"Blue" manga movie

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2004
      One of the shoujoai manga on the Shoujo Yuri Manga Guide
      http://www.yuricon.org/symg.htm is "Blue" by Nananan Kiriko.

      Just found this review for a brand-new movie based on the manga:

      http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/blue.shtml

      The reviewer sounds almost as jaded as I've become. LOL The reviewer
      is acting like there's so many great yuri narratives that this one is
      a bad example, but what he fails to realize is that, for the most part
      this is all we really *have* as lesbian narrative in manga or film.

      If you think about it, it's only now, I mean, the very past few years,
      that a few brave mangaka are venturing out of the conventions of
      shoujo manga to tell realistic lesbian narrative. (I include Rica
      Takashima and Yamaji Ebine in this category.) Even all the "new" yuri
      manga, like Yuri Shimai falls into the exact same patterns that Mr.
      Sharp is complaining about. I don't disagree with him, I wish we did
      have more of a choice.