Re: [Yuricon] Thoughts on Marimite 12

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
      On Mar 30, 2004, at 5:18 PM, sean@... wrote:

      > On 30 Mar 2004 at 14:51, atua101 wrote:
      >
      >> I knew that Sachiko was an ojou-sama, but not knowing how to handle
      >> salespeople and a seventeen year record of never setting foot in a
      >> fast food joint did surprise me a bit. I hadn't quite realise she was
      >> *that* naive about how the other side lives, though I should've
      >> figured from ep 9. It was weird seeing Sachiko dressed like she was
      >> going to the office when on a date. And that briefcase she was
      >> carrying looks a lot like her school bag.
      >
      > I found myself wondering if Sachiko was playing with Yumi's mind a bit
      > with this 'what is it like to live as a real person' schtick, but
      > admit it's more
      > likely that is simply the case.

      I'm thinking it might be a little bit of both. I got the impression
      that she might have been playing it up a bit, but that maybe more of my
      perception, because I can't wrap my head around the fact that there are
      people like that out there, it's too abstract a concept I think. ;)

      >> The choice of the movie seems to be something that Yoshino might
      >> prefer rather than Rei. Chisato probably picked it based on the mixed
      >> up newspaper questionnaire responses. Poor Yoshino, torturing herself
      >> over Rei's date. Poor Rei, she's going to be sooo dead.
      >
      > See, everyone is talking about how dead Rei is going to be, but I
      > don't see
      > Yoshino's reaction as the anger/jealousy she's radiated before (such
      > as during
      > the cards search) but genuine anguish. I think Rei should worry more
      > if she
      > *isn't* dead...

      Yeah, I agree with Sean here, this doesn't look like jealous Yoshino at
      all. It looks like Yoshino's more insecure than she lets on. I got the
      impression that maybe perhaps Yoshino's worried that Rei might, for
      whatever reason, decide that she likes Chisato more than Yoshino.

      > Gigantea Date
      > Nobody in the episode seems that interested in this date including
      > the participants, but this is probably the most interesting date for
      > me. Shimako had brave words about it pre-date, but Shimako was the one
      > who seems scared if anything.

      Yeah, this one got me perked up too. Something is definitely going on
      here. Shimako is really nervous and Shizuka has this lean and hungry
      look about her. I'm eagerly awaiting the sub for this one to see how
      this plays out. (Yes, I've already read the spoilers, but it just makes
      me want to watch it even more. )

      -==-
      Serge
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004

        > > I found myself wondering if Sachiko was playing with Yumi's mind a
        bit
        > > with this 'what is it like to live as a real person' schtick, but
        > > admit it's more
        > > likely that is simply the case.
        >
        > I'm thinking it might be a little bit of both. I got the impression
        > that she might have been playing it up a bit, but that maybe more of
        my
        > perception, because I can't wrap my head around the fact that there
        are
        > people like that out there, it's too abstract a concept I think. ;)

        Agreed on both counts. A few times I thought, yeah, she's screwin'
        with Yumi's mind, but Sachiko's confusion seemed genuine - and
        remember, we know from the kindergarten flashback that Sachiko did eat
        sandwiches with a knife and fork.

        One of the things I love about Mina from Air Master is that, even
        though she's also an ojou-sama, she's so game to do anything, that we
        (and her friends) forget it, until something goofy reminds us. But
        Sachiko hasn't ever had anyone like Yuu (who has been Mina's friend
        since childhood, and obviously introduced her to game centers and
        gyudon joints) so she just has no experience of things like that...no
        more than I have experience with going to a boutique by appointment
        and being fitted with custom clothes. :-)

        What I liked best was watching Sachiko completely unbend... I mean,
        she really just wanted to be with Yumi and it obviously *really*
        didn't matter to her what they did. I think Yumi was thinking way too
        hard - she could have walked Sachiko around a park and that would have
        been fine with her.

        Ultimately, the shopping for jeans things worked out beautifully -
        Yumi learned that Sachiko really, really, liked her - enough to want
        to have things she had, and Sachiko got to be with someone who helps
        her learn to relax and just have fun. She was really leaning on Yumi,
        which was good for both of them.

        > > See, everyone is talking about how dead Rei is going to be, but I
        > > don't see
        > > Yoshino's reaction as the anger/jealousy she's radiated before
        (such
        > > as during
        > > the cards search) but genuine anguish. I think Rei should worry
        more
        > > if she
        > > *isn't* dead...

        > Yeah, I agree with Sean here, this doesn't look like jealous Yoshino
        at
        > all. It looks like Yoshino's more insecure than she lets on. I got
        the
        > impression that maybe perhaps Yoshino's worried that Rei might, for
        > whatever reason, decide that she likes Chisato more than Yoshino.

        This also hearkens back to something we got a glimpse of in her arc -
        this idea that Rei is only her souer because it's expected. I think
        that she can't help but be insecure - she's got a passionate nature,
        and Rei is sooo type B. If Rei were smart, she'd throw a few sweet
        nothings Yoshino's way to remind her how important she is to her. The
        cake works too, but I think the chocolate should have read. "To
        Yoshino - are you busy tonight?" LOL

        I thought that rei handled the date with real grace, though...she
        didn't *appear* to have any issues, was kind and sweet. The slips of
        the tongue were pretty human, we've all called people by someone
        else's name. In this case, it was kind of sad to think that Chisato
        thought she'd make an impression on Rei - but for us, it was nice to
        hear that Rei's whole heart is set on Yoshino.

        > > Gigantea Date
        > > Nobody in the episode seems that interested in this date including
        > > the participants, but this is probably the most interesting date
        for
        > > me.

        Absolutely. I was dying to know what was going to happen.

        > > Shimako had brave words about it pre-date, but Shimako was the one
        > > who seems scared if anything.

        And Shizuka wasn't making this easy on her, either. No, "Hey, let's go
        bowling!" or anything.

        > Yeah, this one got me perked up too. Something is definitely going
        on
        > here. Shimako is really nervous and Shizuka has this lean and hungry
        > look about her.

        I kept thinking that Shizuka had cat eyes - very intense and
        searching and yes, hungry.

        And the final scene with Sei and Shimako blows all my confident
        theories about them only being alike and not having anything between
        them. I'm wrong. :-) For whatever reason, I guess they just prefer to
        keep whatever connection they have private (and given Sei's history,
        it does make sense. Having already had one affair become the talk of
        the school, she'd hardly want to parade any other emotional
        connections she managed.)

        Well, that was a delightful end to the episodes and I definitely hope
        we'll get more!