Animerica

  • stellaluna_42
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
      I just got the new Animerica & I have to say, "Props to you, Erica-
      san!!!!". That was an excellently written piece & will hopefully
      straighten out popular misconceptions about yuri/yaoi. And yay to
      Animerica for finally getting the cojones to print it.

      STELLALUNA ^_^v

      *who now knows what that Maho Tsukai Sally song on her Para Para CDs
      is about*
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
        >From: "stellaluna_42" <stellaluna_42@...>

        >I just got the new Animerica & I have to say, "Props to you, Erica-
        >san!!!!". That was an excellently written piece & will hopefully
        >straighten out popular misconceptions about yuri/yaoi. And yay to
        >Animerica for finally getting the cojones to print it.

        I gotta say, Julie (the ed-in-chief) is one cool frood. She's not afraid of
        topical material - just concerned that it be age-appropriate.

        Way back, when I first learned of Animerica, the audience was college
        age/20-somethings, because they were the only "anime" fans out there. When
        the magazine changed its target age, alot of people blamed the then
        editor-in-chief, Trish. But you know, it wasn't the magazine that changed,
        it was the marketplace. The magazine just reflected that. I stopped reading
        it a while back, because I'm more interested in what's up and coming in
        Japan - the stuff that gets released here is already old by the time it
        comes out...but writing for the mag was a real challenge. I'm glad you
        enjoyed it.

        With luck, I'll be doing it again soon. :)

        >STELLALUNA ^_^v
        >
        >*who now knows what that Maho Tsukai Sally song on her Para Para CDs
        >is about*

        Now that's cool! :-)

        Help protect your PC: Get a free online virus scan at McAfee.com.
      • Katerina E.
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003

          > I gotta say, Julie (the ed-in-chief) is one cool frood. She's not
          afraid of
          > topical material - just concerned that it be age-appropriate.

          I finally got to see the issue tonight, and I loved the little bio bit
          for you, Erica. Especially the oh-so-true bit about screaming
          fangirls. ~.^

          > Way back, when I first learned of Animerica, the audience was college
          > age/20-somethings, because they were the only "anime" fans out
          there. When
          > the magazine changed its target age, alot of people blamed the then
          > editor-in-chief, Trish. But you know, it wasn't the magazine that
          changed,
          > it was the marketplace. The magazine just reflected that. I stopped
          reading
          > it a while back, because I'm more interested in what's up and coming in
          > Japan - the stuff that gets released here is already old by the time it
          > comes out...but writing for the mag was a real challenge. I'm glad you
          > enjoyed it.

          I liked the section with the suggestions for shoujo manga titles. The
          little disclaimer about not all titles being appropriate for all ages
          just sounded like your little "gentle reminders" here on the list. ~.^

          Katya
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Katerina E." <kate0211@a...> wrote:

            > I finally got to see the issue tonight, and I loved the little bio
            bit
            > for you, Erica. Especially the oh-so-true bit about screaming
            > fangirls. ~.^

            I was happy that they printed my bio exactly the way I wrote it, no
            edits. :-) Actually, the true bit was that my role models are
            psychotic anime lesbians.

            > I liked the section with the suggestions for shoujo manga titles.
            The
            > little disclaimer about not all titles being appropriate for all
            ages
            > just sounded like your little "gentle reminders" here on the list.
            ~.^

            Julie and I didn't agree on all of the titles - I think "Peach Girl"
            is arguably one of the worst stories ever written. :-) But since four
            of us worked on that bit, I think the variety is really good.

            Seriously, I argued for more stuff not in translation to be put on
            there, because if you really want "must-reads" then most of them
            haven't been translated. I did really insist on something about Rose
            of Versailles to be put in. I didn't write that sidebar about it, and
            you can tell, 'cause there's no mention of the new Japanese edition of
            it available. But I'm glad it was there.

            Cheers,

            Erica (who needs to think about villians...)
          • Katerina E.
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <e.l.f.@i...> wrote:

              > I was happy that they printed my bio exactly the way I wrote it, no
              > edits. :-) Actually, the true bit was that my role models are
              > psychotic anime lesbians.

              Yeah, and when I read that, I about lost it in the middle of Barnes
              and Noble right there. ^.^

              > Julie and I didn't agree on all of the titles - I think "Peach Girl"
              > is arguably one of the worst stories ever written. :-) But since four
              > of us worked on that bit, I think the variety is really good.

              I'd seen that the four of you who had been involved in the first
              article were involved in putting that list together, so I chalked up
              some of the "what???" titles to other folks, while some of them were
              very much series that I figured you had pushed for. ^.^

              > Seriously, I argued for more stuff not in translation to be put on
              > there, because if you really want "must-reads" then most of them
              > haven't been translated. I did really insist on something about Rose
              > of Versailles to be put in. I didn't write that sidebar about it, and
              > you can tell, 'cause there's no mention of the new Japanese edition of
              > it available. But I'm glad it was there.

              Heh, this is the problem when they're focusing on the stuff that is
              accessible to the average US fan, since I'd say most of us couldn't
              read the stuff that isn't translated. I am getting better at
              recognizing and understanding the spoken language, but the kana still
              is over my head.

              Katya
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Katerina E." <kate0211@a...> wrote:

                > Yeah, and when I read that, I about lost it in the middle of Barnes
                > and Noble right there. ^.^

                I'm looking forward to my parents' reactions. :-)

                > I'd seen that the four of you who had been involved in the first
                > article were involved in putting that list together, so I chalked up
                > some of the "what???" titles to other folks, while some of them were
                > very much series that I figured you had pushed for. ^.^

                Everybody's different, you know? I loather Hana Yori Dango, for
                instance - reads like a manga version iof Lifetime TV to me: hours of
                violence and abuse against our heroine, but hey, she's plucky and
                wins! It's not my schtick - I like my heroines mean and tough. But
                plenty of other people love HYD, so okay, it's a must-read, even if I
                don't care for it.

                > Heh, this is the problem when they're focusing on the stuff that is
                > accessible to the average US fan, since I'd say most of us couldn't
                > read the stuff that isn't translated. I am getting better at
                > recognizing and understanding the spoken language, but the kana
                still
                > is over my head.

                I'm exactlythe opposite - i'm doing real well with the written
                language, but listening is still major work for me.

              • kate0211@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                  In a message dated 9/3/2003 2:48:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, e.l.f.@... writes:
                  Everybody's different, you know? I loather Hana Yori Dango, for
                  instance - reads like a manga version iof Lifetime TV to me: hours of
                  violence and abuse against our heroine, but hey, she's plucky and
                  wins! It's not my schtick - I like my heroines mean and tough. But
                  plenty of other people love HYD, so okay, it's a must-read, even if I
                  don't care for it.
                  Yes, and of course there's nothing wrong with this, either.  It's only from reading something and NOT liking it that you learn what your tastes are at the OTHER end of the scale. ~.^

                  > Heh, this is the problem when they're focusing on the stuff that is
                  > accessible to the average US fan, since I'd say most of us couldn't
                  > read the stuff that isn't translated.  I am getting better at
                  > recognizing and understanding the spoken language, but the kana
                  still
                  > is over my head.

                  I'm exactlythe opposite - i'm doing real well with the written
                  language, but listening is still major work for me.
                  Yeah, it's weird that I have picked up Japanese by listening, but there's just so much kana to learn, so I think my mind decided that auditory learning (despite by hearing loss) was the best route.  I can deal with alphabets that are in the 30-40 character range, but I don't know why my mind has trouble remembering more than a handful of Japanese characters.

                  Katya
                • shenotski
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                    I hope no one tries to learn japanies from just anime. Oh boy, funny things
                    happen when people try that.

                  • kate0211@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                      In a message dated 9/3/2003 5:18:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, duomaxwell@... writes:
                      I hope no one tries to learn japanies from just anime. Oh boy, funny things
                      happen when people try that.
                      Well, no, smarty-pants, it's not just from anime.  It's language-learning CD-ROMs reinforced and supplemented by anime.  You know...gaining an ear for the language as spoken by natives...learning through immersion.

                      BiiiiiiiiiiiiiDA! P-p

                      Katya
                    • shenotski
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                        Good, cause it's hard to not laugh when you have someone respectfully insult
                        you.

                      • kate0211@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                          In a message dated 9/3/2003 11:17:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, duomaxwell@... writes:
                          Good, cause it's hard to not laugh when you have someone respectfully insult
                          you.
                          Heh, well, Japanese would only be my fourth language, outside of my native language, that I'll have learned.  I know what works and what doesn't.

                          *still trying to erase the memory of watching telenovelas in Spanish class*

                          Katya
                        • Shannon Stricof
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 6, 2003
                            Ay dios mio, las telenovelas. My do those things suck!!! I'm so glad my Spanish teacher this year doesn't believe in them so much.

                            -Shannon Ami

                            kate0211@... wrote:
                            In a message dated 9/3/2003 11:17:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, duomaxwell@... writes:
                            Good, cause it's hard to not laugh when you have someone respectfully insult
                            you.
                            Heh, well, Japanese would only be my fourth language, outside of my native language, that I'll have learned.  I know what works and what doesn't.

                            *still trying to erase the memory of watching telenovelas in Spanish class*

                            Katya

                            Do you Yahoo!?

                          • stellaluna_42
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 8, 2003
                              Oh Dear God!!!! Is that that one made for PBS called Destinos?
                              *goes into violent convultions*
                              However, my new passion is late-night Mexican Info-mercials. They're
                              so ghetto & the breast growth ones are both ridiculous and sexy. ;)

                              STELLALUNA

                              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Stricof <shanami632@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > Ay dios mio, las telenovelas. My do those things suck!!! I'm so
                              glad my Spanish teacher this year doesn't believe in them so much.

                              > -Shannon Ami
                              >
                              > kate0211@a... wrote:
                              > In a message dated 9/3/2003 11:17:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                              duomaxwell@f... writes:
                              > Good, cause it's hard to not laugh when you have someone
                              respectfully insult
                              > you.
                              > Heh, well, Japanese would only be my fourth language, outside of my
                              native language, that I'll have learned. I know what works and what
                              doesn't.

                              > *still trying to erase the memory of watching telenovelas in
                              Spanish class*

                              > Katya
                              >
                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              Service.

                            • Shannon Stricof
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 10, 2003
                                Yes, I was subjected to the torture of Destinos, that was one of the ones I'm talking about. I couldn't believe that they somehow managed to stretch the plot out that far, only so many people should be allowed to die in one series when their deaths are all lame.
                                We watched some other bad ones, but geez, did Destinos ever suck!

                                -Shannon Ami

                                stellaluna_42 <stellaluna_42@...> wrote:
                                Oh Dear God!!!!  Is that that one made for PBS called Destinos?
                                *goes into violent convultions*
                                However, my new passion is late-night Mexican Info-mercials. They're
                                so ghetto & the breast growth ones are both ridiculous and sexy.  ;)

                                STELLALUNA

                                Do you Yahoo!?

                              • Rogelio B. Salvane Jr.
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 10, 2003
                                  hey guys.. do you have wallpapers to share?

                                  ---  I gUeZz i'LL C u, wHeN u C me... --------------cOoLio--

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 10, 2003
                                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Rogelio B. Salvane Jr." <rogelios@n..
                                    .> wrote:

                                    > hey guys.. do you have wallpapers to share?

                                    Check the Files section of the Yahoogroup page http://groups.yahoo
                                    com/group/Yuricon/files

                                    There are some wallpapers folks uploaded there.