Re: Live in Japan?

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, KathrynDarkStar@a... wrote:

      > Wow...my dad actually wants to take me on a trip to Japan. The
      reason? To buy
      > cool cosplaying stuff, of course! But...he would feel better if I
      knew
      > someone who lived in Japan, so do any of you? I need to know the
      customs, laws,
      > etc., etc.

      Customs don't really apply - you're just a tourist and a foreigner.
      But there are many, many good books on traveling in Japan. Go to a
      local bookstore and check the travel section.

      Laws? What kind of laws? Like about buying stuff? Unless you plan on
      purchasing thousands of dollars of anything, there's no law that is
      going to affect you. I packed all my hundreds of dollars of doujinshi
      and manga and toys in my luggage and took it home. No problem. If
      something is very large or heavy, you can ship it home.

      Other than that, what kinds of laws are you concerned with? Are you
      planning on murdering someone? :-)

      A good place to begin is your local library - the librarians there can
      help you find books about travel to and around Japan.

    • KathrynDarkStar@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2003
        whee! Erica responded! -=hearts float around head=-

        Random person:
        -=comes up and slaps Kitty-kat=-

        x.x;; um..sorry about that. Anyway, yeah, it hadn't occurred to me to check the library. >_>;; But the laws I was talking about were like...I heard you can't chew gum in public, etc. o.o; Weird law, but I heard it's a very clean country. ^____^ Well, after the snow clears, I'll walk to the library. I may as well get out some fiction while I'm there. :D

        ~Kitty-kat

        WHEEEEE I'M GOING TO JAPAN! -=heart attack=-
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2003
          >From: KathrynDarkStar@...

          >x.x;; um..sorry about that. Anyway, yeah, it hadn't occurred to me to check
          >the library. >_>;; But the laws I was talking about were like...I heard you
          >can't chew gum in public, etc. o.o;

          That's Singapore.

          In Japan, if you conduct yourself like a polite member of society, you will
          still be considered a foreigner and tourist, but a well-trained one. Aim for
          that and you'll be fine.

          And use the word "sumimasen" alot.

          >Weird law, but I heard it's a very clean
          >country. ^____^

          Get a travel book - it'll help.

          Tired of slow downloads and busy signals? Get a high-speed Internet
          connection! Comparison-shop your local high-speed providers here.
          https://broadband.msn.com