Marimite Question about Yumi's Date Expenses

  • atua101
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2004
      Apologies in advance for the cross-post...

      I've been re-watching Marimite episode 12 and I realised during
      Yumi's scene with Shimako about the 3000 yen date expense that I
      couldn't figure out why Yumi was so worried about the money.

      Unlike the other two dates, which are sponsored by the Newspaper
      Club, the Chinensis date is a private arrangement, so in theory Yumi
      & Sachiko have no set expense amount. The only real limit is Yumi's
      budget. :-)

      It's just that the scenes with Sachiko giving Yumi 1500 yen and the
      one asking her whether it was okay to make purchases with their own
      money seems to indicate that they're playing by the Newspaper Club
      date rules, when there's really no reason for them to do that. So I
      wonder why they'd artificially set that 3000 yen budget for
      themselves when they'd have trouble getting movie tickets & lunch for
      2 for that amount of money according to Tsutako. It's not like
      Sachiko couldn't afford to spend a bit more.

      ~atua