Fic: Slayers Mirror

  • Shannon J. L.
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
      Someone mentioned it was quiet, so... random fic!

      Part One: http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1589038

      Slayers: Mirror Six

      Later that evening Lina poked at the fire with a stick, the
      shadows of twilight settling down around the three of them in their
      small camp. They had set up not too far from the now deserted bandit
      camp, the hidden valley razed by a well placed Dragon Slave.

      Her hair was almost same color as the flames Lina tended as
      she looked over at Naga, "You don't remember?"

      Naga shook her head firmly, the black haired warrior woman
      carefully sharpening the great sword that she usually carried over
      her back. "I'm sorry Lady Amelia," the leather clad warrior gently
      said to the young woman who was sitting on the other side of the
      fire, "but I don't have any memories, not past a certain point."

      "There is a resemblance there," Lina noted, looking between
      both women.

      "Indeed," Amelia softly agreed, her short black hair glowing
      in the firelight. Her white garb shimmered in the light as she
      looked at Naga, "My elder sister has been missing for many years, I
      had hoped that you...."

      "Even if I was," Naga said to her gently, "I am but a
      mystically produced copy of the woman. You would still need to seek
      out the original."

      "And no," Lina swiftly anticipated the question as Amelia
      looked at her curiously, "I don't know where the original Naga is."

      Amelia nodded with a soft sigh. She hesitated but
      asked, "May I ask what caused you two to stop being partners?"

      "We were rivals right from the beginning," Lina lay back,
      looking up at the starry sky, "and that was what ultimately broke up
      the partnership. I walked away after we fought over a bounty we had
      won and I haven't seen her since."

      Naga slid her sword away with barely a whisper, setting the
      great weapon aside but still easily within reach. "What are you
      going to do now?" she asked.

      "I'm not sure," Amelia said. "I know I need to let my father
      know about this," she reflected then lit up, "I know! Lina, Naga,
      would you care to accompany me back to Saillune?"

      Lina sat up again, looking over at Amelia curiously as she
      drawled, "And why would we want to go see Phil?"

      "My father could identify if Naga is my sister better than I
      could," Amelia said eagerly, "and with your Naga's help we could try
      a similarity spell."

      Naga nodded thoughtfully at that, "Use me as a template and
      then look for anything similar. My different personality shouldn't
      create too many problems." She looked over at Lina before saying
      with a smile, "I'm willing."

      Amelia hid a smile as she added, "I'm sure my father would
      be willing to compensate you for your time and trouble."

      "Why didn't you say so," Lina smiled back impishly.

      Naga rolled her eyes at that comment. Lina curled up,
      falling asleep not far from where the two women sat talking. They
      fell silent for a moment, Naga looking over at Amelia and studying
      the younger woman thoughtfully.

      "What?" Amelia asked softly.

      "What was your sister's name?" Naga asked her curiously.

      "Gracia el Naga Saillune," Amelia said simply.

      Naga's lips moved as she repeated the name to herself
      softly, getting the feel of it. "Gracia," she murmured to herself
      softly, "I don't know if that's quite my style."

      "You didn't use it much," Amelia said, "you prefered the
      middle name."

      Naga looked up at her calmly, "Don't make too many
      assumptions. You yourself haven't recognized me as your sister."

      "Fair enough," Amelia agreed, "but...."

      "You want that hole in your history," Naga mused as she
      looking into the fire, "that piece ofd your past restored."

      "Exactly," Amelia nodded. "With all that my family has been
      through over the years," she said, "it would bring my father great
      happiness if my sister could be restored."

      "And I'll do whatever I can to help," Naga promised
      warmly, "as long as I'm not seperated from Lina-san,"

      Amelia blinked, looking at the sleeping figure then at Naga
      in confusion. "You and she...?" she said faintly.

      "No," Naga shook her head firmly, an oddly sad little smile
      on her face,"but I gave my work to accompany her."

      "I would never see another forsworn," Amelia agreed, still
      studdying Naga thoughtfully.

      Naga looked away, a bit of a blush to her cheeks. "We'd best
      get some sleep," she said, "it's going to be a long day tomorrow."

      "Of course," Amelia agreed and they settled down to sleep.

      Lina snuggled into the warmth, sleepily wondering if the
      fire was still going. 'No,' she mused, 'Naga and Amelia wouldn't
      have let it keep burning.' She opened her eyes a bit, peering
      sleepily, then her eyes popped open wide.

      Naga's face was peaceful, her short dark hair framing her
      handsome face. Her breasts were pressed against Lina's front, rising
      gently with her breath. Lina turned a bit, blinking, and saw Amelia
      snuggled up against her back, her child-like face sweetly innocent.

      'They really do look alike,' was the odd thought that ran
      through Lina's mind.

      With some effort the slim redhead slipped out of both
      women's grasp, watching as they fidgeted a moment before settling
      back to sleep. Cheeks red Lina walked off into the woods, gathering
      more firewood and trying to recover her composure.

      'I don't go that way,' Lina thought as she walked back
      towards the camp. Still, laying there with Naga, it had been oddly
      exciting to her. Looking at Naga's sleeping face she had been
      tempted to press forward, to kiss her just once.

      "Lina," Amelia was stretching out, her black hair messy from
      sleep, "you're up early."

      "Something woke me up," Lina said dryly, dropping the lumber
      by the fire. She frowned, noticing Naga was gone.

      "Lady Naga left to wash up at the stream," Amelia informed
      her pleasantly. She began rooting through their packs, "Do you want
      me to make some breakfast? I'm sure I saw a bag of nutritious
      porridge in here somewhere...."

      "Thanks," Lina stacked the wood in the fire pit, igniting it
      with a casually tossed fireball. "Be right back," Lina waved as she
      headed towards the stream.

      The sounds of rushing water grew louder as Lina approached
      the stream. She broke through the trees and brush, stopping cold in
      honest surprise. Naga was standing out in the stream, her clothes in
      a pile on the bank. Her back was pale but muscular, matching
      glimpses of her arms Lina had seen. Her waist was slim but healthy,
      and the bottom that faced Lina was probably one of the best that the
      world had ever seen.

      "Naga?" Lina croaked out. She cleared her throat, then
      repeated in a bit louder.

      Naga turned slightly, covering her breasts with one hand,
      reaching down to shield her lower parts with the other. "Yes Lina?"
      she asked.

      Lina turned, quickly, her cheeks beet red. It wasn't the
      nakedness that was the problem, it had been the cool, assessing gaze
      the warrior laid on her. "Amelia's starting breakfast," she managed.

      There was the sound of movement in the water, then rustling
      as clothes were pulled on quickly. "I'm sorry," Naga put her hand on
      Lina's shoulder, "I thought I'd be done before anyone came looking
      for me."

      Lina met her gaze, glad to see that Naga was fully
      dressed. "I didn't mean to disturb you," Lina managed.

      "It's all right," Naga reassured her, running a hand through
      her wet hair. She looked Lina over, "Do you want me to stand watch
      while you bathe?"

      "Maybe next time," Lina murmured, moving to head back to
      camp.

      To be continued...
    • shane Jayell
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2004
        Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1589038/1/

        Slayers: Mirror Nine

        "Lina," the voice was quiet as she was gently
        shaken by the shoulder, then added more urgently,
        "Lina, you've got to wake up."

        "Wha...." Lina blinked up owlishly at Naga,
        the dark haired woman looking down at her in concern.
        "What's wrong?" she managed.

        "I'm not quite sure," Naga admitted, "but
        listen."

        Lina shook her head, then she tilted it to the
        side. "Right," the redhead muttered, trying to listen.
        The walls were thin enough that she could hear Amelia
        next door, but other than that it was entirely quiet/
        "I don't hear anything," she grumbled.

        "Exactly," Naga agreed, "no night sounds or
        any people out there. This village is large enough
        there should be some sounds...."

        "Damn," Lina muttered, realizing she was
        probably right. She got off the bed, quickly stripping
        her night clothes off and dressing, noting that Naga
        was all ready to go.

        "Let's go get Amelia and then...." Naga opened
        up the door, froze for a moment, then she slammed it
        shut firmly.

        "What?" Lina looked over at her in confusion
        as Naga drew her sword with a steely rasp, taking up a
        guard position.

        "Undead," Naga growled as she loudly kicked
        the door open and leapt out into the hallway, her long
        sword swinging. The first rank squished wetly as she
        cut them down, the others looking mildly surprised to
        find their foes awake and ready.

        "Fireball," Lina cried as she blasted the
        other shambling creatures, flame consuming the remains
        leaving only a oily smoke in their wake.

        Amelia's door was open and the remains of a
        zombie flew out, splattering against the far wall. The
        white clad young woman stumbled out sleepily, "What's
        going on?"

        "Not sure yet," Naga answered crisply, "but
        it's trouble."

        "We'd better check the other guest rooms,"
        Lina offered.

        They went down the hall, quickly peering into
        the open doors but there were no survivors, the
        creatures had obviously jumped them while they were
        completely unaware. The trip downstairs was quiet, the
        three watching warily for more of the undead.

        "No sign of the inn keeper," Amelia noted, the
        black haired girl sounding concerned..

        The three of them looked around the empty
        common room warily, taking in the damage. The tables
        were broken, thick cobwebs hanging down as if the
        place had been abandoned for years, completely unlike
        the place they had just ate at. The scent of rotting
        food hung in the air, enough to make their stomachs
        turn.

        "Well, we can try to hole up here till dawn,"
        Lina said thoughtfully, "or head outside and try to
        find out what's going on."

        "If there's more undead we'd do better
        fighting a running battle," Naga noted, "we could
        easily be overwhelmed in here."

        Amelia nodded gravely, "Those slain upstairs
        must be avenged."

        Lina nodded, "I don't much care for the
        undead, anyway."

        The front door creaked loudly as they pushed
        it open, the three women warily moving out onto the
        street. The moon shone down on them, bands of dark
        clouds streaming across the night sky. A brisk wind
        carried dust down the battered street, the edges of
        the cobblestones beneath their feet broken to rubble.
        The buildings were falling down all around them,
        blackened wreckage and open timbers jutting out of the
        ruined facades.

        Naga scanned around them, her dark eyes
        narrowed as the leather clad warrioress stood ready.
        "The town must have been under a glamour of some
        kind," she noted.

        "It doesn't feel like that," Amelia murmured,
        "it's something.... darker."

        "Lovely," Lina muttered. Off in the distance a
        wolf howled, the eerie tone echoing in the distance as
        she scowled, "Want to bet it's werewolves? I hate
        werewolves!"

        Naga fought back a smile. "Can either of you
        get a sense of where this might be focused?" she asked
        crisply.

        A pale white light shimmered all around
        Amelia, the warrior of justice calling up her power
        and reaching out with her magic. It was almost like
        watching the mirror Lina at work, a gentle purity
        washing across the two of them and then out across the
        ruined city around them. There was something like a
        snarl out in the darkness, something dark out there
        reacting to the power directed against them even as
        the light winked out.

        "There," Amelia puffed out a breath, pointing
        to the ruined castle on the far side of the river, out
        in what had once been the high class part of town.

        "The castle," Lina shook her head, "of
        course."

        "Let's go," Naga said as the three took off at
        a run.

        This part of the city was once filled with
        life, the merchant men and women loudly calling out to
        sell their wares. Now the stalls were falling down,
        empty, the remains of their stock a fowl mess on and
        behind the counters. The undead shambled out from the
        shadows and alleys, gray rotting flesh falling from
        yellowed bone only to be blasted back by magic or cut
        down by sword.

        "There's a bridge ahead," Amelia said,
        hammering on a creature trying to grab at her white
        shirt. It collapsed, dust billowing around it as they
        moved on.

        "We need to cross the bridge to get to the
        castle," Naga said grimly, a swing of her blade
        scattering another bunch of the rotting foes.

        "Which means that there might be something a
        bit more serious waiting for us there," Lina said as
        they came around a corner. The three women skidded to
        a stop, taking in the bridge and what awaited them
        there in awe.

        The stone bridge was mostly intact, massive
        slabs of granite used to put the great structure
        together. None of them noticed the fine stone work,
        eyes focused on the creature standing on it. The giant
        was dead, the flesh hanging in flaps from his massive
        arms but the thirty foot tall figure still looked
        imposing, eyes glowing a sullen red.

        The massive club, probably made from an entire
        tree, came up with a smooth motion as the creature
        boomed, "None shall pass."

        Naga actually smiled, raising her sword to the
        ready as she studied her enemy thoughtfully. "A
        challenge," she murmured, "I love a challenge."

        "Together we can defeat it," Amelia said
        firmly, "for justice is on our side!"

        "No," Lina said firmly, looking up at the
        creature as her red hair flew back from her face like
        a banner, cloak fluttering around her, "this thing is
        mine."

        �Lina....� Amelia said as she started to
        follow her then Naga stopped her with a gentle hand on
        her shoulder.

        �No,� Naga shook her head, looking at Lina
        with gentle concern as she continued, �I�ve seen Lina
        like this before, it�s best to let her do what she
        feels she must.�

        �Heed me, oh spirits darker than dusk," Lina
        intoned, her voice carrying with it an eerie tone,
        �red beyond crimson flow like blood. In the name of
        those fallen to dust, I pray to the shadows. Mark ye
        these villains that bar our way, and to my small
        strength thine own ally, to deliver doom, folly repay.
        Come judgment from the grave, Dragon Slave!�

        Lina seemed to explode with energy, the
        scarlet fire surging forward in a massive stream of
        destruction. The giant raised his wooden club in a
        futile gesture but the massive weapon was consumed
        almost as fast as he was. In moments all that was left
        of the rotting hulk was ash, spiraling down across the
        bridge and into the river bellow.

        �Wow,� Amelia murmured, the she shook herself
        visibly. �Do you think that was their most powerful
        weapon?� she asked, referring to the now destroyed
        creature.

        �Maybe,� Naga said thoughtfully, �but I
        wouldn�t count on it.�

        �Let�s get moving,� Lina said calmly, �there�s
        still the castle ahead.�

        The three women crossed the bridge into the
        high class part of town, the buildings around them in
        moderately better condition as they raced down the
        paved streets. Garish remnants of finery were draped
        in empty windows, fine manors of the wealthy now
        looking forlorn and abandoned. The fading scent of
        perfume hung in the air, the remnants of bottles once
        broken open lingering long after the perfume itself
        was gone.

        Here the undead performed a twisted imitation
        of their former existence, the rotting forms trying
        their best to carry on as if nothing was wrong.
        Couples staggered along the streets together, the
        remnants of fine clothes falling off gaunt bodies,
        parasols held to block the nonexistent sunlight. They
        seemed disturbed by the three living women moving
        through their world but did not attack, merely gazed
        in confusion as they passed.

        �This is almost more disturbing than when they
        were attacking us,� Amelia noted as they raced through
        the crowd of dead men. The castle quickly began to
        rise up in front of them, the winding streets bringing
        them closer and closer.

        Naga lead the charge at the closed gates of
        the castle itself, her sword describing a clear arch
        as she struck out against the rotting lumber. With a
        loud crack the gates flew open, guards behind them
        shambling to try and take up their positions.

        �Rune flare,� Amelia blasted them without even
        breaking stride, the three charging forward. �The
        tower,� she yelled to the others, �it�s up in the
        tower!�

        �Why is it always the tower?� Lina muttered
        under her breath as they bolted across the courtyard,
        striking as needed against the undead.

        �Lack of originality, maybe?� Naga smiled
        slightly as she shouldered the heavy oak door open,
        the stone steps spiraling upwards. Moonlight shone in
        through holes in the walls, revealing steps that were
        battered and crumbling.

        �Watch your step,� Amelia said. They took the
        stairs as fast as possible, the small band winding
        their way up the dim stairway until they reached
        another heavy door. She reached out, touching the wood
        then shivered, �It�s here.�

        BOOM! Naga kicked the door open, she and Lina
        racing inside with Amelia trailing behind. The chamber
        within was beautifully decorated, firelight
        illuminating what oddly looked just like a woman's
        sitting room. A woman looked up from where she sat in
        a comfortable chair, a faintly glowing ball gently
        held in her hands.

        "Isn't the city beautiful?" the delicate,
        almost unearthly blonde looked up, eyes filled with
        madness. "Just like the magician promised," she
        cradled the ball close as she cooed, "we only have to
        pay with these nights...."

        "This has to stop," Lina said firmly, already
        preparing her spells.

        "No!" The girl rose, the light from the ball
        shifting to red, "Everything will be the way it was,
        it has to be, and I won't let you stop it!"

        All around the woman wisp like spirits rose
        up, trying to take on physical form. There was a
        sudden pressure, the air thickening even as Lina and
        Naga moved almost as one. Lina struck with her spells,
        a flare of fire and light drawing the dead's attention
        even as Lina strode forward.

        "Now!" Naga drove her sword down, slamming it
        right through the orb.

        "No...." the girl moaned as the ball exploded.

        The wave of scarlet fire washed across the
        room first, then it stretched out across the city. The
        undead stopped, pausing as the light struck them, then
        they seemed to collapse. Bone and flesh dissolved to
        ash, the rot and corruption that had gripped the town
        fading away to simply age....

        "The sunrise never looked so beautiful,"
        Amelia admitted, the three of them walking away from
        the ruined town.

        "A long wait for dawn," Naga nodded. The three
        of them, along with the mad girl, had camped out in
        the castle. They thought that destroying the orb had
        destroyed the undead, but there was no reason to take
        chances.

        "So the next town we visit," Lina said, "we'll
        send someone back for the lady."

        "I wish we could have taken her with us,"
        Amelia sighed.

        "Considering she had hysterics when we tried
        to take her from that room, I'd rather leave her for
        the guards," Lina scowled. "Anyway, without the orb
        she's harmless, right?"

        "I hope you're right, Lina," Naga said
        quietly.

        To be continued....

        =====
        "But what really impresses me is how beautiful you look, standing in the moonlight," Rika to Renamon, Digimon Tamers

        http://www.livejournal.com/users/shanejayell/
        http://www.shiruetto.com/cgi-bin/ib/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi
        http://saik.freeservers.com/index.html