Re: [Yuricon] MariMite 11 (spoilers)

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 26, 2004
      On Mar 26, 2004, at 12:11 PM, kate0211@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 3/25/2004 5:30:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > sean@... writes:
      > Words cannot describe how much I disagree.  Shiori impacts on Sei's
      > life now just as she did
      > then.  If we don't get a full, well-rounded picture of her, we run
      > the risk of making her too
      > shallow - which makes Sei shallow because of her love for her.  Sei
      > didn't fall in love with a
      > one-dimensional nun wannabe.
      > But how much depth-of-character do we have for Youko or Eriko?  And
      > they're more important to what's happening in the here-and-now than
      > Shiori is.  And if Shiori had more impact on Sei than being her "first
      > love" (and being a "first love" adds depth for anyone who's had that
      > experience, since it leads to fairly universal "this is the only
      > person for me, ever" feelings, though it very rarely turns out that
      > way, and therefore some pretty crushing heartache when it ends).  I
      > just don't see where adding more depth to Shiori, especially over the
      > limited course of a series, is going to add anything to story being
      > told.  *shrugs*

      I kinda fall in the middle here, I guess. There was clearly enough
      material here to make this a 2 or even 3 episode arc, and I would have
      loved to have seen them flesh this all out more, since I agree with
      Sean that it needed more development, but I'm guessing that they were
      probably too far into production by the time they found out there was
      going to be a second season, to make any changes. And while Sei is a
      popular character, Yumi and Sachiko are supposed to be the stars, so I
      don't think they really could justify doing 2 or 3 episodes in a row
      that Yumi and/or Sachiko are barely in, especially when Sei, Youko and
      Eriko graduate at the end of this season.
      I think Shiori exists in the anime not as a character but as a plot
      device to give depth, dimension and history to Sei. And this emotional
      short hand is probably all we're going to get, until the manga starts
      covering it or someone who has read the novels fills us in on all the
      details and nuances that were left out.
      With a second season, though, I hope they revisit this after they cover
      all the novels. Maybe do a Rashomon-style episode from Shiori's point
      of view, like they did with Mifuyu in the Valentine's day episode, but
      it's probably just wishful thinking.

      -==-
      Serge