OT - Libraries and manga/anime was Re: Princess 9 - my guilty pleasure???

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 24, 2004
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Clarissa C. S. Ryan" <claris@s...>
      wrote:

      > Even if most of it's shounen and kids' stuff I don't care about, I
      should
      > still write them a note of appreciation or something, I reckon. AND
      they
      > have Love and Rockets, Elfquest, The Watchmen, Go Girl, League of
      > Extraordinary Gentlemen, Van Helsing, etc.
      >
      > It really takes a librarian in the system who is knowledgeable about
      > anime/manga/comics and willing to push things, as far as I can tell.

      My library is also busy buying graphic novels - and they're not just
      buying stuff for kids. They have two new stickers YA Graphic Novel and
      Adult GN. I just took out Osamu Tezuka's "Buddha" a few weeks ago,
      which was great.

      The Library Journal which, along with Kirkus Reviews, is the book
      book-reviewing magazine in the library world reviews manga and anime
      on a semi-regular basis. Manga has shown up at the Public Libraris
      Assoc. annual meeting and the Am. Libriary Assoc. annual meeting, too.

      So, most libraries have heard of this thing, these days - and, like
      Harry Potter, if it gets people to read, then they are willing to get
      it. Librarians WANT people to use their libraries. Really! :-)

      But they won't order something they don't know about, so if you think
      your library ought to have something and they don't -tell them about
      it!