Re: [Yuricon] Digest Number 942

  • Renee
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2003
      Aim for the Ace..I'll have to give that one a try...thanks! Sorry for not being around...2 jobs till the end of the holidays, and I am starting back school abd may soon have a permanent second job....X_X Hugs to all*

      Yuricon@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/cGIolB/TM

      There are 6 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: New file uploaded to Yuricon
      From: "Shannon J. L."
      2. Re: Read or Dream the TV, Ep. 11 - Speculation ahoy!
      From: "atheniag"
      3. Aim for the Ace!
      From: "atheniag"
      4. Re: Aim for the Ace!
      From: "the_judy_justice"
      5. Another occasional Friday night TV lesbian report - OT, really
      From: "atheniag"
      6. Re: Another occasional Friday night TV lesbian report - OT, really
      From: "shenotski"

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:11:50 -0000
      From: "Shannon J. L."
      Subject: Re: New file uploaded to Yuricon

      That is so cool.. thank you!

      Shane :)

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:06:39 -0000
      From: "atheniag"
      Subject: Re: Read or Dream the TV, Ep. 11 - Speculation ahoy!

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Marcus Fong" wrote:

      > There's one other parallel - the glasses.

      I thought of that last night, when I remembered Anita picking them up.

      > Fast-forward four years and Nenene is wearing them. If Yomiko left
      > them behind intentionally, that seems to suggest one of two things:
      >
      > 1) She's over losing Donnie, and thus the glasses are no longer that
      > important to her.

      > 2) The glasses are still very important to her, but she chose to
      leave
      > them with Nenene... hmm, I wonder what that could mean? ^_~

      Naturally, we're all pulling for the second option. :-)

      Message: 3
      Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:25:34 -0000
      From: "atheniag"
      Subject: Aim for the Ace!

      I finally had a chance to watch the first episode of this classic
      anime and I can barely stop laughing. It's all so wonderfully
      melodramatic.

      Ace wo nerae, (Aim for the Ace) was done in the early 70's, based on a
      manga of the same name by Yamomoto Sumika. Briefly, it's Oniisama E on
      tennis. :-)

      The character designs are stongly reminiscent of Ikeda Riyoko's
      Oniisama E characters and the situations aren't dissimilar, but Ace wo
      Nerae came first, I'm pretty sure.

      The story follows first-year high school student Oka Hiromi, as she
      joins the girl's tennis team at high school, mostly to stand and gape
      adoringly at ace Ryuzaki Reika, star 11th grader. She's not alone -
      most of the other beginners are there to do the same thing.

      Inexplicably (to us, the audience, at least) the new coach names
      Hiromi to the varsity team, setting up high melodrama and emotional
      outbursts, plus plenty of behind-the-back rummor-mongering and hurtful
      teasing.

      The hero-worship Hiromi has for Ryuzaki (called Ochoufujin) is right
      on that borderline that we tend to read as a crush, but the emotional
      implications of her being named to varsity change everything for her.

      It's been fansubbed by the Technogirls forever, but now someone is
      making digisubs, and putting them on Bittorrent. Or, if you have
      Streamload, you can get them that way, too.

      For high shoujo(ai)drama, Aim for the Ace is charmingly classic.

      Message: 4
      Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 00:51:58 -0000
      From: "the_judy_justice"
      Subject: Re: Aim for the Ace!

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" wrote:
      > I finally had a chance to watch the first episode of this classic
      > anime and I can barely stop laughing. It's all so wonderfully
      > melodramatic.
      >
      > Ace wo nerae, (Aim for the Ace) was done in the early 70's, based
      on a
      > manga of the same name by Yamomoto Sumika. Briefly, it's Oniisama
      E on
      > tennis. :-)

      Erica...

      You have no idea how nostalgic you got me there. All of a sudden,
      you brought me back to my late pre-teen years when I saw that show
      on tv.
      Of course, it was french dubbed and most certainly cut but still.
      I feel like, for example,that MugenH. who never got to see all the
      Animes that I saw when I was young (Versailles No Bara, Onii Sama E,
      Ace wo nerae, Cutey Honey, Captain Harlock, Saint Seya, ... )...
      Well, I feel like she's missing a lot of references made in more
      recent Animes as SKU, Hand Maid May and many many others.

      > The character designs are stongly reminiscent of Ikeda Riyoko's
      > Oniisama E characters and the situations aren't dissimilar, but
      Ace wo
      > Nerae came first, I'm pretty sure.

      Yes, it was made first.

      > The story follows first-year high school student Oka Hiromi, as
      she
      > joins the girl's tennis team at high school, mostly to stand and
      gape
      > adoringly at ace Ryuzaki Reika, star 11th grader. She's not alone -

      > most of the other beginners are there to do the same thing.
      >
      > Inexplicably (to us, the audience, at least) the new coach names
      > Hiromi to the varsity team, setting up high melodrama and
      emotional
      > outbursts, plus plenty of behind-the-back rummor-mongering and
      hurtful
      > teasing.
      >
      > The hero-worship Hiromi has for Ryuzaki (called Ochoufujin) is
      right
      > on that borderline that we tend to read as a crush, but the
      emotional
      > implications of her being named to varsity change everything for
      her.

      > It's been fansubbed by the Technogirls forever, but now someone is
      > making digisubs, and putting them on Bittorrent. Or, if you have
      > Streamload, you can get them that way, too.

      How wow.. I need to get a hand on it!

      > For high shoujo(ai)drama, Aim for the Ace is charmingly classic.

      Agreed.

      I love the still shots. So much.

      -Judy

      Message: 5
      Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 06:02:21 -0000
      From: "atheniag"
      Subject: Another occasional Friday night TV lesbian report - OT, really

      For some reason, Friday night seems to be the big TV night for
      lesbianism, I don't pretend to know why. Apparently TV networks think
      that Friday nights after 10PM, the only one watching TV is me. LOL

      First, on "Karen Cisco," at the end of an episode she was basically
      propostioned by her female friend, a police sergeant. To her credit,
      Karen looked interigued for a moment, before she demurred.

      But, the money shot was on a wretched show called "The 5th Wheel".
      It's a grotesque dating game where they take two couples (who seem to
      be barely coupled) and introduce a 5th person, then set them all up on
      a date and see who ends up with whom.

      In this case, the 5th wheel was a very self-absorbed girl who
      monopolized some guy and then decided she rather be with anyone else.

      But the two coupled girls were a scream. Upon seeing the new girl's
      picture, one guy said she was cute, but one woman said tat she wasn't
      as cute as the other woman.

      And so, ultimately, after one of the saddest half hours of "dating"
      ever televised, the two guys and the third girl all ended up dumped,
      while Susan and Tina went off together, looking like they were
      relieved to be rid of the others.

      It was a grim look at relationships, but at nearly 2AM, I thought it
      was pretty hysterical. :-)

      Message: 6
      Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 06:32:55 -0000
      From: "shenotski"

      It would have been great if the show had ended with this line.
      "Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listen to it. I award
      you no points and may god have mercy on your soul"
      > It was a grim look at relationships, but at nearly 2AM, I thought
      it
      > was pretty hysterical. :-)

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now