Re: [Yuricon] Re: Learning Manga from a Kat

  • Kathryn Williams
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2001
      > That is really odd. YOu don't do stuff like characters that actually
      > overlap frames then? How do you get boxes which aren't rectangular?
      > Do you have to crop your drawings? What about making everything fit
      > into the margins??? Interesting...sounds like a way to get more
      > details into your drawings, but tons more work. I can't believe you
      > add backgrounds after too. You must have a tablet then, right?

      I can do all of that and more. Overlaps, Odd shaps and what not. I only crop
      what I feel like. Many times I will actually draw the image bigger then draw
      a box as to how I wasn the image to be cropped later. I'll be teaching all
      of this as I come upon it. and no it isn't alot more work... actually alot
      less. I'm guessing you wheren't here during the converstaion about Letrotone
      backgrounds and Spot collections. Most Mangaka do the background last and
      nope I don't have a Tablet I have a Trackball... I love my Trackball.
      > I use microns! ^_^ But, they're starting to frustrate me. I'd like
      > really thin shoujo lines for hair, but the thinest micron I could
      > find, the 005 one, doesn't look smooth when I draw with it. Almost
      > like it's catching on the tiny ridges of the page. I was thinking of
      > buying actual nib pens, except they wouldn't be half as convenient.

      I spent 7 years working with Microns in school you just have to know how to
      use them is all. I get all sorts of line qualities out of them without even
      going as small as a .01. Mind you the pen barly touches the paper at time
      but that is half the trick of them. Keep practicing and you'll get the hand
      of it. Plus don't fight the pens. I've noticed that they have a mind of
      thier own and only work when you understand this. Such as for the best line
      out of an .08 you have to roll the pen. A Graphic 1 work best when you swip
      it across the page. Mind you, you realy have to have alot of trust in your
      own lines before doing this. Just keep at it and you'll get teh hand of it.

      Luck to you

      ja

      Kat
    • kethla@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 30, 2001
        > I can do all of that and more. Overlaps, Odd shaps and what not. I
        only crop
        > what I feel like. Many times I will actually draw the image bigger
        then draw
        > a box as to how I wasn the image to be cropped later. I'll be
        teaching all
        > of this as I come upon it. and no it isn't alot more work...
        actually alot
        > less. I'm guessing you wheren't here during the converstaion about
        Letrotone
        > backgrounds and Spot collections. Most Mangaka do the background
        last and
        > nope I don't have a Tablet I have a Trackball... I love my
        Trackball.

        Oh, I see what you mean. I started off as a American Comic fan,
        so...that's one manga technique I never adopted. I still expect some
        part of the background to be in each of my frames. Early
        Marvel/Dc/etc. influence has also affected the consistency of my
        drawings. I'll draw shoujo-manga-ish and then I'll decide that
        everyone needs smaller eyes! well defined noses! actual lips! THis
        is especially true when I try to draw ethnically diverse characters.
        How do you show someone is african/indian/etc. in manga style?

        Yeah, I'll keep to it with the micron work. >_< I bought them...so
        I might as well use them. :p

        ~Heather
      • Trixterpriest@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 30, 2001
          > everyone needs smaller eyes! well defined noses! actual lips! THis
          > is especially true when I try to draw ethnically diverse characters.
          > How do you show someone is african/indian/etc. in manga style?

          Actually, there's now a "how to draw manga" book that deals with that ;p Interesting reading...

          Kun
          ----'-,-{@

          > Yeah, I'll keep to it with the micron work. >_< I bought them...so
          > I might as well use them. :p
          >
          > ~Heather

        • Lucy Kennedy
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 30, 2001
            kethla@... wrote:

            > I use microns! ^_^ But, they're starting to frustrate me. I'd like
            > really thin shoujo lines for hair, but the thinest micron I could
            > find, the 005 one, doesn't look smooth when I draw with it. Almost
            > like it's catching on the tiny ridges of the page. I was thinking of
            > buying actual nib pens, except they wouldn't be half as convenient.

            I've been trying out drawing with actual nib pens recently;
            I have a lovely old set I bought in France a few years ago.
            I have a couple of problems with them, but they're mostly
            related to the fact that I haven't got the time or money to
            go scouting out the best possible materials. Basically, the
            penholders I'm using are slightly too large for most of my
            nibs, so they wobble a bit, and the main type of drawing pad
            I'm working with is slightly too porous. I also had one
            awful awful moment when I stupidly thought I'd ink a
            watercolour I'd done, on watercolour paper. Blotches
            everywere. Fortunately, the black ink I'm using fades to
            brown when sufficiently diluted, so I was able to salvage
            the picture.

            Just my tuppence worth :)

            Lucy

            --
            Lucy Kennedy * New College, Oxford
            http://users.ox.ac.uk/~newc1248/ - evolving home site
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 30, 2001
              Kat wrote:

              >Something to be understood before starting this. I don't do things like
              >normal. In fact as far as I know noone puts together Manga quite in the way
              >I do which is one of the reasons I've been asked to teach my way at so many
              >cons and now University. My way is different in the fact that I draw ever
              >indavidul panel seperatly.

              Sounds like how Connie Willis never has complete initial drafts--just a whole
              bunch of passages and notes that she pieces together into the final draft.
              I usually hear of artists doing layouts or thumbnails before the full-size
              art, sometimes involving a light-box for tracing the enlarged layouts.

              __________________________________
              www.edsamail.com
            • Kathryn Williams
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2001
                > Sounds like how Connie Willis never has complete initial drafts--just a
                whole
                > bunch of passages and notes that she pieces together into the final draft.
                > I usually hear of artists doing layouts or thumbnails before the full-size
                > art, sometimes involving a light-box for tracing the enlarged layouts.

                I've seen some that use a gride as well...

                ja

                Kat