Slightly topical - somewhat related to ROD TV

  • Katerina E.
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004
      As has been mentioned here before, the Paper Sisters in R.O.D. the TV
      were named for the actresses who starred in the Heroic Trio movies;
      Michelle Yeoh, Maggie Cheung and Anita Mui. I just found out that,
      on the 29th, Anita Mui died from cervical cancer at the age of 40. :
      ( She'd only been diagnosed in the late summer/early fall, so it was
      probably at an advanced stage at that time. If you're a fan of Hong
      Kong cinema as well as anime, this is indeed sad news. Ms. Mui had
      started out as an idol singer in the early 1980s, and was considered
      the "Madonna of Hong Kong", but unlike the American original, could
      act. She had also been romantically involved with Jackie Chan about
      10 years ago. This is certainly sad news.

      Katya
    • Carmen DiProspero
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004
        --- "Katerina E." <kate0211@...> wrote:
        > As has been mentioned here before, the Paper Sisters
        > in R.O.D. the TV
        > were named for the actresses who starred in the
        > Heroic Trio movies;
        > Michelle Yeoh, Maggie Cheung and Anita Mui. I just
        > found out that,
        > on the 29th, Anita Mui died from cervical cancer at
        > the age of 40. :
        > ( She'd only been diagnosed in the late
        > summer/early fall, so it was
        > probably at an advanced stage at that time. If
        > you're a fan of Hong
        > Kong cinema as well as anime, this is indeed sad
        > news. Ms. Mui had
        > started out as an idol singer in the early 1980s,
        > and was considered
        > the "Madonna of Hong Kong", but unlike the American
        > original, could
        > act. She had also been romantically involved with
        > Jackie Chan about
        > 10 years ago. This is certainly sad news.
        >
        > Katya

        Thank you for sharing this. I was not aware about
        Anita's medical condition. I'm sorry to hear about her
        passing. She was one of my fave HK action actresses.

        Carmen ^_^

        Pardon my ignorance, but has she starred in any films
        with Jackie Chan?

        http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
      • immo
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004
          Actually, she has. I think she was in the movie... Rumble in the Bronx?
          with Jackie Chan. Man... I grew up listening to Anita Mui. She was
          frickin' awesome... :( I'll miss her.

          Carmen DiProspero wrote:

          > --- "Katerina E." <kate0211@...> wrote:
          > > As has been mentioned here before, the Paper Sisters
          > > in R.O.D. the TV
          > > were named for the actresses who starred in the
          > > Heroic Trio movies;
          > > Michelle Yeoh, Maggie Cheung and Anita Mui. I just
          > > found out that,
          > > on the 29th, Anita Mui died from cervical cancer at
          > > the age of 40. :
          > > ( She'd only been diagnosed in the late
          > > summer/early fall, so it was
          > > probably at an advanced stage at that time. If
          > > you're a fan of Hong
          > > Kong cinema as well as anime, this is indeed sad
          > > news. Ms. Mui had
          > > started out as an idol singer in the early 1980s,
          > > and was considered
          > > the "Madonna of Hong Kong", but unlike the American
          > > original, could
          > > act. She had also been romantically involved with
          > > Jackie Chan about
          > > 10 years ago. This is certainly sad news.
          > >
          > > Katya
          > >
          > Thank you for sharing this. I was not aware about
          > Anita's medical condition. I'm sorry to hear about her
          > passing. She was one of my fave HK action actresses.
          >
          > Carmen ^_^
          >
          > Pardon my ignorance, but has she starred in any films
          > with Jackie Chan?

        • Seravy~
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2004
            there's been talk that her death was somewhat suicidal
            considering that her sister died, too, of cervical
            cancer. One would think that she would take more care
            of herself/be more cautious since it could be
            hereditary. And after she had found out about her
            illness, Anita still continued her tour and combined
            with the deaths of many of her best friends (Leslie
            Cheung for one), a suicide(not literally but not
            caring after herself after the discovery of her
            illness) is possible. (there's also talk that she
            found out about her condition much earlier than
            annouced)

          • Seravy~
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2004
              > Anita Mui played his stepmother in the Drunken
              > Master movies.

              Oh! those are classics! I urge everyone to watch them
              even though it's not shoujo ai-y at all. Anita is
              HALARIOUS in them!

            • kun
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2004
                > As has been mentioned here before, the Paper Sisters in R.O.D. the TV
                > were named for the actresses who starred in the Heroic Trio movies;
                > Michelle Yeoh, Maggie Cheung and Anita Mui. I just found out that,
                > on the 29th, Anita Mui died from cervical cancer at the age of 40. :
                > ( She'd only been diagnosed in the late summer/early fall, so it was
                > probably at an advanced stage at that time. If you're a fan of Hong
                > Kong cinema as well as anime, this is indeed sad news. Ms. Mui had
                > started out as an idol singer in the early 1980s, and was considered
                > the "Madonna of Hong Kong", but unlike the American original, could
                > act. She had also been romantically involved with Jackie Chan about
                > 10 years ago. This is certainly sad news.

                It is indeed! I know her mostly from her many appearances alongside Stephen
                Chow...they were a great comedic team.

                Kun
                ---'-,-{@
              • Johann Chua