Kaleido Star

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 28, 2003
      The Yuri Kokoro Blog has reported its list of 2003's most yuri anime.
      None of the entries were surprising - we've discussed them all here at
      one time or another, but...I came across this series listed and
      couldn't remember anyone mentioning it.

      Kaleido Star is basically "Aim for the Ace" in a Cirque de Soleil
      setting. The heroine, Sora, has a dream to perform on the Kaleido
      Stage, and so, of course, misses the auditions. But the owner sees
      some hidden potential in her and hires her anyway. She pushes herself
      hard, despite the owner's passive-agressive training, and is rewarded
      with...the presence of the "Spirit of the Stage" a perverted,
      harlequin-esque doll thing that is, of course invisible to everyone
      else, voiced by Koyasu Takehito (Touga's voice in Utena.)

      I'm three episodes into this series and already heartily tired of the
      Spirit.

      The deal is, Sora has been picked by the Stage itself to one day
      perform some wonderful trick that no one else has ever done. Yawn.

      The yuri componenet seems to reside in Sora's friends in the show -
      Anna and Mai. Anna is a butchy, cool girl, whose father is a stage
      comedian. She wants clown roles, but never seems to get them. She's
      not that funny, anyway. Her particular friend is Mai, a cute, genki
      girl-type girl. Initially they, along with the entire cast trash Sora
      for being the owner's favorite, but come around when they see how hard
      she works.

      I'm going to try and watch this as long as I can, but no promises!

      Looking for yuri manga where the girl gets the girl? ALC Publishing
      has what you want!
      http://www.yuricon.org/goodies.htm

    • Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 29, 2003
        On Dec 28, 2003, at 10:34 PM, atheniag wrote:

        > The Yuri Kokoro Blog has reported its list of 2003's most yuri anime.
        > None of the entries were surprising - we've discussed them all here at
        > one time or another, but...I came across this series listed and
        > couldn't remember anyone mentioning it.
        >
        > Kaleido Star is basically "Aim for the Ace" in a Cirque de Soleil
        > setting.

        The last issue of Newtype-USA had a write up on this series, and I
        thought at the time, it might have potential, but I was so not
        interested in the series after reading the write up, that I promptly
        put it out of my head.

        -==-
        Serge
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 29, 2003
          From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

          > > Kaleido Star is basically "Aim for the Ace" in a Cirque de Soleil
          > > setting.
          >
          >The last issue of Newtype-USA had a write up on this series, and I
          >thought at the time, it might have potential, but I was so not
          >interested in the series after reading the write up, that I promptly
          >put it out of my head.

          I think it's fair to say that Newtype will never really be "pro" any girly
          series. It's a fairly strictly guy-oriented magazine. Kaleido Star is a girl
          series - no guy in his right mind would watch it. And there's nothing
          exceptional about the story or characters to cross that boundary. It's not a
          really shoujo series, it's a lame shoujo/action/magical girl hybrid. I can't
          see why the wonks at Newtype would have anything nice to say about it,
          really, when I can't find much to recommend it.

          On the whole, I would never use Newtype reviews, though, to judge an anime
          aimed at girls. Even if they do cover Marimite, it'll be for the shoujoai
          art/imagery...they won't be talking up the story. :-)

          Take advantage of our limited-time introductory offer for dial-up Internet
          access. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 29, 2003
            On Dec 29, 2003, at 2:18 PM, Erica Friedman wrote:
            > From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
            >
            >>> Kaleido Star is basically "Aim for the Ace" in a Cirque de Soleil
            >>> setting.
            >>
            >> The last issue of Newtype-USA had a write up on this series, and I
            >> thought at the time, it might have potential, but I was so not
            >> interested in the series after reading the write up, that I promptly
            >> put it out of my head.
            >
            > I think it's fair to say that Newtype will never really be "pro" any
            > girly
            > series. It's a fairly strictly guy-oriented magazine. Kaleido Star is
            > a girl
            > series - no guy in his right mind would watch it. And there's nothing
            > exceptional about the story or characters to cross that boundary. It's
            > not a
            > really shoujo series, it's a lame shoujo/action/magical girl hybrid. I
            > can't
            > see why the wonks at Newtype would have anything nice to say about it,
            > really, when I can't find much to recommend it.

            I can't remember the article at all, I just remember that it sounded
            cliche and lame, and the character designs didn't really stand out, so
            there was very little impetus for me to check it out. And I figured
            somebody would have mentioned on list if there was any yuri or
            shoujo-ai elements way before now, so I thought that I wasn't missing
            much.

            > On the whole, I would never use Newtype reviews, though, to judge an
            > anime
            > aimed at girls. Even if they do cover Marimite, it'll be for the
            > shoujoai
            > art/imagery...they won't be talking up the story. :-)

            Eh, I usually just look at the pretty pictures anyway. ;) It's the
            anti-Playboy excuse, really.

            -==-
            Serge
          • Chalcahuite
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
              Have I said Happy New Year to everyone? No, well, Happy New Year to everyone!!

              So the Donna and I started watching Kaleido Star over the last couple of days. Rentanime.com just added a 5 disk service, I upgraded, and the first 5 discs arrived shortly thereafter.
              Totally sucked us both in, and now I've got to wait a week for disk 6, since Rentanime.com is just a single location in Florida and doesn't have the local distribution centers Netflix has. Oh well.

              Anyway, here's some thoughts on this old series we finally got around to watching:
              Anna and Mia definitely strike me as a couple. Donna, who doesn't wear the yuri goggles, well, at all really, started referring to them as "the lesbians" about halfway through. So, there's clearly something going on there. :-D
              Koyasu Takehito is forever doomed to be Touga from Utena in my mind. Every character he plays is a just a variation on that cool red-haired bastard. Having said that, Donna liked the Fool, but then again she has a thing for perverted older men who occasionally say something wise and helpful. ;)
              I would SO pay money to see any of the Kaleido shows live. Layla and Sora's swordfight on the burning, swinging ship tightrope FTW.
              Layla's and Sora's rivarly/partnership has an intensity that I can only describe as HAWT!! once it gets going in earnest about half way through the first series. I'm quite sure all they need is a little too much wine and they'd be all over each other faster than either of them could say "take me."  Clearly, there's a need for each other percolating below the surface, but the opportunities don't seem to be there to develop it into a romantic relationship, and their only outlet for that seems to be performing together. I keep thinking of how half of the Olympic figure skating pairs end marrying each other, as a sort of template or guide to how a Sora/Layla relationship might develop.

              More after we get disk 6 in and start on New Wings.

              P.S. I've started another blog, because I needed another place to write my thoughts down that nobody will read and I'll hardly update. ;) This is one will mainly be pop culture related, anime in particular, but there'll be other stuff as well. I mention it here, since I'd say most of the things (70-85%) that entertain me have a either a yuri or anime/manga connection. (Note: Because I'm a lazy bastard, some of the above appears in my KS entry there.)
              Anyway here's the URL if anyone is interested http://albikal.blogspot.com
            • qa9999aq
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
                > P.S. I've started another blog, because I needed another place to
                > write my thoughts down that nobody will read and I'll hardly
                > update. ;)

                So I went to read it...hit the back button...and there are all these
                zebra sorta stripes across my retna and I can't see a freakin' thing...

                White text on black...whudda thunk it would hurt this much?
                =__= Thanks for the link, I think.

                This'll go away, right?
              • Chalcahuite
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
                  On Jan 3, 2006, at 11:13 PM, qa9999aq wrote:

                  P.S. I've started another blog, because I needed another place to
                  write my thoughts down that nobody will read and I'll hardly
                  update. ;)

                  So I went to read it...hit the back button...and there are all these
                  zebra sorta stripes across my retna and I can't see a freakin' thing...

                  White text on black...whudda thunk it would hurt this much?
                    =__= Thanks for the link, I think.

                  This'll go away, right?

                  A shot or two of Wild Turkey ought to clear that right up. ;)

                  I like like the white on black layout, because black is the color of my soul. ;) I'll change it to something more normal if I get enough complaints.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006

                    > Have I said Happy New Year to everyone? No, well, Happy New Year to
                    > everyone!!

                    And to you!

                    > Anyway, here's some thoughts on this old series we finally got around
                    > to watching:
                    > Anna and Mia definitely strike me as a couple. Donna, who doesn't
                    > wear the yuri goggles, well, at all really, started referring to them
                    > as "the lesbians" about halfway through. So, there's clearly
                    > something going on there. :-D

                    I think it's episode 42 or 43 when the policeman and his girlfriend
                    have a public romantic moment. Ken stares wetly at Sora and behind
                    Sora's head Anna and Mia lock eyes and google at each other.

                    I've never had any doubt about them. :-)

                    > I would SO pay money to see any of the Kaleido shows live.

                    Any show with Sora and Layla in it, definitely.

                    > I keep thinking of
                    > how half of the Olympic figure skating pairs end marrying each other,
                    > as a sort of template or guide to how a Sora/Layla relationship might
                    > develop.
                    >
                    > More after we get disk 6 in and start on New Wings.

                    One or two good moment,s but when you get through the series and watch
                    the OVAs, do be sure to watch Legend of Phoenix, Layla Hamilton
                    Monogatari, which is FINALLY the episode you'll have been waiting for.
                    It's unsubbed at the moment, but so good it made my "best of" anime
                    list for 2005 on Okazu. :-)

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006

                      > On Jan 3, 2006, at 11:13 PM, qa9999aq wrote:

                      > I like like the white on black layout, because black is the color of
                      > my soul. ;) I'll change it to something more normal if I get enough
                      > complaints.

                      Take pity on my poor 40-year-old eyes!

                      As my eye doctor actually said the last time I saw him, "You were
                      meant to use them for hunting, not staring at a computer for 14 hours
                      a day."

                    • kun
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006
                        >> I like like the white on black layout, because black is the color of
                        >> my soul. ;) I'll change it to something more normal if I get enough
                        >> complaints.
                        >
                        > Take pity on my poor 40-year-old eyes!
                        >
                        > As my eye doctor actually said the last time I saw him, "You were
                        > meant to use them for hunting, not staring at a computer for 14 hours
                        > a day."

                        Well, -I- like it Serge =^.^=

                        Kelli
                      • qa9999aq
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006
                          > > Take pity on my poor 40-year-old eyes!
                          > >

                          > Well, -I- like it Serge =^.^=
                          >
                          > Kelli

                          She's only saying that because the Lasik is wearing off and she's
                          hoping to snowball us.
                          Kelli and her 25 year-old-eyes. Feh.