Yuri Shimai 2

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 19, 2004
      I mangaed to get an extra copy of the new issue of Yuri Shimai, so
      look for a new round of auctions to go up next weekend. :-)

      This issue of Yuri Shimai was not really breaking new ground, but had
      more good than bad.

      "Strawberry Shake" (scanlations of whic are available on Mircx from
      #lililicious (the same folks bringing you Marimite with Anime-Source))
      is continued in Vol. 2. The story was surprising - it takes a turn
      from incredibly goofy to rather serious towards the end. I think we'll
      be seeing a third part for that story.

      There are at least two other stories I liked alot; one happy, one
      bittersweet. The happy one was very good, in fact, with only one real
      breakdown into "stupid shoujoai conventions".

      The "Vox Populi" section provided me with series to look for - always
      a good thing, and the fan art section in the back really made me
      happy.

      All in all, a reasonable second volume - I'll look forward to the
      third. ;)

    • Louise
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 21, 2004

        > I mangaed to get an extra copy of the new issue of Yuri Shimai, so
        > look for a new round of auctions to go up next weekend. :-)
        >
        > This issue of Yuri Shimai was not really breaking new ground, but
        had
        > more good than bad.
        >
        > "Strawberry Shake" (scanlations of whic are available on Mircx from
        > #lililicious (the same folks bringing you Marimite with Anime-
        Source))
        > is continued in Vol. 2. The story was surprising - it takes a turn
        > from incredibly goofy to rather serious towards the end. I think
        we'll
        > be seeing a third part for that story.
        >
        > There are at least two other stories I liked alot; one happy, one
        > bittersweet. The happy one was very good, in fact, with only one
        real
        > breakdown into "stupid shoujoai conventions".
        >
        > The "Vox Populi" section provided me with series to look for -
        always
        > a good thing, and the fan art section in the back really made me
        > happy.
        >
        > All in all, a reasonable second volume - I'll look forward to the
        > third. ;)

        Strawberry Shake is one of my favourite story in Yuri Shimai. I also
        like Under the Rose (but it was only in volume one).
        In my opinion second vol is better than first (especially in manga
        artists style. We have here greater variety than in the first vol),
        but the poster change for the worse.
        And I loved this art a'la Kill Bill from second part of Strawberry
        Shake.

        Lou
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 21, 2004
          >From: "Louise" <louise_salieri@...>

          >Strawberry Shake is one of my favourite story in Yuri Shimai. I also
          >like Under the Rose (but it was only in volume one).

          I didn't like "Under the Rose" at all. I find it very depressing to read
          about manipulative half-sisters...it seems so unsatisfactory all the way
          around, to me.

          >In my opinion second vol is better than first (especially in manga
          >artists style. We have here greater variety than in the first vol),
          >but the poster change for the worse.

          I have to say, I liked the first volume better - there was more energy in
          it. BUt, to be fair, I read Yuir Shimai 2 and Yuri Tengoku right on top of
          each other and I am heartily tired of schoolgirl romance right now. :-)

          Give me something where the characters are over 20, please! LOL

          >And I loved this art a'la Kill Bill from second part of Strawberry Shake.

          I really hope there's a third part to this story - it ended on a very
          ambiguous note this time.

          Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software � optimizes dial-up to the max!
        • Louise
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 22, 2004
            I saw some scans from Yuri Tengoku and Soeur Sengen Shiro. Could you
            tell me something about this two antologies?
            Could you also recommend me some interesting doujinshi with Haruka
            and Michiru (only)?

            Lou
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 22, 2004
              >From: "Louise" <louise_salieri@...>

              >I saw some scans from Yuri Tengoku and Soeur Sengen Shiro. Could you
              >tell me something about this two antologies?

              I just reviewed Yuri Tengoku today on "Okazu"; http://okazu.blogspot.com

              I'm not familiar with the other anhtology.

              >Could you also recommend me some interesting doujinshi with Haruka
              >and Michiru (only)?

              If you go to Google and put in those key words, you'll find many sites with
              suggestions. I don't tend to recommend parody doujinshi because, not only
              are there literally thousands of them, the quality varies so wildly, some
              are easy to find, while others are all but gone from the universe - it just
              doesn't make any sense for me to make recommendations. (I feel the same way
              about fan art and fan fic, as well...there are *so* many sites that are
              archives and review sites and suggestion sites, etc, that I feel it's
              pointless to duplicate that kind of effort.)

              But I'm sure other people here have some favorites that they can name. :-)

            • Sean Gaffney
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3 4:02 PM
                I'm sure Erica will be surprised that I got this, since I told her
                not 3 weeks ago I wasn't getting this. But I got a late Xmas
                present, and decided to make it YS 1 and 2 from Amazon.jp. (Shipping
                from there, btw, is very fast (3 days) and very safe (insured) if you
                suck it up and choose the expensive option.)

                So I decided, not being able to read Japanese and being a
                heterosexuial male, I was in an ideal position to be giving my
                thoughts on the second issue.

                It's pretty good. Its one major drawback is an overabundance of
                schoolgirl trauma stories, which get very boring all in a row.
                Interesting columns (which I hope Lililicious will translate as well,
                but will understand if they don't) include a look at yuri in selected
                shonen manga (including Air Master, Angel/Dust, and Miyuki-chan in
                Wonderland), a look at yuri-themed pop CDs, and what seems to be
                Nenene and Yomiko acting cute and yuri while doing a 'recommended
                reading' column.

                I'll skip the novels, which have nice illustrations but mostly make
                me go 'ooooh, look, there's 'onna'! I recognize that one!'.

                And the manga, in order:

                1) Some sort of Bottle Fairies pastiche, with 2 angel ornaments in a
                store being yuriesque. I imagine this is even more saccharine than
                it looks.

                2) School story. Some bondage, some boob grabbing, lotsa angst.

                3) See above, minus the bondage, but with lots more boob-grabbing.
                Do girls in Japan do this?

                4) Strawberry Shake, which is far more interesting than 90% of the
                other stories, mostly as it's not in a school, and the lead girl is
                certifiably nuts. I am so pleased we're getting more of this. Best
                of the volume.

                5) 2 girls stare moodily at each other for what seems like 80 years,
                but is only 16 pages. I felt like adding my own dialogue. "Her hair
                was shining in the sun. I wanted to go to her. But instead I looked
                down. She walked past me. I thought about The Jeffersons on DVD."

                6) Girl asks other girl to paint her. Very 'kawaii' character
                design. More angst. (This being Yuri Shimai, it's not 'in the end
                they all die unhappily' angst, but the usual 'I must confess my
                hidden burning loin passion' type stuff.

                7) MORE schoolgirl confessions. In color! (Police Squad!)

                8) What the hell? Um... girl brings ice-skating girlfriend hot
                drink, is accidentally kicked in the head, has huge gaping head
                wound. Very short, very 'Bah?' to the Japanese impaired such as I.

                8) SO MUCH SCHOOLGIRL CONFESSION IT IS ALL OVER YOU SCREEN! In its
                defense, this one prolly has the prettiest schoolgirls.

                9) An ancient princess, her maid, and their... laptop. OK, perhaps
                not an ancient princess. This looked interesting, I'd want to see
                this after Strawberry Shake.

                Overall, despite the repetitive themes and locations, I found this
                very worth the 838 yen. It gets the Sean Seal of Approval, which all
                anime lesbian fans swear by. :-D

                --SG
              • Akane Nokitsune
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3 4:23 PM
                  Darn..;.; Kinokuniya in my area couldn't get it
                  in..;.;

                  HAmmer-chan.

                  --- Sean Gaffney <sean@...> wrote: > I'm

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3 4:51 PM
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Gaffney" <sean@c...> wrote:

                    > 2) School story. Some bondage, some boob grabbing, lotsa angst.

                    This is actually the best of the bunch, by Morinaga Milk (the same
                    team that gave us "But We're Not Friends" from YS1.) The title is Kiss
                    and Love and the Prince. Other than Stawberry Shake, it's the best
                    story. (As was MM's first story.)

                    The story takes place in te same school that "But We're Not Friends"
                    took place in. "Kiss" is about two girls who are practicing for a
                    play. The girl who is playing the princess, Narumi, doesn't really
                    understand that Princess' feeling, so Tachibana-sempai, the girl
                    playing the Prince ties Narumi's hands behind her back, like the
                    Princess in the play. Caught up in the moment, the Prince kisses the
                    Princess.

                    There's a little angst, but mostly it's because Narumi actually
                    *likes* Tachibana. When Tachibana tried to apologize for her behavior,
                    she realizes that she did what she did because she likes Narumi. Ahah!

                    So, they live happily every after, and Nana and Hitomi from "But We're
                    Not Friends" make a cameo. :-)

                    > 4) Strawberry Shake, which is far more interesting than 90% of the
                    > other stories, mostly as it's not in a school, and the lead girl is
                    > certifiably nuts. I am so pleased we're getting more of this. Best
                    > of the volume.

                    They aren't schoolgirls (although Julia plays one on TV...literally)
                    but they are still 16. Julia's much like Tachibana in the above story
                    - she knows what she wants...but in her case, her manager is trying to
                    avoid a scandal between her and Ran.

                    Your synopses bring up several points - 1) Anything can sound
                    perverted when you describe it...and 2) YS isn't REALLY written for
                    middle-school age audience at all.

                    1) I say this because despite your description, Yuri Shimai is full of
                    nothing more than a few kisses and that irritating convention, the
                    chest grab. Mostly it's lingerng looks and confessions of love with no
                    follow up.

                    2) There's no furigana, which makes reading this a little more
                    time-consuming for me than genuinely teen-oriented manga.

                  • Clarissa C. S. Ryan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3 5:25 PM
                      An American friend of mine in Japan says that young Japanese women grab
                      her breasts all the time. (She is curvy and big-busted.)

                      heh.

                      I thought the princess story was intriguing despite the weird eyes.

                      --
                      Clarissa Cates-Smith Ryan
                      claris@...
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3 6:38 PM
                        >From: "Clarissa C. S. Ryan" <claris@...>

                        >An American friend of mine in Japan says that young Japanese women grab
                        >her breasts all the time. (She is curvy and big-busted.)

                        Okay then, there you go. :)

                        >heh.
                        >
                        >I thought the princess story was intriguing despite the weird eyes.

                        I remember that artist from somewhere else - a doujinshi maybe. It was a
                        Haruka/Michiru story...the princess looks exactly the same as their Michiru.

                        What are the 5 hot job markets for 2004? Click here to find out.
                        http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Custom/MSN/CareerAdvice/WPI_WhereWillWeFindJobsIn2004.htm?siteid=CBMSN3006&sc_extcmp=JS_wi08_dec03_hotmail1
                      • Kitsune
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 3 8:08 PM

                          Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

                          >I thought the princess story was intriguing despite the weird eyes.
                          I remember that artist from somewhere else - a doujinshi maybe. It was a
                          Haruka/Michiru story...the princess looks exactly the same as their Michiru.

                          I'd like to see a picture of Michiru like that. Any idea where I might find one?

                          ~Kitsune~

                          Do you Yahoo!?
                        • stellaluna_42
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 4 9:22 AM
                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Clarissa C. S. Ryan" <claris@s...>
                            wrote:
                            > An American friend of mine in Japan says that young Japanese women
                            grab
                            > her breasts all the time. (She is curvy and big-busted.)
                            >
                            > heh.

                            Now I can't wait to go to Japan. *eg*

                            STELLALUNA >_<
                          • clea
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 4 11:29 AM
                              ---
                              Oh how I long to be an anime character in strawberry shake. As for
                              the others, maybe my penchant for boob grabbing would no longer be
                              such a social drawback.