Re: Off anf on-topic at the same time! A must-see movie

  • donnaneely
    Message 1 of 20 , May 3, 2004
      > One of the videos I rented was called "So Close" (Chik yeung tin
      sai)
      > and it was so good that I want to share with you all.
      >
      > This is a Hong Kong action flick from 2002 starring Qi Shu, Karen
      Mok
      > and Vicki Zhao.

      Yes! Yes! Yes! it is a brilliant, with yuri and strong heroic women
      characters, and terrific macha action sequences - one of which is
      something that only a woman could accomplish - humorously so.

      i own a copy - it is available international edition with subtitles
      etc. - and i make EVERYONE i know watch it. fabulous stuff.

      thanks for mentioning it erica so i could add to the raves.

      donnaneely
      Message 2 of 20 , May 3, 2004
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...> wrote:

        > Yes! Yes! Yes! it is a brilliant, with yuri and strong heroic women
        > characters, and terrific macha action sequences - one of which is
        > something that only a woman could accomplish - humorously so.

        Isn't it fab? <gush> I may have to become a Karen Mok fangirl. She's
        so cool and hard-boiled as Kong.

        > i own a copy - it is available international edition with subtitles
        > etc. - and i make EVERYONE i know watch it. fabulous stuff.

        I was blown away by the quality of the CD - three language choices and
        *seven* subtitle language choices?

        > thanks for mentioning it erica so i could add to the raves.

        Thanks for adding to the raves. :)

      • donnaneely
        Message 3 of 20 , May 3, 2004
          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...>
          wrote:

          > > Yes! Yes! Yes! it is a brilliant, with yuri and strong heroic
          women
          > > characters, and terrific macha action sequences - one of which is
          > > something that only a woman could accomplish - humorously so.
          >
          > Isn't it fab? <gush> I may have to become a Karen Mok fangirl.
          She's
          > so cool and hard-boiled as Kong.

          I am remembering a comment you made about Maramite - how there was a
          tension watching at least the first episode. Well that is how I feel
          about that movie - from the opening knock your socks off action scene
          to the very end - with Karen Mok and Zhao Wei performing their
          extended action duet. There is a lovely tension amongst all three of
          the women throughout, not necessarily sexual - just the intense focus
          on each other throughout. (Potential viewers be warned - there is a
          very tedious sidestory about the eldest sister and her boyfriend.)

          I literally spent the next few days researching all three actresses.
          I tracked down Shaolin Soccer just to see Zhao Wei again. But most of
          the other material they are in is hard to find.

          > I was blown away by the quality of the CD - three language choices
          >and *seven* subtitle language choices?

          Yes, it was surprising....here is my ultimate measure. My sister who
          HATES subtitles watched in one sitting with no whining!

          Hmmmmm, might have to go watch it again right this minute. Nice break
          from Koi Kaze LOL.

          donnaneely
        • Reese
          Message 4 of 20 , May 3, 2004
            At 09:39 PM 5/3/2004 +0000, you wrote:
            >i own a copy - it is available international edition with subtitles
            >etc. - and i make EVERYONE i know watch it. fabulous stuff.

            Who carries this please.
            Message 5 of 20 , May 3, 2004
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...> wrote:

              > I am remembering a comment you made about Maramite - how there was a
              > tension watching at least the first episode. Well that is how I feel
              > about that movie - from the opening knock your socks off action
              scene
              > to the very end - with Karen Mok and Zhao Wei performing their
              > extended action duet. There is a lovely tension amongst all three of
              > the women throughout, not necessarily sexual - just the intense
              focus
              > on each other throughout. (Potential viewers be warned - there is a
              > very tedious sidestory about the eldest sister and her boyfriend.)

              I'd agree about the tension - it really begins, IMHO, with the music
              store scene.

              But I liked the boyfriend and was kinda sad for him. :-)

            • shenotski
              Message 6 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                Speaking of must see movies. You guys should also see Jesus christ:
                vampire hunter. The gist of the plot is vampires can now walk in the daylight
                by useing the skin of lesbians and jesus must fight them.
                http://www.odessafilmworks.com/jcvh/index.html
                Did i mention it's a musical.

                > I literally spent the next few days researching all three actresses.
                > I tracked down Shaolin Soccer just to see Zhao Wei again. But most of
                > the other material they are in is hard to find.
              • Kun
                Message 7 of 20 , May 3, 2004

                  >> I literally spent the next few days researching all three actresses.
                  I tracked down Shaolin Soccer just to see Zhao Wei again. But most of
                  the other material they are in is hard to find.

                  Karen Mok was also in Shaolin Soccer...although it was a very small part.  She was one of the two female soccer players...the ones with the mustaches ;)

                  Kun
                  ----'-,-{@

                • donnaneely
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Kun" <kun@l...> wrote:

                    > >> I literally spent the next few days researching all three
                    actresses.
                    > I tracked down Shaolin Soccer just to see Zhao Wei again. But most
                    of
                    > the other material they are in is hard to find.

                    > Karen Mok was also in Shaolin Soccer...although it was a very small
                    part.
                    > She was one of the two female soccer players...the ones with the
                    mustaches
                    > )
                    >
                    > Kun
                    > ----'-,-{@

                    Oh yes you are correct! I had forgotten that bit. Isnt she even more
                    divine for having a sense of humor and risk taking with her "idol"
                    status. <swoon>

                    donnaneely
                  • donnaneely
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...> > >
                      on each other throughout. (Potential viewers be warned - there is a
                      > > very tedious sidestory about the eldest sister and her boyfriend.)

                      > I'd agree about the tension - it really begins, IMHO, with the
                      >music store scene.

                      > But I liked the boyfriend and was kinda sad for him. :-)

                      well i have misrepresented a bit i suspect.....i personally thought
                      the boyfriend was as attractive as the girls and a sweet wonderful
                      guy. !i! wanted to date him even! what bugged me is how much time
                      they spent on it and how it was out of synch with the rest of the
                      pacing and storyline in my view. it was like dropping in bits of some
                      other movie, a romance, into this action pic.

                      nuff said, regards, donnaneely
                    • Kun
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3, 2004

                        >> > Karen Mok was also in Shaolin Soccer...although it was a very small
                        part.
                        > She was one of the two female soccer players...the ones with the
                        mustaches
                        > )

                        >> Oh yes you are correct! I had forgotten that bit. Isnt she even more
                        divine for having a sense of humor and risk taking with her "idol"
                        status. <swoon>

                        Don't tell me you don't know much of her comedy  career as well?  She plays alongside Stephen Chow a lot =^.^=  Her last big role with him was in God of Cookery, I believe, where she played the horribly disfigured 'heroine' who's in love with the 'god of cookery'.

                        She was hilarious in it =^.^=   And, I'm sure there are a ton, of other comedies, that Karen Mok has been in, but I only know of the ones where she plays with Stephen Chow.

                        A really funny movie was King of Comedy, where Karen Mok actually plays the part of herself, really.  She plays an HK action actor ;p

                        Kun
                        ---'-,-{@
                      • Reese
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                          At 07:25 PM 5/3/2004 -0400, you wrote:
                          >Don't tell me you don't know much of her comedy career as well? She
                          >plays alongside Stephen Chow a lot =^.^= Her last big role with him was
                          >in God of Cookery, I believe, where she played the horribly disfigured
                          >'heroine' who's in love with the 'god of cookery'.
                          >
                          >She was hilarious in it =^.^= And, I'm sure there are a ton, of other
                          >comedies, that Karen Mok has been in, but I only know of the ones where
                          >she plays with Stephen Chow.

                          Family Affairs (1994)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/chinese_odyssey_1.htm>Chinese Odyssey
                          Part 1 (1995)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/chinese_odyssey_2.htm>Chinese Odyssey
                          Part 2 (1995)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/heaven_cant_wait.htm>Heaven Can't Wait
                          (1995)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/out_of_the_dark.htm>Out of the Dark (1995)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/fallen_angels.htm>Fallen Angels (1995)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/sexy_and_dangerous.htm>Sexy and
                          Dangerous (1996)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/young_and_dangerous_3.htm>Young and
                          Dangerous 3 (1996)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/those_were_the_days_1996_1.htm>Those
                          were the Days (1996)[1]
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/best_of_the_best_1996.htm>Best of the
                          Best (1996)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/black_mask.htm>Black Mask (1996)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/viva_erotica.htm>Viva Erotica (1996)
                          4 Faces of Eve (1996)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/god_of_cookery.htm>The God of Cookery
                          (1996)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/young_and_dangerous_4.htm>Young and
                          Dangerous 4 (1997)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/lawyer_lawyer.htm>Lawyer, Lawyer (1997)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/kitchen.htm>Kitchen (1997)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/task_force.htm>Task Force (1997)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/first_love_litter.htm>First Love: the
                          Litter on the Breeze (1997)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/king_of_comedy.htm>King of Comedy (1999)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/tempting_heart.htm>Tempting Heart (1999)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/roaring_wheels.htm>Roaring Wheels (2000)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/teacher_without_chalk.htm>The Teacher
                          Without Chalk (2000)[cameo]
                          Dragon Heat (2000)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/goodbye_mr_cool.htm>Goodbye Mr. Cool (2001)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/shaolin_soccer.htm>Shaolin Soccer
                          (2001)[cameo]
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/la_brassiere.htm>La Brassiere (2001)[cameo]
                          All the Way (CHINA 2001)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/irresisistible_piggies.htm>The
                          Irresistible Piggies (2002)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/haunted_office.htm>Haunted Office (2002)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/so_close.htm>So Close (2002)
                          <http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/twins_effect.htm>The Twins Effect
                          (2003)[cameo]
                          Red Snow (CHINA 2003)
                          Enter the Phoenix (2004)
                          Around the World in 80 Days (USA 2004)
                        • Reese
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                            At 01:41 PM 5/4/2004 +0000, you wrote:

                            >Region 1 version's out with all the extra languages and subtitle tracks
                            >mentioned:
                            >
                            >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000U0X1Q/qid=1083648795/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-6682236-8802215?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

                            The only problem with dealing with Amazon Dot Con is their so called
                            privacy policy. They sell your information and even the information on
                            anyone you happen to have a package shipped to. Dealing with them is
                            exactly like handing your personal information to spammers and Identity
                            thieves. As Amazon stated once on a national news program, 'If they pay us
                            we'll give them anything.'

                            I'll order via Best Buy today, I found out last night that they can get it
                            for me.
                          • Reese
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                              At 03:33 PM 5/4/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                              >Johann Chua -- HP: http://www.geocities.com/fuuma_1999/
                              >"Does anything last forever? Does love? Does pain? I'll
                              >tell you when I'm a thousand years old." Karen Kunawicz

                              That answer is simple. Both love and hate are immortal. Nothing else
                              is. At least, nothing I have seen in my long life.
                            • BlueRoseDeya@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                                In a message dated 5/3/2004 6:52:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, duomaxwell@... writes:
                                Speaking of must see movies. You guys should also see Jesus christ:
                                vampire hunter. The gist of the plot is vampires can now walk in the daylight
                                by useing the skin of lesbians and jesus must fight them.
                                http://www.odessafilmworks.com/jcvh/index.html
                                Did i mention it's a musical.

                                sounds interesting...i just checked out the link and well it seems interesting...listened to a part of one of the songs before my 56k dial up decided to kill it horribly....something like "he came from heaven with two stakes in his hand to smote the vampires and free this land"  and i think i heard "it's all good it's alright everyone gets laid tonight..." forgive me if this is wrong but it keeps cutting out.  lol i would actually enjoy seeing this sometime.  i mean combine a kung fu jesus w/ a mexican wrestler and you have an oscar winning movie right there ^_^   and from reading the reviews such as http://www.tangmonkey.com/pulp/2-8/jesus.php i am even more amused.

                                -sharon

                              • cricharddavies
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Reese <rhys@s...> wrote:
                                  > At 03:33 PM 5/4/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                                  > >Johann Chua -- HP: http://www.geocities.com/fuuma_1999/
                                  > >"Does anything last forever? Does love? Does pain? I'll
                                  > >tell you when I'm a thousand years old." Karen Kunawicz
                                  >

                                  > That answer is simple. Both love and hate are immortal. Nothing
                                  > else
                                  > is. At least, nothing I have seen in my long life.

                                  Uh-huh. And you're a thousand years old, to be tossing lines like
                                  that off?

                                  Chris Davies.
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "cricharddavies" <cricharddavies@y...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > > That answer is simple. Both love and hate are immortal. Nothing
                                    > > else
                                    > > is. At least, nothing I have seen in my long life.
                                    >
                                    > Uh-huh. And you're a thousand years old, to be tossing lines like
                                    > that off?

                                    Okay, kids - take it off-list. This is not on topic, funny or of
                                    interest. It goes bye-bye now.

                                  • Johann Chua
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                                      At 12:12 PM 5/3/2004 -0500, Reese wrote:
                                      >>If you're an action flick afficionado and/or like cool, competent and
                                      >>highly sexy women, this is definitely a must-see movie. In fact, I
                                      >>liked it so much, I have every intention of buying it and writing a
                                      >>fanfic for it. LOL
                                      >
                                      >I'll have to hunt it up I guess.

                                      Region 1 version's out with all the extra languages and subtitle tracks
                                      mentioned:

                                      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000U0X1Q/qid=1083648795/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-6682236-8802215?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

                                      I got the Region 3 version locally for about half the price, though with fewer
                                      languages and subtitle tracks. Good thing it was in stock locally since
                                      ordering from Asian DVD sites would've cost as much as getting the R1 version,
                                      though R3 seems to be OOP.
                                    • Johann Chua
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                                        At 05:03 PM 5/3/2004 -0000, atheniag wrote:
                                        >One of the videos I rented was called "So Close" (Chik yeung tin sai)
                                        >and it was so good that I want to share with you all.

                                        I really like Corrinne May's version of "Close to You" that was played at key
                                        moments, but it doesn't seem to be on any CD, including the movie's
                                        soundtrack!

                                        The OST is out of print so I didn't have any qualms about downloading it as
                                        archived MP3s using eMule. For some reason Karen Mok sings "Close to You"
                                        even though this version wasn't even in the movie's end credits.

                                        Corrine May's self-titled solo album is nice, though.

                                        http://www.corrinnemay.com