Gone OT RE: [Yuricon] Re: Where do I start? Horrible, but on-topic

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2004
      >From: "Jude McLaughlin" <dziwozony@...>

      >This is Anno on antidepressants.
      >
      >This is your brain on Anno on antidepressants. *KABOOM*

      I finished reading the new Eva manga last night - I am still collecting
      pieces of my brain from various locations...it's worse than you can possibly
      imagine. Like some horrible altfic story, where everyone is out of character
      and the situation is only marginally similar to the one established in the
      anime.

      Shinji's a nice kid, prone to disturbing dreams about human-shaped giants of
      light. Asuka is clearly in love with him - her temper is about the only
      thing that's the same as the original. Rei is happy, pleasant,
      garrulous...<shudder> and the rest of the class if filled with all the other
      kids from the anime, including Kaoru who is , thank the gods, still creepy
      and Shinji-obssessed. He also seems to be the only one who knows what's
      going on.

      Misato is their homeroom teacher, Ritsuko is their school doctor and they
      all still appear to be pilots at NERV, which is a large corporation where
      their parents work, but none of them seem to know the true deal. Gendo is
      still hateful.

      I did enjoy the scene where Shinji is confronted by Ritsuko, who tells him
      that she's his father's lover. It freaks him out for the whole volume. Good.
      It freaked me out too.

      As of this volume, there's no implication of yuri, but I'll keep reading to
      see if Asuka, perhaps, falls for Rei, which would so much more interesting
      than being in love with Shinji. Sure, he's nice, but he's a yutz.