Incest or lesbiana: What the public wants.

  • Reese
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2004
      At 09:51 AM 5/3/2004 -0700, you wrote:
      >On Sun, 2 May 2004, Reese wrote:
      > > >* The horny lesbian who gropes all girls.
      > > In my long life I have never observed a 'horny lesbian groping all the
      > > girls' and I've always preferred to work with lesbian/gay people than
      > > straight. At least their professional in their jobs.
      >
      >I should point out that we don't typically see "horny *guy* who gropes all
      >girls" in real life either, and anime is full of that too.

      Where have you been? I've seen it more than I can stand. I have not
      worked anywhere, from the USAF in the 70's to political campaigns in 04'
      that I haven't seen at least one jack-a-nape groping every woman he thought
      he could get away with.
    • Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2004
        On May 2, 2004, at 8:52 PM, Jen wrote:
        > So tell me, while incest is now apparently no longer a taboo
        > and ready for public consumption as a genuine genre, is Japan
        > still too conservative to accept an anime with genuine lesbian
        > leads?

        As far as I know, incest is still a taboo everywhere except West
        Virginia. ;) </Joke> Seriously, Koi Kaze is using the incestuous
        desire of its lead as a dramatic device, to add tension and interest in
        what would probably be an otherwise tensionless premise. Young man gets
        to know his much younger sister after a long separation. Not to say
        that this premise can't be done exceedingly well on its own, but
        without the hook it might have been a harder sell. Frankly, I don't
        think you'll find an explicit incestuous relationships anywhere outside
        of hentai, so Koi Kaze will string us along with Koushirou's struggle
        with temptation so we keep watching and after 13 episodes it will
        either have a conventional happy ending or Koushirou will end up as
        tragic object lesson in why you shouldn't lust after your sister, you
        freak.

        Anyway, the answer to your question, is yes, the mainstream, Japanese
        and American, is still uncomfortable with the idea of gay lead
        characters. Which is why Yuricon exists to push, prod and finally drag
        kicking and screaming the mainstream to accept the notion that gays and
        lesbians are *gasp* people too and not just plot devices or comic
        relief, etc. It won't happen overnight, this kind of social attitude
        adjustment never does, hence the taking over the world part of the
        Yuricon mission, because it's far easier to institute positive change
        under the heel of a jackboot. ;)

        > (... put away that box of hentai. You KNOW what I mean. No
        > wait... bring that box back. Something caught my eye... I
        > said bring it ba... BRING IT BACK, DAMN YOU!!)

        I don't think any of my hentai is in a box, because everyone knows I'm
        a dirty old man, so why hide it?

        > I know of a few anime with *implied* yuri-ness like Utena and
        > the like, but I'm still too mainstream. I know of no anime
        > lesbians that get leading roles, instead always pushed to the
        > back of the bus as secondary characters:

        And so goes the history of women, black, hispanic, asian characters in
        mainstream media (at least in the US) as well. Even now, in 2004, the
        diversity of minority characters, ethnically, culturally or sexually,
        has never been greater, but there is still a long, long ways to go.
        Changes in social attitudes is evolutionary, meaning that it takes
        generations (I think Foucault said something like that in his
        maddeningly obtuse "The Order of Things", but I'm just guessing,
        because it was maddeningly obtuse. ;) and quite a bit of nagging from
        activists. As an example the general attitude toward women has changed
        significantly since the 1950's in this country, but there is still no
        true parity.
        I can't really speak about the Japanese media, I wouldn't even know
        where to begin. Maybe, with the fact that the US is a hodgepodge of
        cultures and ethnicities, and the Japanese are fairly homogenous
        ethnically and don't have the same concept of minority as we do, but
        that's about the extent of my arguments, I haven't read enough to
        venture forward from there.

        > While there may indeed be genuine lesbian anime out there, I
        > sure don't know of any. The only lead anime lesbians I know
        > of are only lesbians because *I* say they are. All you ever
        > see on the screen are the cliche lines of "true friendship"
        > and "soulmates" and so on. Yawn.

        Well, I think you can argue that most relationship fall into either the
        implicit or explicit categories. And how many of the popular straight
        anime romances are really implicit, but just accepted as explicit?
        Where they don't tell you outright two people are going to end up
        together, they just nudge and wink and point you in that direction. All
        of the harem anime have implicit relationships, you just know that SPLB
        is going to end up with one of the girls, but you never see them
        hooking up.

        > Is the Japanese public truly unprepared for true lesbianime
        > on TV? Incest has made the leap to the big time... are lesbian
        > tales still confined to the world of doujinshi?

        I would argue that incest has been in the "big time" since Sophocles.
        And no lesbian tales are not confined to doujinshi. Erica will correct
        me on this, but Yuri Shimai and Yuri Tengoku are not doujinshi, I don't
        know how popular or successful they are, but they are commercial
        ventures, not fan publications as far as I know. And Rica Takashima,
        Eriko Tadeno, and Yamaji Ebine are professional lesbian mangaka. So
        while the mainstream is not flooded with yuri stories, they do exist
        outside doujinshi.

        > The UTENA movie notwithstanding, is there any genuine lesbian
        > anime out there, and I just don't know it (thus making this
        > entire post meaningless)? Or is the UTENA movie only praised
        > so much because it's the *only* anime out there where the lead
        > character's a lesbian? (...so I assume. I haven't seen the movie
        > yet!)

        Well, I've been thinking about you criteria (out and proud and the
        lead) and I can't think of any really at the moment, but there might be
        one or two on The List, I'm just too lazy to check right now, and I'm
        not sure that even the Utena movie meets that criteria.

        -==-
        Serge
        Let the corrections and counter arguments begin. ;)
      • donnaneely
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2004
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:
          > Oh look, a genuine romantic drama about a great big man and
          > his teeny-tiny schoolgirl sister falling in lo~ve.

          > http://www.jascii.net/newanime/season.php#koikaze

          > So tell me, while incest is now apparently no longer a taboo
          > and ready for public consumption as a genuine genre, is Japan
          > still too conservative to accept an anime with genuine lesbian
          > leads?

          Couple of thoughts, some rhetorical......

          why would one have an expectation that any one society or culture
          should have a more or less tolerant attitude to "taboos" just because
          they have animation/manga as vibrant lucrative industries?

          secondly, isnt it in fact because they are lucrative and mainstream
          that they do not represent all facets of relationships and humanity?
          Just like television and movies just about anywhere in the world. I
          remember with Fire came out in India there were riots - and that was
          a movie that folks could easily avoid. There is some unspoken
          assumption on the part of the public that broadcasts have tighter
          limitations then say books. I suspect there is a dissertation in
          there but I wont bother.

          As for Koi Kaze which I am watching devotedly:

          the reviews i have read by your run of the mill male otaku are
          woefully inadequate. i realize the subject makes them, and others,
          jumpy but that is EXACTLY the material that the story is
          examining. "Taboo" feelings and how one might struggle with them.
          From both perspectives I might add the brother's and sister's

          another comment, lots and lots of anime has very large sized men with
          very petite sized women - even if those women are adult. i agree that
          the sister is drawn in a fashion that makes her look 10 instead of 14-
          15 and in high school, but this is not unique to Koi Kaze in my
          experience. so why would that be more of a sin in Koi Kaze?

          I do not for a minute believe that these two characters will actually
          be sexual with one another......but they will definitely live through
          the angst and agonies of being attracted to someone "taboo". I
          suspect that these are the struggles that I am identifying with in
          the series. Something just feels familiar there.

          beyond that - again I downloaded this show because I heard songs from
          the credits on the RONDO website and fell in love with the music.
          Following the music seems to be exposing me to quite a wide variety
          of shows. <grin>

          donnaneely
        • Simon Catterall
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2004
            I would like to dispute that, i've seen plenty of
            horny guys (and not horny guys) groping girls all the
            time, weather they want to be groped or not. Go and
            check out the some of the jocks and the arseholes pen,
            you'll see plenty. ;)
            And it's not just groping women either :D
            neh

            Frankly it annoys the hell out of me but what can you do?

            http://au.movies.yahoo.com
          • Simon Catterall
            Message 5 of 13 , May 3, 2004
              whoops, a bit late on that comment...Reese already
              said something :P
              hehe
              Excuse the traffic...

              --- Simon Catterall <simoncatterall@...>
              wrote:
              ---------------------------------
              I would like to dispute that, i've seen plenty of
              horny guys (and not horny guys) groping girls all the
              time, weather they want to be groped or not. Go and
              check out the some of the jocks and the arseholes pen,
              you'll see plenty. ;)
              And it's not just groping women either :D
              neh

              Frankly it annoys the hell out of me but what can you
              do?

              http://au.movies.yahoo.com

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

              Terms of Service.

              http://au.movies.yahoo.com
            • Reese
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2004
                At 11:09 AM 5/4/2004 +1200, you wrote:
                >whoops, a bit late on that comment...Reese already
                >said something :P
                >hehe
                >Excuse the traffic...

                I don't mind being backed up when I'm right. Its being backed up OVER when
                I'm wrong that hurts.

                owwie.... Knobbies....

                You have been selected for a secret mission.
                Message 7 of 13 , May 4, 2004
                  >From: "Jen" <puni@...>

                  >So tell me, while incest is now apparently no longer a taboo
                  >and ready for public consumption as a genuine genre, is Japan
                  >still too conservative to accept an anime with genuine lesbian
                  >leads?

                  I think you're mistaken about the nature of taboo here. Anime and manga have
                  never been meant to represent reality. They are, in large part a way for a
                  culture that doesn't have good lines of communication to deal with taboo
                  issues. That's why so many lesbians exist in anime, while almost none
                  actually act or look like actual lesbians.

                  Incest isn't acceptable now in Japan, any more than it has ever been - the
                  anime exists to deal with issues of fantasized incestual thoughts, rather
                  than to represent something that is accepted.