Gunslinger Girl?

  • love_caska
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 28 8:00 AM
      Hey everyone,
      I've been in this group for probably about a month or so... I can't
      say exactly, but this is my first time posting a message here ^_^.
      Last night I downloaded the first six episodes of Gunslinger Girl. I
      had seen images from the manga before and something about it had
      appealed to me. I haven't watched much of it yet ((half of the first
      episode)) but so far I LOVE the character designs and music (the
      opening theme is wonderful).

      Most of the main characters are [young] girls, so I was wondering if
      anyone knows if there's any shoujo-ai in this series? Even from
      images I saw before... it made me think of shoujo-ai, but who's to
      say.

      I don't want any spoilers... but if you know of any shoujo-ainess in
      this series, please do share!!
      Thank you!
    • Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 28 8:09 AM
        On Feb 28, 2004, at 11:00 AM, love_caska wrote:

        > Most of the main characters are [young] girls, so I was wondering if
        > anyone knows if there's any shoujo-ai in this series?

        Unfortunately, no. Most of the girls are conditioned for loyalty to
        their handlers, which are all older men in this series, and in most
        cases this conditioned loyalty turns to love, sometimes with tragic
        results. No, it's all straight relationships here, albeit creepy, sad,
        tragic ones, but still . . . .

        -==-
        Serge
      • love_caska
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 28 9:28 AM
          Aww, that's too bad =/. I just finished watching the first episode
          though and I am rather happy with it so far. I mean, of course ANY
          anime would be better with more shoujo-ai, but I won't NOT watch
          something with lack thereof, ya know?

          Thanks for the info though! I really appreciate it, hehe. ^_^
        • Lex Tenou
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 29 9:31 AM
            If you want to read the manga, it and numerous others are carried in Barnes
            and Noble and Borders. New dumps for manga seem to appear on a monthly
            basis. -.-;; Right now you should see Excel and....damn I forgot what the
            other one is...and a spinner rack of Tokyopop manga.

            I know Gunslinger Girl, Those Who Hunt Elves, Lone Wolf and Cub, Utena,
            Miyuki-chan in Wonderland, Chobits, Ringu, Shirahime Syo, Brigadoon,
            I.N.V.U., Gravitation, Girl Got Game, DiGi Charat, Saint Seiya, GunSmith
            Cats, Azumaga Daioh and somewhere between thirty and fifty more titles are
            supposed to be carried in Barnes and Noble. Borders is the same, though they
            group all the manga together. Barnes and Noble has a kids section, a teen
            section and an adult section. ...Miyuki-chan in Wonderland goes in the teen
            section. -.-

            Oh, and original translated Sailor Moon? Yeah, it's going out of print. And
            it goes in kids.

            No new release date is set, but there is hope for a better translation,
            considering the growing foothold Kodansha is gaining in the US manga market,
            and the renewed interest in the brand due to PGSM.

            Oh, and it is possible to order Sera Myu CD's into Barnes and Noble. I've
            done it. Granted, I had about a half hour of playing around to *find* the
            CD's, but it is possible!

            One last thing...If you're going to put Yu-Gi-Oh! on DVD, why don't you go
            the full nine and get the original voice tracks so fans of Ogata Megumi can
            have their moment of Zen?

            Lex

            The Utensil Drawer: http://listen.to/daddyspork
            The Sporkettes: http://spork.rulestheweb.com
          • love_caska
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 29 11:19 AM
              Yeah, I actually love going to any/all book stores, heh. But usually
              I just stop in at walden books at the mall to get my manga fix (plus
              im a member there), but I DO wanna go to barnes and noble sometime
              soon! They have a much better selection of manga, heh.

              I probably will pick up the gunslinger girl manga because now I've
              watched up the episode five and I like it A LOT even if there is no
              shoujo-ai *tear*.

              hehe, thanks for your help!
            • Adam Jones
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 29 11:23 AM
                On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:31:34 -0500, "Lex Tenou" <ltenou@...>
                wrote:

                > One last thing...If you're going to put Yu-Gi-Oh! on DVD, why don't
                > you go the full nine and get the original voice tracks so fans of
                > Ogata Megumi can have their moment of Zen?

                Zen, huh? So that's what you young people are calling it nowadays...

                (Also, despite the risk to my immortal soul, I can no longer resist the
                urge to insert the phrase "the sound of one hand fapping". I'll just
                slink away quietly, shall I? ;)
                .oO("pfsnl.intcs.pvdr" )
              • Alan Harnum
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 1, 2004
                  On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, love_caska wrote:

                  > Hey everyone,
                  > I've been in this group for probably about a month or so... I can't
                  > say exactly, but this is my first time posting a message here ^_^.
                  > Last night I downloaded the first six episodes of Gunslinger Girl. I
                  > had seen images from the manga before and something about it had
                  > appealed to me. I haven't watched much of it yet ((half of the first
                  > episode)) but so far I LOVE the character designs and music (the
                  > opening theme is wonderful).

                  I highly recommend the band who does the opening theme (The Delgados),
                  both the album that the Gunslinger Girl opening comes from ("Hate") and
                  their earlier ones. They have a very nice sound.

                  </musicdork>

                  -Alan
                • Renee
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 1, 2004
                    As much as I love the tragic, dark, depressing, and demented stuff, I can't even bring myself to watch or read any more of Gunslinger Girl. I think I needed prozac after the first 3 episodes.X_X
                    ~Renee

                    Message: 1
                    Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:31:34 -0500
                    From: "Lex Tenou"
                    Subject: Re: Re: Gunslinger Girl?

                    If you want to read the manga, it and numerous others are carried in Barnes
                    and Noble and Borders. New dumps for manga seem to appear on a monthly
                    basis. -.-;; Right now you should see Excel and....damn I forgot what the
                    other one is...and a spinner rack of Tokyopop manga.

                    Do you Yahoo!?

                  • Steven Perez
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 2, 2004
                      On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, love_caska wrote:
                      [...edit...]
                      >(the opening theme is wonderful).

                      It's 'The Light Before We Land' by The Delgados.
                      They're a pretty good band that's not all that well know (at least in
                      the US, that is).

                      PS: There. Now give me my Indie cred, dammit! ;P

                      Steven Perez AKA Sabre Kamen and Bishounen Hunter S @}|--'--,-`-,-`-,-'-,
                      Lover of Males and Females, and quite Kinky to boot! :D @}|--'--,-`-,-`-,
                      LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/bishounenhuntrs @}|--'-,--,
                    • Steven Perez
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2004
                        On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Alan Harnum wrote:

                        > I highly recommend the band who does the opening theme (The Delgados),
                        > both the album that the Gunslinger Girl opening comes from ("Hate") and
                        > their earlier ones. They have a very nice sound.
                        >
                        > </musicdork>

                        I should have know someone would beat me to it. >.<

                        Wah! You stoled my indie cred! ;P

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 3, 2004
                          On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Steven Perez wrote:

                          > On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Alan Harnum wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I highly recommend the band who does the opening theme (The Delgados),
                          > > both the album that the Gunslinger Girl opening comes from ("Hate") and
                          > > their earlier ones. They have a very nice sound.
                          > >
                          > > </musicdork>
                          > >
                          > I should have know someone would beat me to it. >.<
                          >
                          > Wah! You stoled my indie cred! ;P

                          Better put on some emo glasses, listen to Jimmy Eat World, and cry. :)

                          -Alan
                        • Adam Jones
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 3, 2004
                            On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:19:42 -0500 (EST), Alan Harnum
                            <harnums@...> wrote:

                            > Better put on some emo glasses, listen to Jimmy Eat World, and cry. :)

                            I believe I've found Alan's secret identity...

                            http://www.dieselsweeties.com/cast.shtml#pete

                            (See also: http://www.dieselsweeties.com/archive.php?s=861 )
                            .oO("stifle my speach" )
                          • Alan Harnum
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 4, 2004
                              I am a rocker. I rock out.

                              (Adam, it's scary, that's exactly the character I was thinking of when I
                              made those posts :))

                              -Alan

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 4, 2004
                                >From: Alan Harnum <harnums@...>

                                >I am a rocker. I rock out.
                                >
                                >(Adam, it's scary, that's exactly the character I was thinking of when I
                                >made those posts :))

                                You two are so sympatico - someone should write an Alan/Adam slash. LOL

                                Learn how to help protect your privacy and prevent fraud online at Tech
                                Hacks & Scams. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/techsafety.armx
                              • Adam Jones
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 4, 2004
                                  On 04-Mar-2004 11:28 -0500, Erica Friedman wrote:
                                  > >From: Alan Harnum <harnums@...>

                                  > >(Adam, it's scary, that's exactly the character I was thinking of when I
                                  > >made those posts :))

                                  > You two are so sympatico - someone should write an Alan/Adam slash. LOL

                                  Yeesh. What is it with people wanting to slash me? It's not like I'm
                                  particularly bishonen - my chin can't cut glass, for one thing.

                                  Besides, I never engage in hedonistic orgies with people I haven't had
                                  the pleasure of meeting in person (sorry, Chris ;) .
                                  .oO("your not getting any apologies off me!" )
                                • Steven Perez
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 5, 2004
                                    On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Alan Harnum wrote:
                                    > On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Steven Perez wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Wah! You stoled my indie cred! ;P
                                    >
                                    > Better put on some emo glasses, listen to Jimmy Eat World, and cry. :)

                                    No, no. I shall go, and cry myself to sleep listening to The White
                                    Stripes. </tongueincheek>