Dreaming of Another Day completed

  • Kathryn Williams
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 19, 2003
      Konban wa minna,

      A few years back I posted the beginings of a story here, Actually Erica
      helped me with editing that introduction. During Yuricon a few of you asked
      if I'd ever finish what I started back then. It has taken me 2 years to cope
      with what I'd begun and over the past week I've been typeing around 12 hours
      a day trying to get those emotional onto paper. It hasn't been easy and at
      times I wonder how Erica can write so much. I've never felt so emotionaly
      drained by a story before. 60 pages and a weeks time later I've finished
      what I started 2 years ago. Thought since many of you here have bugged me to
      finish you'd like to read it now that the tale is complete. You can find it
      here:

      http://www.katandnekomanga.ca/Dreaming.html

      I'd like to say Enjoy but I don't feel that is very appropriate considering
      the story.

      Jaa

      A very tired Kat
    • Clarissa C. S. Ryan
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 7, 2003
        so, anyone besides Erica (thank you!) written or read any papers on
        lesbian themes in Japanese pop culture? I'm particularly interested in
        women/girl-oriented pop culture like magazines, shoujo/josei/reidisu
        manga, Takarazuka, dorama, etc.

        I haven't seen anything about dorama anywhere. I suppose I should try
        mining OCLC/MUSE/J-STOR, etc. again. In the last season of "Kinpachi
        Sensei," there was a genetically female student named Nao who identified
        as male. In the episodes I saw s/he never expressed any attraction to
        female students, but (end academic talk, start yuri fangirl mode) GOD IS
        THAT ACTRESS HOT AS A "BOY!". Ahem. It's some pop star--I have the name at
        home. Anyway, I have no idea what "Kinpachi Sensei"'s target audience was.
        I recommend it if you ever get a chance to see it--it feels very shoujo
        manga and it's very melodramatic (in a good way, I thought). I cried
        repeatedly in the last season. It ran for a /long/ time on Japanese TV
        (here it showed in the NHK block on the international channel, but it and
        "Churasan" have been replaced by the far inferior "Sakura" and the
        technology propoganda/documentary "Project X" segment).

        (By the way, I'd do almost anything for tapes, DVDs, or files of the
        subtitled "Kinpachi Sensei," any season.)

        --
        Clarissa Cates-Smith Ryan
        claris@...
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 7, 2003
          >From: "Clarissa C. S. Ryan" <claris@...>

          >so, anyone besides Erica (thank you!) written or read any papers on
          >lesbian themes in Japanese pop culture? I'm particularly interested in
          >women/girl-oriented pop culture like magazines, shoujo/josei/reidisu
          >manga, Takarazuka, dorama, etc.

          Well, there's always Jennifer Robertson's stuff on Takarazuka. She discusses
          the gender issues and politics, but stays pretty safe...not least because
          the Takarazuka organization is REALLY strict on what is written about them.

          I learned that there is at least one real Takarazuka couple (Emi...I know
          you're reading this. Can you remember the names of the women? I can't) but I
          have completely failed to find anything written about the repercussions.

          Yuuki Hirano wrote a paper about yuri in "Ladies" comics that she presented
          at Yuricon. I haven't seen it in print, but I bet it's available somehwere.
          She was specifically dealing with "Mist" magazine, a work which found to be
          thoroughly delightful in its campiness. The stories are pretty much hardcore
          pron, with the barest of conflicts or character development, but at least
          three hot scenes in each story. :-)

          >I haven't seen anything about dorama anywhere.

          Agreed. I'd love to read a paper about gender politics in "Shomuni." LOL

          I suppose I should try
          >mining OCLC/MUSE/J-STOR, etc. again. In the last season of "Kinpachi
          >Sensei," there was a genetically female student named Nao who identified
          >as male. In the episodes I saw s/he never expressed any attraction to
          >female students, but (end academic talk, start yuri fangirl mode) GOD IS
          >THAT ACTRESS HOT AS A "BOY!".

          LOL Once again, this reminds me of Takarazuka. I was screening the most
          recent production of "Rose of Versailles," while my wife made up lyrics to
          the music (mostly about Oscar not being able to put her arm down....you had
          to see it to understand...) and then Fersen walked onto the stage and all o
          a sudden I understood Takarazuka alot better, you know? LOL God, is Kei Aran
          hot as Fersen....

          Ahem. It's some pop star--I have the name at
          >home.

          Aya Ueto.

          Don't look at me like that - I'm a researcher for a living!

          Anyway, I have no idea what "Kinpachi Sensei"'s target audience was.
          >I recommend it if you ever get a chance to see it--it feels very shoujo
          >manga and it's very melodramatic (in a good way, I thought). I cried
          >repeatedly in the last season. It ran for a /long/ time on Japanese TV
          >(here it showed in the NHK block on the international channel, but it and
          >"Churasan" have been replaced by the far inferior "Sakura" and the
          >technology propoganda/documentary "Project X" segment).

          I'll keep an eye out. :-)

          >(By the way, I'd do almost anything for tapes, DVDs, or files of the
          >subtitled "Kinpachi Sensei," any season.)

          Note to self..."almost anything..." Hmmm - I could use the house power
          washed. ;-)

          Here's a couple of sites that claim to do trades:
          http://www.pe.net/~gojira/drama.htm#kinpachi
          http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4718/jdtcmem.htm

          They could be defunct for all I know, though.

          Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $26.95.
        • Clarissa C. S. Ryan
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 14, 2003
            Just so you know. *G*
            http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/aze/anime/juri/galerie.html

            I think it's that hair.

            Must get second job...buy all Utena DVDs...

            --
            Clarissa Cates-Smith Ryan
            claris@...
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 15, 2003
              >From: "Clarissa C. S. Ryan" <claris@...>

              >Just so you know. *G*
              >http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/aze/anime/juri/galerie.html
              >
              >I think it's that hair.

              Juri is totally cool, but my heart will always go to Haruka. It's her fault
              that I'm into anime at all!
              http://members.fortunecity.com/bunnychiba/haruka.html

              And it's the voice. LOL

              Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account is over
              limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
            • Clarissa C. S. Ryan
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 15, 2003
                On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Erica Friedman wrote:

                > >From: "Clarissa C. S. Ryan" <claris@...>
                >

                > >Just so you know. *G*
                > >http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/aze/anime/juri/galerie.html
                > >
                > >I think it's that hair.
                >

                > Juri is totally cool, but my heart will always go to Haruka. It's her fault
                > that I'm into anime at all!
                > http://members.fortunecity.com/bunnychiba/haruka.html
                >
                > And it's the voice. LOL

                Oh, I have a ton of other crushes--St. Juste, Urd, Sailor Mars (although I
                haven't actually read any SM manga), etc. *G* I should mmake a list
                someday.

                --
                Claris
                http://www.sharedwing.net/
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 15, 2003
                  In a message dated 11/15/2003 2:21:28 PM Central Standard Time, alecto_fury@... writes:
                  Juri is totally cool, but my heart will always go to Haruka. It's her fault
                  that I'm into anime at all!
                  Oh no, it's Ryoko all the way!

                  Rose
                • Kitsune
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 15, 2003
                    Juri and Rei are mine *huggles both close to her* ever since I saw them, heard their voice *sighs*

                    "Clarissa C. S. Ryan" <claris@...> wrote:
                    Just so you know. *G*
                    http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/aze/anime/juri/galerie.html

                    I think it's that hair.

                    Must get second job...buy all Utena DVDs...

                    --
                    Clarissa Cates-Smith Ryan
                    claris@...
                    http://www.sharedwing.net/

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • Clarissa C. S. Ryan
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 16, 2003
                      Argh! There's going to be a Comic Market in Tokyo on Dec 28-30? I'll be
                      Kyoto!

                      So close, yet ...

                      --
                      Clarissa Cates-Smith Ryan
                      claris@...
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 16, 2003
                        >From: "Clarissa C. S. Ryan" <claris@...>

                        >Argh! There's going to be a Comic Market in Tokyo on Dec 28-30? I'll be
                        >Kyoto!
                        >
                        >So close, yet ...

                        Take the train in for the Sunday day - it's when all the yuri artists are
                        there. :-)

                        If I understand correctly, there's two annually - one at the end of August
                        and one after Xmas.

                        MSN Shopping upgraded for the holidays! Snappier product search...
                        http://shopping.msn.com
                      • Clarissa C. S. Ryan
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 19, 2003
                          Anyone want to try putting together a yuri (and/or
                          shouoj/jousei/reidisu/yaoi/shounen-ai) panel for the
                          Columbia EAS grad student conference?

                          http://www.columbia.edu/cu/ealac/gradconf/

                          I guess I need 2-3 more people. Anyone? Anyone?

                          --
                          Clarissa Cates-Smith Ryan
                          claris@...
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 19, 2003
                            Clarissa,

                            I am applying to grad programs, if that helps. I have spoken/lectured at
                            quite a few cons.

                            My expertise lies in Shoujo and Josei, with some theory on yuri and yaoi.
                            Email me at dillon@... if you would like to discuss this more.
                            I'm in the relative area, so I should be able to attend.

                            If me not being an actual grad student isn't a major negative, that is.
                            Cheers
                            -Dillon
                            > Anyone want to try putting together a yuri (and/or
                            > shouoj/jousei/reidisu/yaoi/shounen-ai) panel for the
                            > Columbia EAS grad student conference?
                            >
                            > http://www.columbia.edu/cu/ealac/gradconf/
                            >
                            > I guess I need 2-3 more people. Anyone? Anyone?
                            >
                            > --
                            > Clarissa Cates-Smith Ryan
                            > claris@...
                            > http://www.sharedwing.net/
                            > --

                          • Gina D
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 19, 2003
                              >From: "Clarissa C. S. Ryan" <claris@...>

                              >Anyone want to try putting together a yuri (and/or
                              >shouoj/jousei/reidisu/yaoi/shounen-ai) panel for the
                              >Columbia EAS grad student conference?
                              >
                              >http://www.columbia.edu/cu/ealac/gradconf/
                              >
                              >I guess I need 2-3 more people. Anyone? Anyone?

                              For the question in the subject line, I'm a grad student. For the real
                              question, Colombia = sooooo not in my travel range.

                              kage-kun
                              "ookami wa ookami"

                              Groove on the latest from the hot new rock groups! Get downloads, videos,
                              and more here. http://special.msn.com/entertainment/wiredformusic.armx
                            • Clarissa C. S. Ryan
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 19, 2003
                                Aw, but tickets to New York are cheap on Jet Blue if you're in the US. ;D

                                --
                                Clarissa Cates-Smith Ryan
                                claris@...
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 20, 2003
                                  >From: "Clarissa C. S. Ryan" <claris@...>

                                  >Aw, but tickets to New York are cheap on Jet Blue if you're in the US. ;D

                                  Hmmmm, only $99 each way. No, I shouldn't consider it! Anime club duties,
                                  school, and work. *Saving up for Japan trip*

                                  kage-kun
                                  "ookami wa ookami"

                                  Say �goodbye� to busy signals and slow downloads with a high-speed Internet
                                  connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average.
                                • Clarissa C. S. Ryan
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 11, 2003
                                    The Takarazuka season ends before we arrive in Japan, and starts after we
                                    leave!

                                    I know it's cheesy but I've always wanted to see it anyway :p

                                    --
                                    Clarissa Cates-Smith Ryan
                                    claris@...
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 23, 2004
                                      I bought a couple volumes of that new yuri phonebook manga. I noticed
                                      thatin a couple of stores it was placed in both the young men's and young
                                      women's sections.

                                      I missed the chance to pick up a magazine called Aya (ladies' comics, I
                                      believe) that had a Heian vampire lesbian sex scene. Stupid me. ;p

                                      Photos from the trip are gradually appearing here:

                                      http://alwayshoneymoon.livejournal.com/

                                      but don't expect any yuri content. ;D

                                      I just stumbled across http://yuri-desire.org ...

                                      --
                                      Clarissa Cates-Smith Ryan
                                      claris@...
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 23, 2004
                                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Clarissa C. S. Ryan" <claris@s...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > I bought a couple volumes of that new yuri phonebook manga. I
                                        noticed
                                        > thatin a couple of stores it was placed in both the young men's and
                                        young
                                        > women's sections.

                                        I was going to ask about that! I've seen it listed on Yahoo Japan
                                        under "Boy's Love", as well.

                                        We've got a copy of Yuri Shimai going up for auction this weekend, as
                                        a matter if fact. :-)

                                        > I missed the chance to pick up a magazine called Aya (ladies'
                                        comics, I
                                        > believe) that had a Heian vampire lesbian sex scene. Stupid me. ;p

                                        I can't believe you didn't get it for me as a souvenir! That's it, our
                                        close friendship is over. LOL

                                        > Photos from the trip are gradually appearing here:
                                        >
                                        > http://alwayshoneymoon.livejournal.com/
                                        >
                                        > but don't expect any yuri content. ;D

                                        Well, not on the *honeymoon,* duh. :-) It looks like you had fun. How
                                        was staying in the ryokan?

                                        > I just stumbled across http://yuri-desire.org ...

                                        Cute. :-)

                                      • Clarissa C. S. Ryan
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 3, 2004
                                          Have you seen the video for Utada Hikaru's "Colors"? It features two
                                          scantily-clad women embracing...I only saw a couple seconds of it, but it
                                          looked like fun. *G* (I was messing around with the video viewer at San
                                          Jose Kinokuniya today.)

                                          Clint (my husband) saw some fanart for Marimite and now really wants to
                                          see it ... too bad I can't run BitTorrent :p

                                          --
                                          Clarissa Cates-Smith Ryan
                                          claris@...