaughlin <dziwozony@...> wrote:
                                  > --- In Yuricon@y..., kethla@h... wrote:
                                  > > *Noted because this is the only instance I can
                                  > think of where I've
                                  > > seen an Afrian American play THE lead role in a
                                  > sci-fi/phantasy book.
                                  >
                                  > Check out Octavia Butler's books -- all her
                                  > characters are African-
                                  > American, despite the way they are depicted on the
                                  > covers (as my
                                  > partner says, it says something about the American
                                  > publishing industry
                                  > that they can't seem to put African-American women
                                  > on the covers).
                                  > LeGuin's Wizard of Earthsea books apparently have a
                                  > plethora of dark-
                                  > skinned characters as well (also despite covers).
                                  > And Melissa Scott's
                                  > _Night Sky Mine_ has an African-American woman on
                                  > the cover, although
                                  > my SO cannot recall if the lead character was
                                  > described as such. Those
                                  > are the ones that occur to my SO off the top of her
                                  > head (she was
                                  > reading over my shoulder and so provided the
                                  > information.)

                                  Until a few months ago, I thought that Octavia Butler
                                  was the only African American Female sci-fi writer.
                                  But there's a new woman who's written two really good
                                  books... her name's Nalo Hopkinson, and one of the
                                  books is called "Midnight Robber" (I'm blanking on the
                                  other one). They're both really good.

                                  I think the characters in "Night Sky Mine" were Arab
                                  or Southeast Asian, but I'm not sure about that. It's
                                  been a while since I read the book.

                                  ~~Tira

                                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                                • Althea K.
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 3, 2001
                                    >From: eleloi@...
                                    >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                    >Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Shoujo-ai incest
                                    >Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 17:17:04 -0000
                                    >
                                    >--- In Yuricon@y..., kethla@h... wrote:
                                    >

                                    > > > I can't even think of dating my sisters' friends.

                                    I've, uh, actually had crushes on friends of my brother (he's three years
                                    older than I am, but at least one of the friends was my age, not his) more
                                    than once.. ^-^' What? He's got some pretty cute friends.

                                    > > Since I'm 20 and my brother's friends are 17, it would feel like
                                    > > robbing the cradle. In six years or so, the age difference won't
                                    > > feel as much, but I would still be very, very hesitant.
                                    >
                                    >I went out to a theme park with my sister and my ex-boyfriend. They
                                    >spent the entire time together, playing kissy face... it was kind of
                                    >disturbing to watch. My other three friends agreed.

                                    Yeah, that sounds like a pretty uncomfortable situation... But, damn, it's
                                    been kind of tempting to go after some of my brother's exes... He dates some
                                    *cute* girls! One in particular I had a crush on... She was more
                                    affectionate to me than he ever was. She used to hug me every single time
                                    she saw me ^=^ And she was *adorable*. They're still friends, but I haven't
                                    seen her in a long time.. *sigh* Probably just as well...

                                    >I have a very strange rule in my head. I don't want to know what a
                                    >potential brother-in-law looks like when he orgasms. Maybe it's just
                                    >me...

                                    *cringe* That sounds a pretty reasonable rule to me. Think I'll keep that
                                    one under my hat..

                                    >--lel

                                    -Althea K.

                                  • kage shinrou
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 3, 2001
                                      I'm kinda curious how many of you are anthropology
                                      majors/teachers/enthusiasts because this discussion is getting rather in
                                      depth.

                                      kage-kun:who has an anthropology final in one week, and is getting lecture
                                      deja-vu reading this thread
                                      "ookami wa ookami"

                                      >From: Medea Joy <s_m_j@...>

                                      >It's been some time since I've done a talk about this in class, so I
                                      >won't take responsibility for the exact details. ;-)
                                      >
                                      >. medea joy

                                    • Raven Stormbringer
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 4, 2001
                                        I took Honors Socio-Anthropology back in college... that
                                        count?

                                        Raven
                                        --who's studied more topics than most Jeopardy contestants
                                        ;p
                                        --- kage shinrou <nineofnine@...> wrote:
                                        > I'm kinda curious how many of you are anthropology
                                        > majors/teachers/enthusiasts because this discussion is
                                        > getting rather in
                                        > depth.
                                        >
                                        > kage-kun:who has an anthropology final in one week, and
                                        > is getting lecture
                                        > deja-vu reading this thread
                                        > "ookami wa ookami"
                                        >

                                        > >From: Medea Joy <s_m_j@...>
                                        >
                                        > >It's been some time since I've done a talk about this in
                                        > class, so I
                                        > >won't take responsibility for the exact details. ;-)
                                        > >
                                        > >. medea joy

                                        > http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

                                        =====
                                        人生は山あり谷あり
                                        Jinsei ha yama ari, tani ari.
                                        In life, there are mountains, there are valleys.

                                        http://shopping.yahoo.com
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 4, 2001
                                          >From: "kage shinrou" <nineofnine@...>

                                          >I'm kinda curious how many of you are anthropology
                                          >majors/teachers/enthusiasts because this discussion is getting rather in
                                          >depth.

                                          Comparative Literature major, specializing in Early Medieval Lit. Hence the
                                          interest in comparative mythologies. Master's in Information and Library
                                          Science - hence the pedantic tone. LOL

                                          AniLesboCon 2001 - "For real women who like their women...animated."
                                          http://anilesbocon.shoujoai.com/

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 4, 2001
                                            >From: heron-blue Tira <tiratrewyn@...>
                                            >Until a few months ago, I thought that Octavia Butler
                                            >was the only African American Female sci-fi writer.
                                            >But there's a new woman who's written two really good
                                            >books... her name's Nalo Hopkinson, and one of the
                                            >books is called "Midnight Robber" (I'm blanking on the
                                            >other one). They're both really good.

                                            I read Midnight Robber and despite the fact tat I thought the plot trite, I
                                            loved the use of language dialects and creoles. I emailed Ms. Hopkinson, who
                                            responded right away with a nice note of thanks.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 4, 2001
                                              > > *Noted because this is the only instance I can think of where I've
                                              > > seen an Afrian American play THE lead role in a sci-fi/phantasy book.
                                              >
                                              > Check out Octavia Butler's books -- all her characters are African-
                                              > American, despite the way they are depicted on the covers (as my

                                              THANK you Jude! I racked my brain forever yesterday trying to remember Octavia's last name so I could look up the book names ;) (In fact, I even had her first name wrong...I was think Olivia for some reason o.0~) One of her trilogies is one of my favs =^.^= The one where the alien race comes and assimulates humans into their species ;) It was interesting because in that alien race there were males and females however neither one or both of them together could reproduce. Each sex had different ingrediants but neither one could bake the cake so to speak ;p They had a third sex that acted as a catalyst....

                                              Kun
                                              ----'-,-{@
                                            • Katerina E.
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 4, 2001
                                                --- In Yuricon@y..., "kage shinrou" <nineofnine@h...> wrote:
                                                > I'm kinda curious how many of you are anthropology
                                                > majors/teachers/enthusiasts because this discussion is getting
                                                rather in
                                                > depth.

                                                My BS was in Social Studies Education (that would make me a teacher),
                                                and I had a minor in History, so that's the angle that I am coming
                                                from.

                                                Katya
                                              • Kathryn Williams
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 4, 2001
                                                  > --- In Yuricon@y..., "kage shinrou" <nineofnine@h...> wrote:
                                                  > > I'm kinda curious how many of you are anthropology
                                                  > > majors/teachers/enthusiasts because this discussion is getting
                                                  > rather in
                                                  > > depth.

                                                  I majored in Arts and graduated in Landscape, Protraite and Mural Arts. Now
                                                  teach from time to time all over the place (if that really counts)

                                                  ja

                                                  Kat
                                                • Jude McLaughlin
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 4, 2001
                                                    --- In Yuricon@y..., "kage shinrou" <nineofnine@h...> wrote:
                                                    > I'm kinda curious how many of you are anthropology
                                                    > majors/teachers/enthusiasts because this discussion is getting
                                                    > rather in depth.

                                                    I graduated with a BA in Biology and an MS (actually
                                                    All-But-Dissertation) in Human Genetics (and make my living writing
                                                    software manuals, go figure), but my sweetie has a BA in English and
                                                    Anthropology, an MA in Anthropology and Women's Studies, and is
                                                    working on her PhD in Anthropology, and thus there is a great deal of
                                                    osmosis happening. (For instance, she knows a great deal more about
                                                    genetics than her classmates.) :)

                                                    Jude
                                                  • Minionmancer@aol.com
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Dec 5, 2001
                                                      <Until a few months ago, I thought that Octavia Butler
                                                      was the only African American Female sci-fi writer.
                                                      But there's a new woman who's written two really good
                                                      books... her name's Nalo Hopkinson, and one of the
                                                      books is called "Midnight Robber" (I'm blanking on the
                                                      other one). They're both really good.

                                                      I read "Midnight Robber", it was quite good, although it took me a long time to get used to the Creole syntax and jargon. I didn't know Hopkinson wrote a second book.
                                                    • Minionmancer@aol.com
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Dec 5, 2001
                                                        In a message dated Tue, 4 Dec 2001 9:28:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Erica Friedman" <e.l.f.@...> writes:

                                                        > >From: "kage shinrou" <nineofnine@...>
                                                        >
                                                        > >I'm kinda curious how many of you are anthropology
                                                        > >majors/teachers/enthusiasts because this discussion is getting rather in
                                                        > >depth.
                                                        >
                                                        > Comparative Literature major, specializing in Early Medieval Lit. Hence the
                                                        > interest in comparative mythologies. Master's in Information and Library
                                                        > Science - hence the pedantic tone. LOL

                                                        Bioengineering major, specializing in Molecular Biology/Genetics. I took several literature courses for my non-technical electives. I haven't checked my email in days and was quite pleasd to find an indepth-discussion on social reasons for inbreeding and the danger of increasing the frequency of expression of the recessive phenotype. Intelligent, female, and otaku - yay!
                                                      • katyae0211
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Dec 5, 2001
                                                          --- In Yuricon@y..., Minionmancer@a... wrote:
                                                          > <Until a few months ago, I thought that Octavia Butler
                                                          > was the only African American Female sci-fi writer.
                                                          > But there's a new woman who's written two really good
                                                          > books... her name's Nalo Hopkinson, and one of the
                                                          > books is called "Midnight Robber" (I'm blanking on the
                                                          > other one). They're both really good.
                                                          >
                                                          > I read "Midnight Robber", it was quite good, although it took me a
                                                          long time to get used to the Creole syntax and jargon. I didn't know
                                                          Hopkinson wrote a second book.

                                                          As a result of a past-life experience that I had recently, I am
                                                          reading a book from 1966 called "Wide Sargasso Sea", which has a
                                                          fairly heavy use of Creole dialect. I'm not doing too badly with it,
                                                          since I have read alot of historical fiction and alternate history
                                                          that deals with the Southern U.S./Confederate States of America, and
                                                          between the heavy use of Creole in 19th century New Orleans, and the
                                                          different dialects amongst the slave populations throughout the
                                                          region, I have managed to adapt to reading these dialects. They can
                                                          certainly be difficult, though, when one is not used to
                                                          seeing/reading them.

                                                          Katya