Re: Marimite 4

  • firebird1919@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4 9:11 PM
      From: Seravy~ <distorted_souls@...>
      Subject: Re: Marimite 4 comments and spoilers

      "I didn't think that Rei took Yoshino for granted. Despite saying that
      they don't need to be clingy, I think Yoshino has more problem about
      Rei's "clinginess"."

      I really didn't get that impression. I don't think that Yoshino is
      bothered by the act of Rei's 'clinginess' as we're dubbing it. Her
      conversation with Yumi gave me the feeling that she feels quite isolated
      and thinks, possibly rightly so, that Rei is the only person that knows
      anything about her. It seems that the things Yoshino tells Yumi about
      her and Rei "We're cousins" "Live next door to each other" "Have known
      each other since birth" are what she believes are the reasons for Rei to
      choose her.

      Of course I can't say I know exactly what the writers are going for, but
      my impression is that the feelings on Yoshino's side when she decided to
      make an end to their sisterhood was that she wanted to be loved, not
      pitied. Even if she doesn't believe Rei pities her, maybe she just
      couldn't think of another way to make Rei be honest about things. These
      strong, silent types can be hard to work with, particularly the kind
      that secretly adore shoujo manga and knitting. At the same time,
      sometimes these sickly types are a lot more stubborn than people think
      they should be. The two definitely have that collection of opposite
      attributes thing going. It's a favorite of writers to create couples
      and siblings (especially twins) that make you think that the perfect
      person could be made by combining them.

      Rei's reaction to being dumped, as it were, does suggest that she
      depended on her relationship with Yoshino, whether or not she took it
      for granted.

      Then again, maybe what *really* happened was that Yoshino asked Rei to
      set her up with Eriko and when Rei refused that was just the end of that. ;)

      Cheers, all
      ~Birdie