Re: [Yuricon] Kaleido Star

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 29, 2003
      From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

      > > Kaleido Star is basically "Aim for the Ace" in a Cirque de Soleil
      > > setting.
      >
      >The last issue of Newtype-USA had a write up on this series, and I
      >thought at the time, it might have potential, but I was so not
      >interested in the series after reading the write up, that I promptly
      >put it out of my head.

      I think it's fair to say that Newtype will never really be "pro" any girly
      series. It's a fairly strictly guy-oriented magazine. Kaleido Star is a girl
      series - no guy in his right mind would watch it. And there's nothing
      exceptional about the story or characters to cross that boundary. It's not a
      really shoujo series, it's a lame shoujo/action/magical girl hybrid. I can't
      see why the wonks at Newtype would have anything nice to say about it,
      really, when I can't find much to recommend it.

      On the whole, I would never use Newtype reviews, though, to judge an anime
      aimed at girls. Even if they do cover Marimite, it'll be for the shoujoai
      art/imagery...they won't be talking up the story. :-)

      Take advantage of our limited-time introductory offer for dial-up Internet
      access. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
    • Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 29, 2003
        On Dec 29, 2003, at 2:18 PM, Erica Friedman wrote:
        > From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
        >
        >>> Kaleido Star is basically "Aim for the Ace" in a Cirque de Soleil
        >>> setting.
        >>
        >> The last issue of Newtype-USA had a write up on this series, and I
        >> thought at the time, it might have potential, but I was so not
        >> interested in the series after reading the write up, that I promptly
        >> put it out of my head.
        >
        > I think it's fair to say that Newtype will never really be "pro" any
        > girly
        > series. It's a fairly strictly guy-oriented magazine. Kaleido Star is
        > a girl
        > series - no guy in his right mind would watch it. And there's nothing
        > exceptional about the story or characters to cross that boundary. It's
        > not a
        > really shoujo series, it's a lame shoujo/action/magical girl hybrid. I
        > can't
        > see why the wonks at Newtype would have anything nice to say about it,
        > really, when I can't find much to recommend it.

        I can't remember the article at all, I just remember that it sounded
        cliche and lame, and the character designs didn't really stand out, so
        there was very little impetus for me to check it out. And I figured
        somebody would have mentioned on list if there was any yuri or
        shoujo-ai elements way before now, so I thought that I wasn't missing
        much.

        > On the whole, I would never use Newtype reviews, though, to judge an
        > anime
        > aimed at girls. Even if they do cover Marimite, it'll be for the
        > shoujoai
        > art/imagery...they won't be talking up the story. :-)

        Eh, I usually just look at the pretty pictures anyway. ;) It's the
        anti-Playboy excuse, really.

        -==-
        Serge
      • Chalcahuite
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
          Have I said Happy New Year to everyone? No, well, Happy New Year to everyone!!

          So the Donna and I started watching Kaleido Star over the last couple of days. Rentanime.com just added a 5 disk service, I upgraded, and the first 5 discs arrived shortly thereafter.
          Totally sucked us both in, and now I've got to wait a week for disk 6, since Rentanime.com is just a single location in Florida and doesn't have the local distribution centers Netflix has. Oh well.

          Anyway, here's some thoughts on this old series we finally got around to watching:
          Anna and Mia definitely strike me as a couple. Donna, who doesn't wear the yuri goggles, well, at all really, started referring to them as "the lesbians" about halfway through. So, there's clearly something going on there. :-D
          Koyasu Takehito is forever doomed to be Touga from Utena in my mind. Every character he plays is a just a variation on that cool red-haired bastard. Having said that, Donna liked the Fool, but then again she has a thing for perverted older men who occasionally say something wise and helpful. ;)
          I would SO pay money to see any of the Kaleido shows live. Layla and Sora's swordfight on the burning, swinging ship tightrope FTW.
          Layla's and Sora's rivarly/partnership has an intensity that I can only describe as HAWT!! once it gets going in earnest about half way through the first series. I'm quite sure all they need is a little too much wine and they'd be all over each other faster than either of them could say "take me."  Clearly, there's a need for each other percolating below the surface, but the opportunities don't seem to be there to develop it into a romantic relationship, and their only outlet for that seems to be performing together. I keep thinking of how half of the Olympic figure skating pairs end marrying each other, as a sort of template or guide to how a Sora/Layla relationship might develop.

          More after we get disk 6 in and start on New Wings.

          P.S. I've started another blog, because I needed another place to write my thoughts down that nobody will read and I'll hardly update. ;) This is one will mainly be pop culture related, anime in particular, but there'll be other stuff as well. I mention it here, since I'd say most of the things (70-85%) that entertain me have a either a yuri or anime/manga connection. (Note: Because I'm a lazy bastard, some of the above appears in my KS entry there.)
          Anyway here's the URL if anyone is interested http://albikal.blogspot.com
        • qa9999aq
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
            > P.S. I've started another blog, because I needed another place to
            > write my thoughts down that nobody will read and I'll hardly
            > update. ;)

            So I went to read it...hit the back button...and there are all these
            zebra sorta stripes across my retna and I can't see a freakin' thing...

            White text on black...whudda thunk it would hurt this much?
            =__= Thanks for the link, I think.

            This'll go away, right?
          • Chalcahuite
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
              On Jan 3, 2006, at 11:13 PM, qa9999aq wrote:

              P.S. I've started another blog, because I needed another place to
              write my thoughts down that nobody will read and I'll hardly
              update. ;)

              So I went to read it...hit the back button...and there are all these
              zebra sorta stripes across my retna and I can't see a freakin' thing...

              White text on black...whudda thunk it would hurt this much?
                =__= Thanks for the link, I think.

              This'll go away, right?

              A shot or two of Wild Turkey ought to clear that right up. ;)

              I like like the white on black layout, because black is the color of my soul. ;) I'll change it to something more normal if I get enough complaints.
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006

                > Have I said Happy New Year to everyone? No, well, Happy New Year to
                > everyone!!

                And to you!

                > Anyway, here's some thoughts on this old series we finally got around
                > to watching:
                > Anna and Mia definitely strike me as a couple. Donna, who doesn't
                > wear the yuri goggles, well, at all really, started referring to them
                > as "the lesbians" about halfway through. So, there's clearly
                > something going on there. :-D

                I think it's episode 42 or 43 when the policeman and his girlfriend
                have a public romantic moment. Ken stares wetly at Sora and behind
                Sora's head Anna and Mia lock eyes and google at each other.

                I've never had any doubt about them. :-)

                > I would SO pay money to see any of the Kaleido shows live.

                Any show with Sora and Layla in it, definitely.

                > I keep thinking of
                > how half of the Olympic figure skating pairs end marrying each other,
                > as a sort of template or guide to how a Sora/Layla relationship might
                > develop.
                >
                > More after we get disk 6 in and start on New Wings.

                One or two good moment,s but when you get through the series and watch
                the OVAs, do be sure to watch Legend of Phoenix, Layla Hamilton
                Monogatari, which is FINALLY the episode you'll have been waiting for.
                It's unsubbed at the moment, but so good it made my "best of" anime
                list for 2005 on Okazu. :-)

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006

                  > On Jan 3, 2006, at 11:13 PM, qa9999aq wrote:

                  > I like like the white on black layout, because black is the color of
                  > my soul. ;) I'll change it to something more normal if I get enough
                  > complaints.

                  Take pity on my poor 40-year-old eyes!

                  As my eye doctor actually said the last time I saw him, "You were
                  meant to use them for hunting, not staring at a computer for 14 hours
                  a day."

                • kun
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006
                    >> I like like the white on black layout, because black is the color of
                    >> my soul. ;) I'll change it to something more normal if I get enough
                    >> complaints.
                    >
                    > Take pity on my poor 40-year-old eyes!
                    >
                    > As my eye doctor actually said the last time I saw him, "You were
                    > meant to use them for hunting, not staring at a computer for 14 hours
                    > a day."

                    Well, -I- like it Serge =^.^=

                    Kelli
                  • qa9999aq
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006
                      > > Take pity on my poor 40-year-old eyes!
                      > >

                      > Well, -I- like it Serge =^.^=
                      >
                      > Kelli

                      She's only saying that because the Lasik is wearing off and she's
                      hoping to snowball us.
                      Kelli and her 25 year-old-eyes. Feh.