Re: [Yuricon] Animerica

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
      >From: "stellaluna_42" <stellaluna_42@...>

      >I just got the new Animerica & I have to say, "Props to you, Erica-
      >san!!!!". That was an excellently written piece & will hopefully
      >straighten out popular misconceptions about yuri/yaoi. And yay to
      >Animerica for finally getting the cojones to print it.

      I gotta say, Julie (the ed-in-chief) is one cool frood. She's not afraid of
      topical material - just concerned that it be age-appropriate.

      Way back, when I first learned of Animerica, the audience was college
      age/20-somethings, because they were the only "anime" fans out there. When
      the magazine changed its target age, alot of people blamed the then
      editor-in-chief, Trish. But you know, it wasn't the magazine that changed,
      it was the marketplace. The magazine just reflected that. I stopped reading
      it a while back, because I'm more interested in what's up and coming in
      Japan - the stuff that gets released here is already old by the time it
      comes out...but writing for the mag was a real challenge. I'm glad you
      enjoyed it.

      With luck, I'll be doing it again soon. :)

      >STELLALUNA ^_^v
      >
      >*who now knows what that Maho Tsukai Sally song on her Para Para CDs
      >is about*

      Now that's cool! :-)

      Help protect your PC: Get a free online virus scan at McAfee.com.
    • Katerina E.
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003

        > I gotta say, Julie (the ed-in-chief) is one cool frood. She's not
        afraid of
        > topical material - just concerned that it be age-appropriate.

        I finally got to see the issue tonight, and I loved the little bio bit
        for you, Erica. Especially the oh-so-true bit about screaming
        fangirls. ~.^

        > Way back, when I first learned of Animerica, the audience was college
        > age/20-somethings, because they were the only "anime" fans out
        there. When
        > the magazine changed its target age, alot of people blamed the then
        > editor-in-chief, Trish. But you know, it wasn't the magazine that
        changed,
        > it was the marketplace. The magazine just reflected that. I stopped
        reading
        > it a while back, because I'm more interested in what's up and coming in
        > Japan - the stuff that gets released here is already old by the time it
        > comes out...but writing for the mag was a real challenge. I'm glad you
        > enjoyed it.

        I liked the section with the suggestions for shoujo manga titles. The
        little disclaimer about not all titles being appropriate for all ages
        just sounded like your little "gentle reminders" here on the list. ~.^

        Katya
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Katerina E." <kate0211@a...> wrote:

          > I finally got to see the issue tonight, and I loved the little bio
          bit
          > for you, Erica. Especially the oh-so-true bit about screaming
          > fangirls. ~.^

          I was happy that they printed my bio exactly the way I wrote it, no
          edits. :-) Actually, the true bit was that my role models are
          psychotic anime lesbians.

          > I liked the section with the suggestions for shoujo manga titles.
          The
          > little disclaimer about not all titles being appropriate for all
          ages
          > just sounded like your little "gentle reminders" here on the list.
          ~.^

          Julie and I didn't agree on all of the titles - I think "Peach Girl"
          is arguably one of the worst stories ever written. :-) But since four
          of us worked on that bit, I think the variety is really good.

          Seriously, I argued for more stuff not in translation to be put on
          there, because if you really want "must-reads" then most of them
          haven't been translated. I did really insist on something about Rose
          of Versailles to be put in. I didn't write that sidebar about it, and
          you can tell, 'cause there's no mention of the new Japanese edition of
          it available. But I'm glad it was there.

          Cheers,

          Erica (who needs to think about villians...)
        • Katerina E.
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <e.l.f.@i...> wrote:

            > I was happy that they printed my bio exactly the way I wrote it, no
            > edits. :-) Actually, the true bit was that my role models are
            > psychotic anime lesbians.

            Yeah, and when I read that, I about lost it in the middle of Barnes
            and Noble right there. ^.^

            > Julie and I didn't agree on all of the titles - I think "Peach Girl"
            > is arguably one of the worst stories ever written. :-) But since four
            > of us worked on that bit, I think the variety is really good.

            I'd seen that the four of you who had been involved in the first
            article were involved in putting that list together, so I chalked up
            some of the "what???" titles to other folks, while some of them were
            very much series that I figured you had pushed for. ^.^

            > Seriously, I argued for more stuff not in translation to be put on
            > there, because if you really want "must-reads" then most of them
            > haven't been translated. I did really insist on something about Rose
            > of Versailles to be put in. I didn't write that sidebar about it, and
            > you can tell, 'cause there's no mention of the new Japanese edition of
            > it available. But I'm glad it was there.

            Heh, this is the problem when they're focusing on the stuff that is
            accessible to the average US fan, since I'd say most of us couldn't
            read the stuff that isn't translated. I am getting better at
            recognizing and understanding the spoken language, but the kana still
            is over my head.

            Katya
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Katerina E." <kate0211@a...> wrote:

              > Yeah, and when I read that, I about lost it in the middle of Barnes
              > and Noble right there. ^.^

              I'm looking forward to my parents' reactions. :-)

              > I'd seen that the four of you who had been involved in the first
              > article were involved in putting that list together, so I chalked up
              > some of the "what???" titles to other folks, while some of them were
              > very much series that I figured you had pushed for. ^.^

              Everybody's different, you know? I loather Hana Yori Dango, for
              instance - reads like a manga version iof Lifetime TV to me: hours of
              violence and abuse against our heroine, but hey, she's plucky and
              wins! It's not my schtick - I like my heroines mean and tough. But
              plenty of other people love HYD, so okay, it's a must-read, even if I
              don't care for it.

              > Heh, this is the problem when they're focusing on the stuff that is
              > accessible to the average US fan, since I'd say most of us couldn't
              > read the stuff that isn't translated. I am getting better at
              > recognizing and understanding the spoken language, but the kana
              still
              > is over my head.

              I'm exactlythe opposite - i'm doing real well with the written
              language, but listening is still major work for me.

            • kate0211@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                In a message dated 9/3/2003 2:48:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, e.l.f.@... writes:
                Everybody's different, you know? I loather Hana Yori Dango, for
                instance - reads like a manga version iof Lifetime TV to me: hours of
                violence and abuse against our heroine, but hey, she's plucky and
                wins! It's not my schtick - I like my heroines mean and tough. But
                plenty of other people love HYD, so okay, it's a must-read, even if I
                don't care for it.
                Yes, and of course there's nothing wrong with this, either.  It's only from reading something and NOT liking it that you learn what your tastes are at the OTHER end of the scale. ~.^

                > Heh, this is the problem when they're focusing on the stuff that is
                > accessible to the average US fan, since I'd say most of us couldn't
                > read the stuff that isn't translated.  I am getting better at
                > recognizing and understanding the spoken language, but the kana
                still
                > is over my head.

                I'm exactlythe opposite - i'm doing real well with the written
                language, but listening is still major work for me.
                Yeah, it's weird that I have picked up Japanese by listening, but there's just so much kana to learn, so I think my mind decided that auditory learning (despite by hearing loss) was the best route.  I can deal with alphabets that are in the 30-40 character range, but I don't know why my mind has trouble remembering more than a handful of Japanese characters.

                Katya
              • shenotski
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                  I hope no one tries to learn japanies from just anime. Oh boy, funny things
                  happen when people try that.

                • kate0211@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                    In a message dated 9/3/2003 5:18:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, duomaxwell@... writes:
                    I hope no one tries to learn japanies from just anime. Oh boy, funny things
                    happen when people try that.
                    Well, no, smarty-pants, it's not just from anime.  It's language-learning CD-ROMs reinforced and supplemented by anime.  You know...gaining an ear for the language as spoken by natives...learning through immersion.

                    BiiiiiiiiiiiiiDA! P-p

                    Katya
                  • shenotski
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                      Good, cause it's hard to not laugh when you have someone respectfully insult
                      you.

                    • kate0211@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                        In a message dated 9/3/2003 11:17:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, duomaxwell@... writes:
                        Good, cause it's hard to not laugh when you have someone respectfully insult
                        you.
                        Heh, well, Japanese would only be my fourth language, outside of my native language, that I'll have learned.  I know what works and what doesn't.

                        *still trying to erase the memory of watching telenovelas in Spanish class*

                        Katya
                      • Shannon Stricof
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 6, 2003
                          Ay dios mio, las telenovelas. My do those things suck!!! I'm so glad my Spanish teacher this year doesn't believe in them so much.

                          -Shannon Ami

                          kate0211@... wrote:
                          In a message dated 9/3/2003 11:17:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, duomaxwell@... writes:
                          Good, cause it's hard to not laugh when you have someone respectfully insult
                          you.
                          Heh, well, Japanese would only be my fourth language, outside of my native language, that I'll have learned.  I know what works and what doesn't.

                          *still trying to erase the memory of watching telenovelas in Spanish class*

                          Katya

                          Do you Yahoo!?

                        • stellaluna_42
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 8, 2003
                            Oh Dear God!!!! Is that that one made for PBS called Destinos?
                            *goes into violent convultions*
                            However, my new passion is late-night Mexican Info-mercials. They're
                            so ghetto & the breast growth ones are both ridiculous and sexy. ;)

                            STELLALUNA

                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Stricof <shanami632@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > Ay dios mio, las telenovelas. My do those things suck!!! I'm so
                            glad my Spanish teacher this year doesn't believe in them so much.

                            > -Shannon Ami
                            >
                            > kate0211@a... wrote:
                            > In a message dated 9/3/2003 11:17:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            duomaxwell@f... writes:
                            > Good, cause it's hard to not laugh when you have someone
                            respectfully insult
                            > you.
                            > Heh, well, Japanese would only be my fourth language, outside of my
                            native language, that I'll have learned. I know what works and what
                            doesn't.

                            > *still trying to erase the memory of watching telenovelas in
                            Spanish class*

                            > Katya
                            >
                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Service.

                          • Shannon Stricof
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 10, 2003
                              Yes, I was subjected to the torture of Destinos, that was one of the ones I'm talking about. I couldn't believe that they somehow managed to stretch the plot out that far, only so many people should be allowed to die in one series when their deaths are all lame.
                              We watched some other bad ones, but geez, did Destinos ever suck!

                              -Shannon Ami

                              stellaluna_42 <stellaluna_42@...> wrote:
                              Oh Dear God!!!!  Is that that one made for PBS called Destinos?
                              *goes into violent convultions*
                              However, my new passion is late-night Mexican Info-mercials. They're
                              so ghetto & the breast growth ones are both ridiculous and sexy.  ;)

                              STELLALUNA

                              Do you Yahoo!?

                            • Rogelio B. Salvane Jr.
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 10, 2003
                                hey guys.. do you have wallpapers to share?

                                ---  I gUeZz i'LL C u, wHeN u C me... --------------cOoLio--

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 10, 2003
                                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Rogelio B. Salvane Jr." <rogelios@n..
                                  .> wrote:

                                  > hey guys.. do you have wallpapers to share?

                                  Check the Files section of the Yahoogroup page http://groups.yahoo
                                  com/group/Yuricon/files

                                  There are some wallpapers folks uploaded there.