ROD TV (Kissy-kissy!)

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, kate0211@a... wrote:

      > (Some apparently wanted a kiss... yeah, keep dreaming.
      > Aren't they (Anita & Hisami) 12 or something?)

      Here's a question for any American readers: Do you guys
      Kiss Hello?

      Here in Australia, it's just the thing you do. From primary
      school all through High School (Or whatever Americans call
      the schools when you're 10-17), you would always Kiss Hello
      your friends, be it before school, after, between class or
      just social. Always in some small catpack, I'd Kiss Hello
      at least five girls every day, many times, six days a week.

      NATURALLY this is not romantic (No tongue either. Calm down,
      any boy readers!)... just a simple Kiss Hello (Sometimes NOT
      simple when you're getting off the train and you have 9
      classmates to Kiss Goodbye. 1... 2... 3... sh*t, hurry up!).
      However, I've begun to wonder if this is in any way odd outside
      Australia. The Japanese being majorly prudish, and Americans
      being descendants of Puritans, I'm wondering if even simple
      Kiss Hello's would appear queer to you guys.

      If Anita were Australian, she'd probably kiss Hisami hello
      all the time... but of course being a pink-haired Anglo fresh
      from Hong Kong, if Anita started kissing her Nihongo clasmates,
      everyone would probably recoil in shock, prattling on about
      having lost their First Kiss. *gasp* *shocku*

      That reminds me of an hilarious anecdote. ^_^

      My Nihongo teacher had been living in Australia for many years
      now, and had returned home for holiday to see the folks. At
      the airport, first thing she did (after waving) was kiss her
      mom hello... and OH THE LOOK OF HORROR from mummy and daddy!
      Mother dear was aghast and looked like some stranger had
      sexually assaulted her, and dad had no idea what sort of
      *thing* his daughter had become.

      As for our class, a good laugh was had by all... even sensei,
      who told us it took her quite a few seconds of panic to
      realise the faux paux. Just stood there, sensei did; wondering
      what she had done that was so awful. ("Have I kissed the wrong
      people? Oh sh*t, what have I done? Are these just two people
      who *look* like my parents? Were they waving at someone behind
      me? Someone say something!") ^_^

      Kisses XXOOXX
      Jen
    • Kun
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004

        >> Here in Australia, it's just the thing you do.  From primary
        school all through High School (Or whatever Americans call
        the schools when you're 10-17), you would always Kiss Hello
        your friends, be it before school, after, between class or
        just social.  Always in some small catpack, I'd Kiss Hello
        at least five girls every day, many times, six days a week.

        Sooo....what's the cost of living in Austrailia? ;)

        Kun
        ----'-,-{@
      • Chalcahuite
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
          On Mar 23, 2004, at 8:09 PM, Andy00@... wrote:

          > Actually, I don't think Yomiko's the Paper Master yet, that's why they
          > have Donny in as some sort of vegetable or something.    To have him
          > out of the story, but Yomiko at "pre" Master status.
          >
          > Doesn't Paper Master Yomiko create a storm of paper that covers all
          > of Britain in the manga?

          I don't know, sounds like you've heard or read more than I have.

          -==-
          Serge
        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
            On Mar 23, 2004, at 9:54 PM, Andy00@... wrote:

            > Spoilers  (some Noir spoilers too, actually)
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > Okay...I've been thinking.    Joker tells Anita that everything in
            > Hong Kong was a lie....BUT, we see the MAM carved into the Mary and
            > Jesus statue at the old church (we also saw that statue after Hong
            > Kong sunk)
            >
            > I think Joker is telling the truth about what Anita and her sisters
            > are, but lied about the point of time between their memories were
            > created, and they spent as themselves.    (to mindscrew Anita)
            >
            > Thus, I think they were programmed right before the scene in the
            > Church.

            I agree. The Church scene seemed real, and looking back at it, Maggie
            and Michelle's reactions make sense now. Before the revelation I
            thought it was a setup of some sort and now we know why. It was a
            setup, but it wasn't a trap. And one designed specifically to generate
            real feelings to reinforce their programming.

            > BL created Anita from the DNA of Paper-Users (could be Yomiko and
            > Donny)  they probably gave her some extra strength for the hell of it.
            >
            > Anita's Paper abilities didn't awaken until Yomiko's Rage which
            > destroyed the BL, but was then suppressed by her memories.
            >
            > Dokusensha "acquired" Anita after they took over the BL's
            > operations.  Joker may have offered her to sweeten the pot.   They
            > gave Anita all kinds of uber-type training, that's where her fighting
            > abilities come from.  (Reminds me of Noir.)
            >
            > However, Anita's paper abilities were still closed.  So Dokusensha
            > decided to "create" a family for her, in order to draw her powers
            > out.  They found two socially incompatible Paper Users, and turned
            > them into Maggie and Michelle, completely erasing whoever they were
            > before.  They then created the Church scenario, which also
            > erased/replaced all of Anita's memories except for the Fire.   (which
            > is simultaneously why Anita's paper powers were awakened, in addition
            > to being suppressed, so they couldn't erase that.)
            >
            > This ALSO reminds me of Noir.  Kirika was mind-erased and sent to
            > Mireille for similar reasons.  (Judging how Chibi-Kirika was crying
            > right before she shot you-know-who, I bet she had issues with guilt
            > that Soldat's wanted to get around)
            >
            > With a loving pair of sisters who understood her, Anita was able to
            > somewhat handle her trauma and become a Paper User.  With the added
            > "bonus" even of not having the Paper Addiction.
            >
            > The combination of the three sisters is such that they are able to
            > draw strength from each other, and deal with their problems.
            > (Something that no other artifically created group could do.  Somehow
            > Anita being "real" had something to do with that.)

            OK. I'm with you through most of this, it all makes sense. But I would
            think that if Dokusensha went to all this trouble to set them up like
            this, then I would think that they would have treated their investment
            a little better. I'm not sure if we can extend the Noir analogy all the
            way. The BL and Dokusensha are not Altena and the Soldats. The BL and
            Dokusensha are enemies, none of them were seeking the
            transformation/revolution that Altena was planning for the Soldats,
            they'd really rather destroy the other. Thinking about it, I wonder if
            Joker was the one who set them up, because it certainly looked like
            Sammy Wong enjoyed a better relationship with Dokusensha than the
            sisters did. I got the impression that Dokusensha recognized their
            abilities, but never realized their potential, until it came crashing
            down around them.

            > But they need one more thing.  The Sisters are still subject to
            > manipulation by the BL and Dokusensha.
            >
            > Enter Nenene.   The "Mireille" of RODTV.   Her confidence, ability to
            > analyze, and role as "foci" makes the group into something that takes
            > the BL and Dokusensha down.  Despite being "normal."  (Mireille was
            > similar in Noir.  It wasn't her fighting skills that were important)

            This I think was more serendipitous than anything else.

            -==-
            Serge
          • Chalcahuite
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
              On Mar 24, 2004, at 7:37 AM, Jen wrote:

              > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, kate0211@a... wrote:
              >>
              >> (Some apparently wanted a kiss... yeah, keep dreaming.
              >> Aren't they (Anita & Hisami) 12 or something?)
              >
              > Here's a question for any American readers: Do you guys
              > Kiss Hello?

              As a cultural trait, no, most Americans don't kiss each other hello.
              Not that it doesn't happen and I haven't seen it before, it's just not
              something Americans as a whole do. Handshakes and hugs are commonplace.
              Between family members kisses are not uncommon, but from my perspective
              they're usually on the cheek, not on the lips.

              > NATURALLY this is not romantic (No tongue either. Calm down,
              > any boy readers!)...

              I resemble that remark! ;)

              > However, I've begun to wonder if this is in any way odd outside
              > Australia.

              Is this a trick question? ;)

              > The Japanese being majorly prudish, and Americans
              > being descendants of Puritans,

              Partly founded and influenced by Puritans, yes. Descended from, not
              quite. I'd say 85-90% of all Americans are descended from immigrants.
              But, yes, most Americans have conservative notions about sex,
              sensuality, and eroticism that I think is more generally Christian,
              than specifically Puritanical. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the
              Puritans were a persecuted fringe sect in England and came here just to
              be able to practice their beliefs in peace, but I don't think
              Puritanism survived into the 19th century, and certainly not into the
              20th. Though I'm not quite sure. I don't think I've heard of Puritans
              anywhere except in history books. Anybody?

              > I'm wondering if even simple
              > Kiss Hello's would appear queer to you guys.

              I think if you came to the US, made some friends and started kissing
              them hello everyday, you definitely get stared at by passersby. I think
              a majority of those staring would be curious first and foremost. And
              then either titillated or outraged or unimpressed. ;)

              -==-
              Serge
            • kate0211@aol.com
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                In a message dated 3/24/2004 7:38:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, puni@... writes:
                Here's a question for any American readers: Do you guys
                Kiss Hello?
                Almost definately not.  It happens sometimes, usually with people who have been to Europe, or came here from Europe.  Otherwise, the few other times I've seen it is among certain exclusive groups (the upper socio-economic class, sorority sisters, and other similar exclusionary cliques).  More common, yet still not terribly so, are greeting and parting hugs.  America seems to have a largely touch-phobic society, where any contact is seen a intimate, even a simple touch on the hand or shoulder.

                Katya
              • stellaluna_42
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

                  > Here's a question for any American readers: Do you guys
                  > Kiss Hello?

                  Sadly, no. Americans don't kiss hello.

                  I'm from Central America where women do a sort of half-hug/peck on
                  the left cheek hello/goodbye. So sometimes if I'm out of it, I'll do
                  it to my friends automatically, & they'll be shocked.
                  In fact, one time my female friend from Spain slipped and gave me the
                  kiss hello in front of some of the Japanese T A's from our Japanese
                  class. Boy, were they all shokku-shokku.

                  STELLALUNA ^*^
                • Clarissa C. S. Ryan
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                    On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Jen wrote:

                    > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, kate0211@a... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > (Some apparently wanted a kiss... yeah, keep dreaming.
                    > > Aren't they (Anita & Hisami) 12 or something?)
                    >
                    > Here's a question for any American readers: Do you guys
                    > Kiss Hello?
                    >
                    > Here in Australia, it's just the thing you do. From primary
                    > school all through High School (Or whatever Americans call
                    > the schools when you're 10-17), you would always Kiss Hello
                    > your friends, be it before school, after, between class or
                    > just social. Always in some small catpack, I'd Kiss Hello
                    > at least five girls every day, many times, six days a week.

                    Aw, how cute. No, we don't. In fact that's thought of as either a
                    Hollywood thing or a European thing.

                    That was one of the things that drove me nuts in the "Sakura"
                    dorama--either Sakura or or her sister (I forget) was behaving "typically
                    American" and so that meant she ran up and kissed everyone she met. So not
                    american.

                    > My Nihongo teacher had been living in Australia for many years
                    > now, and had returned home for holiday to see the folks. At
                    > the airport, first thing she did (after waving) was kiss her
                    > mom hello... and OH THE LOOK OF HORROR from mummy and daddy!
                    > Mother dear was aghast and looked like some stranger had
                    > sexually assaulted her, and dad had no idea what sort of
                    > *thing* his daughter had become.

                    Heeheehee. Well, we do hug and kiss our parents and relatives. Among
                    people I know hugging friends on greeting and farewell is only when you
                    haven't seen that pereson in a while or won't see them in a while.

                    And friends don't hold hands once they stop being children. It was nice to
                    see friends doing that in Taiwan and Japan. Aww. (But in a cafe in Taipei
                    once, these two girls came in and sat next to me and my gay male friend
                    from Singapore. At first their behavior passed for intimate friends, but
                    pretty soon there was feeding each other and squeezing knees and stuff. So
                    cute--they were really into each other, and I said to Jin, okay, look,
                    they're OPENLY lesbian--what gives? Taiwan is not gay-friendly [even
                    though there is a gay book/'toy'store near Taiwan University]. And he
                    said, yeah, but most of the individual actions they're doing COULD be
                    acceptable as just female friends, so that lets people file it under
                    'normal' in their heads, and just ignore the BLATANT DISPLAY OF LESBIAN
                    LOVE. Heh heh heh.)

                    Americans are so obsessed with personal space. :p

                    --
                    Clarissa Cates-Smith Ryan
                    claris@...
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                      In a message dated 3/24/2004 1:48:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, ximatl@... writes:
                      I don't think I've heard of Puritans
                      anywhere except in history books. Anybody?
                      They were called "Puritans" not because of their views on sexuality, but because of their views on religions; they practiced a "pure" faith that was supposed to be free of the corruption of the hierarchy of the Church of England by having individual churches control most of the decisions as to how to worship.  The Congregational church was it's direct descendant, and through a couple of mergers with other groups they became the United Church of Christ (headquartered in Cleveland), which is one of the few Christian groups that supports and affirms the rights of their GLBT members.  How do I know all this?  Because it is the church that I was raised in!  ^.^

                      Katya
                    • Chalcahuite
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                        On Mar 24, 2004, at 1:54 PM, kate0211@... wrote:

                        > In a message dated 3/24/2004 1:48:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        > ximatl@... writes:
                        > I don't think I've heard of Puritans
                        > anywhere except in history books. Anybody?
                        > They were called "Puritans" not because of their views on sexuality,
                        > but because of their views on religions; they practiced a "pure" faith
                        > that was supposed to be free of the corruption of the hierarchy of the
                        > Church of England by having individual churches control most of the
                        > decisions as to how to worship.  The Congregational church was it's
                        > direct descendant, and through a couple of mergers with other groups
                        > they became the United Church of Christ (headquartered in Cleveland),
                        > which is one of the few Christian groups that supports and affirms the
                        > rights of their GLBT members.  How do I know all this?  Because it is
                        > the church that I was raised in!  ^.^

                        Ah, OK. I couldn't remember what it was about them that made them flee
                        England, other than persecution. And it seemed odd that they just
                        disappeared, but now I know. Thanks. ;)

                        -==-
                        Serge
                        "And knowing is half the battle."
                      • rosepress@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                          Standard Time, puni@... writes:

                          > Here's a question for any American readers: Do you
                          > guys Kiss Hello?

                          Depends. I've seen a lot of it in the Society for Creative Anachronism, pretty irrespective of the gender(s) of the kissers.

                          Rose
                        • Simon Catterall
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                            When i lived in Asia (this was mainly in Malaysia) my
                            friends and i, we always used give a kiss on each
                            cheek and a big hug. We were a big mix of ethnics,
                            from American to Spanish, Malay and Chinese, NZers,
                            Australians, everything. I guess its just people
                            today. They change.

                            However i do know that in France they have no problem
                            with a kiss hello on the cheek, (even if they don't
                            know you!) But i have to agree, America is a little
                            prudish :(

                            Now i am in New Zealand, i haven't seen any kissing so
                            i don't think they are really into that here.

                            Anyway Big Kiss from me! :D

                            Simon

                            ---------------------------------
                            Standard Time, puni@... writes:

                            > Here's a question for any American readers: Do you
                            > guys Kiss Hello?

                            Depends. I've seen a lot of it in the Society for
                            Creative Anachronism, pretty irrespective of the
                            gender(s) of the kissers.

                            Rose

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                            Terms of Service.