Re: Off anf on-topic at the same time! A must-see movie

  • donnaneely
    Message 1 of 20 , May 3, 2004
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Kun" <kun@l...> wrote:

      > >> I literally spent the next few days researching all three
      actresses.
      > I tracked down Shaolin Soccer just to see Zhao Wei again. But most
      of
      > the other material they are in is hard to find.

      > Karen Mok was also in Shaolin Soccer...although it was a very small
      part.
      > She was one of the two female soccer players...the ones with the
      mustaches
      > )
      >
      > Kun
      > ----'-,-{@

      Oh yes you are correct! I had forgotten that bit. Isnt she even more
      divine for having a sense of humor and risk taking with her "idol"
      status. <swoon>

      donnaneely
    • donnaneely
      Message 2 of 20 , May 3, 2004
        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...> > >
        on each other throughout. (Potential viewers be warned - there is a
        > > very tedious sidestory about the eldest sister and her boyfriend.)

        > I'd agree about the tension - it really begins, IMHO, with the
        >music store scene.

        > But I liked the boyfriend and was kinda sad for him. :-)

        well i have misrepresented a bit i suspect.....i personally thought
        the boyfriend was as attractive as the girls and a sweet wonderful
        guy. !i! wanted to date him even! what bugged me is how much time
        they spent on it and how it was out of synch with the rest of the
        pacing and storyline in my view. it was like dropping in bits of some
        other movie, a romance, into this action pic.

        nuff said, regards, donnaneely
      • Kun
        Message 3 of 20 , May 3, 2004

          >> > Karen Mok was also in Shaolin Soccer...although it was a very small
          part.
          > She was one of the two female soccer players...the ones with the
          mustaches
          > )

          >> Oh yes you are correct! I had forgotten that bit. Isnt she even more
          divine for having a sense of humor and risk taking with her "idol"
          status. <swoon>

          Don't tell me you don't know much of her comedy  career as well?  She plays alongside Stephen Chow a lot =^.^=  Her last big role with him was in God of Cookery, I believe, where she played the horribly disfigured 'heroine' who's in love with the 'god of cookery'.

          She was hilarious in it =^.^=   And, I'm sure there are a ton, of other comedies, that Karen Mok has been in, but I only know of the ones where she plays with Stephen Chow.

          A really funny movie was King of Comedy, where Karen Mok actually plays the part of herself, really.  She plays an HK action actor ;p

          Kun
          ---'-,-{@
        • Reese
          Message 4 of 20 , May 3, 2004
            At 07:25 PM 5/3/2004 -0400, you wrote:
            >Don't tell me you don't know much of her comedy career as well? She
            >plays alongside Stephen Chow a lot =^.^= Her last big role with him was
            >in God of Cookery, I believe, where she played the horribly disfigured
            >'heroine' who's in love with the 'god of cookery'.
            >
            >She was hilarious in it =^.^= And, I'm sure there are a ton, of other
            >comedies, that Karen Mok has been in, but I only know of the ones where
            >she plays with Stephen Chow.

            Family Affairs (1994)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/chinese_odyssey_1.htm>Chinese Odyssey
            Part 1 (1995)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/chinese_odyssey_2.htm>Chinese Odyssey
            Part 2 (1995)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/heaven_cant_wait.htm>Heaven Can't Wait
            (1995)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/out_of_the_dark.htm>Out of the Dark (1995)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/fallen_angels.htm>Fallen Angels (1995)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/sexy_and_dangerous.htm>Sexy and
            Dangerous (1996)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/young_and_dangerous_3.htm>Young and
            Dangerous 3 (1996)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/those_were_the_days_1996_1.htm>Those
            were the Days (1996)[1]
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/best_of_the_best_1996.htm>Best of the
            Best (1996)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/black_mask.htm>Black Mask (1996)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/viva_erotica.htm>Viva Erotica (1996)
            4 Faces of Eve (1996)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/god_of_cookery.htm>The God of Cookery
            (1996)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/young_and_dangerous_4.htm>Young and
            Dangerous 4 (1997)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/lawyer_lawyer.htm>Lawyer, Lawyer (1997)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/kitchen.htm>Kitchen (1997)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/task_force.htm>Task Force (1997)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/first_love_litter.htm>First Love: the
            Litter on the Breeze (1997)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/king_of_comedy.htm>King of Comedy (1999)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/tempting_heart.htm>Tempting Heart (1999)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/roaring_wheels.htm>Roaring Wheels (2000)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/teacher_without_chalk.htm>The Teacher
            Without Chalk (2000)[cameo]
            Dragon Heat (2000)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/goodbye_mr_cool.htm>Goodbye Mr. Cool (2001)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/shaolin_soccer.htm>Shaolin Soccer
            (2001)[cameo]
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/la_brassiere.htm>La Brassiere (2001)[cameo]
            All the Way (CHINA 2001)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/irresisistible_piggies.htm>The
            Irresistible Piggies (2002)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/haunted_office.htm>Haunted Office (2002)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/so_close.htm>So Close (2002)
            <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/twins_effect.htm>The Twins Effect
            (2003)[cameo]
            Red Snow (CHINA 2003)
            Enter the Phoenix (2004)
            Around the World in 80 Days (USA 2004)
          • Reese
            Message 5 of 20 , May 4, 2004
              At 01:41 PM 5/4/2004 +0000, you wrote:

              >Region 1 version's out with all the extra languages and subtitle tracks
              >mentioned:
              >
              >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000U0X1Q/qid=1083648795/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-6682236-8802215?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

              The only problem with dealing with Amazon Dot Con is their so called
              privacy policy. They sell your information and even the information on
              anyone you happen to have a package shipped to. Dealing with them is
              exactly like handing your personal information to spammers and Identity
              thieves. As Amazon stated once on a national news program, 'If they pay us
              we'll give them anything.'

              I'll order via Best Buy today, I found out last night that they can get it
              for me.
            • Reese
              Message 6 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                At 03:33 PM 5/4/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                >Johann Chua -- HP: http://www.geocities.com/fuuma_1999/
                >"Does anything last forever? Does love? Does pain? I'll
                >tell you when I'm a thousand years old." Karen Kunawicz

                That answer is simple. Both love and hate are immortal. Nothing else
                is. At least, nothing I have seen in my long life.
              • BlueRoseDeya@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                  In a message dated 5/3/2004 6:52:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, duomaxwell@... writes:
                  Speaking of must see movies. You guys should also see Jesus christ:
                  vampire hunter. The gist of the plot is vampires can now walk in the daylight
                  by useing the skin of lesbians and jesus must fight them.
                  http://www.odessafilmworks.com/jcvh/index.html
                  Did i mention it's a musical.

                  sounds interesting...i just checked out the link and well it seems interesting...listened to a part of one of the songs before my 56k dial up decided to kill it horribly....something like "he came from heaven with two stakes in his hand to smote the vampires and free this land"  and i think i heard "it's all good it's alright everyone gets laid tonight..." forgive me if this is wrong but it keeps cutting out.  lol i would actually enjoy seeing this sometime.  i mean combine a kung fu jesus w/ a mexican wrestler and you have an oscar winning movie right there ^_^   and from reading the reviews such as http://www.tangmonkey.com/pulp/2-8/jesus.php i am even more amused.

                  -sharon

                • cricharddavies
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Reese <rhys@s...> wrote:
                    > At 03:33 PM 5/4/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                    > >Johann Chua -- HP: http://www.geocities.com/fuuma_1999/
                    > >"Does anything last forever? Does love? Does pain? I'll
                    > >tell you when I'm a thousand years old." Karen Kunawicz
                    >

                    > That answer is simple. Both love and hate are immortal. Nothing
                    > else
                    > is. At least, nothing I have seen in my long life.

                    Uh-huh. And you're a thousand years old, to be tossing lines like
                    that off?

                    Chris Davies.
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "cricharddavies" <cricharddavies@y...>
                      wrote:

                      > > That answer is simple. Both love and hate are immortal. Nothing
                      > > else
                      > > is. At least, nothing I have seen in my long life.
                      >
                      > Uh-huh. And you're a thousand years old, to be tossing lines like
                      > that off?

                      Okay, kids - take it off-list. This is not on topic, funny or of
                      interest. It goes bye-bye now.

                    • Johann Chua
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                        At 12:12 PM 5/3/2004 -0500, Reese wrote:
                        >>If you're an action flick afficionado and/or like cool, competent and
                        >>highly sexy women, this is definitely a must-see movie. In fact, I
                        >>liked it so much, I have every intention of buying it and writing a
                        >>fanfic for it. LOL
                        >
                        >I'll have to hunt it up I guess.

                        Region 1 version's out with all the extra languages and subtitle tracks
                        mentioned:

                        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000U0X1Q/qid=1083648795/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-6682236-8802215?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

                        I got the Region 3 version locally for about half the price, though with fewer
                        languages and subtitle tracks. Good thing it was in stock locally since
                        ordering from Asian DVD sites would've cost as much as getting the R1 version,
                        though R3 seems to be OOP.
                      • Johann Chua
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                          At 05:03 PM 5/3/2004 -0000, atheniag wrote:
                          >One of the videos I rented was called "So Close" (Chik yeung tin sai)
                          >and it was so good that I want to share with you all.

                          I really like Corrinne May's version of "Close to You" that was played at key
                          moments, but it doesn't seem to be on any CD, including the movie's
                          soundtrack!

                          The OST is out of print so I didn't have any qualms about downloading it as
                          archived MP3s using eMule. For some reason Karen Mok sings "Close to You"
                          even though this version wasn't even in the movie's end credits.

                          Corrine May's self-titled solo album is nice, though.

                          http://www.corrinnemay.com