Re: What are people watching? (Updated)

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2003
      > I thought I'd revisit this topic after about a month and see what's changed.
      >
      > I'm still watching Airmaster, and eagerly anticipating each new episode.

      Ditto. I've gone two days without a fix and I'm going through withdrawal. Need more manga to tide me over....

      > I'm still watching Scrapped Princess and I'm surprised we've gone this late
      > into con season without this title being licensed. But, with the BAAF coming
      > up, I'm sure that will soon be rectified and I'll be waiting a year to see
      > how this series ends. <sigh> So, if you haven't checked it out yet, I highly
      > recommend doing so soon.

      I'll take it under consideration.

      > I've now seen 6 episodes of Onegai Twins.

      Ugh. Better you than me.

      > I've seen 19 episodes of Rose of Versailles and this is now one of my
      > favorites. Hopefully, the fansub group doing this will start releasing the
      > rest of the episodes soon, so I can finish this series.

      There's an old fansub that is complete. I've had it for several years. The end was really well done and obviously suited to a Takarazuka show.

      The only thing I really like about
      > this series, fanservice doesn't really count, is one of Hakufu's rivals is
      > this borderline sociopathic, eye-patch sporting, maid outfit wearing,
      > dominatrix with a mean streak. I'm jealous that I didn't think of that
      > first, she'd would have fit right in with our LARP.

      Oh my god. That sounds so awful it might be worth watching. LOL

      > At Erica's recommendation I've started watching Ebichu. And Erica continues
      > to bat .1000 for me.

      Check's in the mail, S. ;-)

      > I've also started watching Kanon, and I've been meaning to check it out for
      > a while, since Kat mentioned she started watching it a while ago and Fred
      > Gallagher of Megatokyo mentions it as an influence, and after 8 episodes
      > it's entertaining, but doesn't really break new ground, and its roots as a
      > video game show through here and there. I'll probably finish watching the
      > series, but I don't think I'll buy this if it gets licensed.

      That was the way I felt. It was fine - for a bishoujo series, the guy was actually pretty nice, but the end was weak and nothing really gets resolved. Although the proto-lesbian couple in the middle was cute.

      > I've also been watching the dubs on TechTV, Cartoon Network and the Anime
      > Network, so far only FLCL and Blue Gender

      I got about 1/2way into BG and had to stop. FLCL was another great premise w/out a story, IMHO.

      have intrigued me enough to
      > consider buying them. The .hack//SIGN dub is two episodes away from the end,
      > and they seem to be leaving it alone.

      From what I've seen, they really did a *good* job w/the dub on .hack. And I don't say that lightly. Big O, too.

      Other than Air Master, I'm indulging in a spot of super-seiyuu watching these days. Hisakawa Aya is, as always, everywhere, Koyasu Takehito and Ogata Megumi following in close second, with Kawakami Tomoko and Kuwashima Houko running a distant third.

      I finished the main arc of Juuni Kokki and for 38 of the 39 episodes was not entirely convinced it would have a happy ending. I liked this series quite a bit. It was dark and grim and held my attention. The last few episodes seem to be an omake about the hunky Emperor of En. I gotta hope he and Youko end up together. She could use a nice-looking guy like him.

      I'm busy watching Tantei Gakuen Q to get my fill of the above seiyuu. It's a cute little series that's clearly angling for the Detective Conan set that has grown older. Same company, so I guess they have a formula. It's a fun series, the characters are all likeable, except one and you can't help that, really.

      I spent today watching all of Kogepan. This series is based on a stationary mascot. One of the many anthropomorphized food items San-X sells to morons like myself and my wife (who collects a small grain of rice that goes on adventures....) Kogepan (Burnt Roll) was a nice little red-bean bun that was accidentally burnt and as a result, was cast out of the bakery. I follow his adventures with his friends (Cream Bread, Mayonnaise Bread, Strawberry Bread, etc) on stickers, stationary, small over-priced toys and random goofy items. Well, now he has an anime. It's not nearly as wrong as Ebichu, but it's still pretty strange. Kogepan is depressed and kind of angry, so he takes it out on the "nice" breads and he drinks milk to get drunk. LOL

      If I have enough caffiene, I meant to update the website this weekend - right now I have more Q to watch. :-)

    • Seravy~
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 29, 2003
        > I finished the main arc of Juuni Kokki and for 38 of
        > the 39 episodes was not entirely convinced it would
        > have a happy ending. I liked this series quite a
        > bit. It was dark and grim and held my attention. The
        > last few episodes seem to be an omake about the
        > hunky Emperor of En. I gotta hope he and Youko end
        > up together. She could use a nice-looking guy like
        > him.

        I liked JK too! I really liked the Taiki arc. It's now
        up to 41 now I think and the producers are saying that
        there'll be a long delay after this arc until more
        novels come out... (side note: either than the plot, I
        watched that show for all the bishoujo Kirins in
        there! Kourin, Renrin, Sairin are all my favs!)

        ~Seravy

      • Alyssa Hines
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29, 2003
          I've just watched all 13 eps of Hellsing,
          Angel Sanctuary and Miyuki-chan in wonderland (and the
          second one) hehe, way too broke to go and buy the
          utena dvds pity they are so darn expensive

          =====
          Daniel Johns Is God SILVERCHIAR

          http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search
        • koreanbunny_19
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 30, 2003
            > I spent today watching all of Kogepan. This series is based on a
            stationary mascot. One of the many anthropomorphized food items San-X
            sells to morons like myself and my wife (who collects a small grain
            of rice that goes on adventures....) Kogepan (Burnt Roll) was a nice
            little red-bean bun that was accidentally burnt and as a result, was
            cast out of the bakery. I follow his adventures with his friends
            (Cream Bread, Mayonnaise Bread, Strawberry Bread, etc) on stickers,
            stationary, small over-priced toys and random goofy items. Well, now
            he has an anime. It's not nearly as wrong as Ebichu, but it's still
            pretty strange. Kogepan is depressed and kind of angry, so he takes
            it out on the "nice" breads and he drinks milk to get drunk. LOL

            > If I have enough caffiene, I meant to update the website this
            weekend - right now I have more Q to watch. :-)

            Kogepan? LOL. That's hilarious. I spent three days a couple weeks
            back watching that. I didn't realize that they could make an anime
            out of bread, of all things. -.-;

            But then again, I've watched the web comic "MashiMaro". It's about
            this chubby rabbit named "MashiMaro". Each episode is a one-shot.
            It's pretty funny, but the person who created it had some strange
            humor. O.o;; MashiMaro is somewhat...demented, (lol) but it's
            strangely funny.

            If you wanna check it out, the address is:
            http://rebarb.homeip.net:8081/flashmovies/

            There's a section for MashiMaro under the heading "Series". LOL. It's
            hilarious.

            - sherazard (aka Eliza)

            PS: Seravy! Check your e-mail!! >_< Coz I gots apologizin' to do...
          • shirobara12
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 30, 2003
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <e.l.f.@i...> wrote:

              > > I'm still watching Airmaster, and eagerly anticipating
              > > each new episode. Erica has almost declared Airmaster
              > > mandatory viewing so I won't rehash its brilliance here.

              Yes yes, it's mandatory, hehe, everyone must obey, we all must
              watch Air Master and worship Maki's greatness!! ;) Damn,
              is Mina lucky or what? I'm envious! ;)

              > > I'm still watching Scrapped Princess and I'm surprised
              > > we've gone this late into con season without this title being
              > > licensed. But, with the BAAF coming up, I'm sure that
              > > will soon be rectified and I'll be waiting a year to see
              > > how this series ends. <sigh> So, if you haven't checked it
              > > out yet, I highly recommend doing so soon.
              >
              > I'll take it under consideration.

              I stopped watching it. :( That's because I thought it was good at
              first, and besides I liked the kinkiness and the pretty girls,
              but then it went on and on and I started feeling bored to sleep
              with it all, the repetitive plotlines, the stereotyped characters,
              the total lack of originality and enthusiasm. :( :( :( Me, my
              advice is don't bother with S.P., it gets old fast, it's boring,
              and no yuri in it, nope, nothing at all.

              > > I've started watching a new series called Ikkitousen, and
              > > it treads similar ground as Airmaster, main character is a girl
              > > who kicks a lot of ass. There are significant differences,
              > > however, specifically Sonsatsu Hakufu, the main character, is
              > > three days dumber than dirt, and someone cranked the
              > > fanservice dial all the way up to 11. The character designs
              > > are more traditional than Airmaster, and it has this awful
              > > J-Pop/Rap song for the opening. The story element differs in
              > > that it seems to be based on a Chinese legend and each of the
              > > characters wears a stone that houses the soul of a Chinese fighter.
              > > I don't know enough about that to be sure, so they could be
              > > making it up as far as I could tell. The only thing
              > > I really like about this series, fanservice doesn't really count,
              > > is one of Hakufu's rivals is this borderline sociopathic,
              > > eye-patch sporting, maid outfit wearing, dominatrix with a mean
              > > streak. I'm jealous that I didn't think of that first, she'd
              > > would have fit right in with our LARP.

              Ah, another Ikkitousen fan, that's wonderful, I just wrote myself
              a recommendation the other day, I recommended it for fans of
              martial-arts babes with super huge, spherical, physically impossible
              boobs and heated fighter rivalries with lots of girls angstily
              obsessing over other girls!! Hehehe. :) Ack, that didn't sound too
              good, but it's my fault for making it sound like that, I swear it's
              worth getting a few episodes if nothing else to have a laugh at
              the general silliness and maybe drool a bit over all those ultra
              cool tough streetfighter gals who get to face burly macho men
              every episode and always beat the crap out of them. :) :)

              > Oh my god. That sounds so awful it might be worth watching. LOL

              Ohoh, someone does understand, good, that's the spirit! :)

              White Rose
            • Ryogachan@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 30, 2003
                In a message dated 8/30/2003 2:49:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ashura@... writes:
                Kogepan? LOL. That's hilarious. I spent three days a couple weeks
                back watching that. I didn't realize that they could make an anime
                out of bread, of all things. -.-;
                Wasn't Anpanman all about bread guys? That was such a cute show, lol.

                * ~ Kes ^.~*

                ---------------

                the first word that came was "dream"... it came to me while I lay sleeping... and the darkness deep inside of my heart... was gently driven away
              • Ricardo Lafaurie Jr.
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 30, 2003
                  Cowboy Bebop is the only anime I watch right now.

                  Not cuz everything else sucks (although that's a possibility), it's
                  mainly because I'm broke and can only watch what's on TV. And CB is
                  the only anime on that I like.

                  On that note...
                  I'm on a modem and downloading anime usually means waiting 3 days.
                  Can anyone recommend some things I NEED to download despite that?
                  Thanks :-)