Retro moment - shoujo manga in the mid 80's

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2003
      Ok, so it's really trendy to be a lesbian right now in Japan. Well...
      not for *real* lesbians, assumably, but it's trendy if you're a
      straight girl to play lesbian for a while.

      I blame it on shoujo manga of the mid-to-late 1980's. hen all these
      women were in high school, they had stories like Hana-no-Asuka-gumi,
      Sukeban Deka and my current re-read YajiKita Gakuen Douchuuki, to
      read.

      In every one of these, the lead characters are cool, competent, mostly
      always save the damsel in distress, are objects of affection for
      everyone of those damsels and are supremely uninterested in the guys
      around them. In other words, they are baby dykes with an attitude and
      some serious street skills.

      As I began to re-read YajiKita last night I realized that Kita's cool
      comptenece isn't really cool or competent so much as constant
      irritation at others, a quality I share. So I feel for Kita-san, I
      really do. :-)

      Anyway, I think that these series were directly responsible for the
      current trend. I'm glad about that..maybe grl gnags will become
      fashionable again, too. ;-)

    • kun
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 29, 2003
        > Anyway, I think that these series were directly responsible for the
        > current trend. I'm glad about that..maybe grl gnags will become
        > fashionable again, too. ;-)

        I think we should start our own =^.^= We could all have matching leather
        jackets and go around beating up other gangs =^.^=

        Kun
        ----'-,-{@
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 29, 2003
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "kun" <kun@l...> wrote:

          >Maybe girl gangs will become fashionable again, too. ;-)

          > I think we should start our own =^.^= We could all have matching leather
          > jackets and go around beating up other gangs =^.^=

          Nonono, I'm taking after Erica Lopez and going to be a gang of one. I'll be the tough, but golden-hearted leader and the slimy, not-to-be-trusted second, as well as a variety of other gang members. LOL I don't need you guys.

        • kun
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
            > Nonono, I'm taking after Erica Lopez and going to be a gang of one. I'll be the tough, but golden-hearted leader and the slimy, not-to-be-trusted second, as well as a variety of other gang members. LOL I don't need you guys.

            Maybe not but you do need drugs...lots of em ;p

            Kun