Air Master, one mo' time!

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2003
      Hi all -

      You may have noticed a new disease spreading through the yuri fan
      community...an insidious virus that sinks its roots deep into one's psyche
      and does not let go. The virus is spreading rapidly and to be honest I'm
      sure the creators would be surprised at how many people have been infected.
      This new virus has a name: Air Master

      Air Master is an anime based on a comic that ran in 1997-9 or so. So it's
      not new, but the anime is running currently at midnight on Tuesdays in
      Japan. The manga was published by Jets Comics, which, if you keep up with
      that kind of thing, is pretty low on the seinen manga food chain. Not as low
      as Wani, but way down there. So you can expect lots of breasts and panty
      shots, even to the point of getting in the way of the story.

      The basic premise: A very tall girl named Aikawa Maki used to be a champion
      gymnast and is now a champion street fighter named Air Master. She meets and
      befriends several girls from her school: Yuu, a kogal; Michiru, who would be
      a kogal but doesn't really have the energy; Renge, a repulsive little
      creature who obsesses about food; Mina, a rich girl with ernormous breasts
      who completely falls for Maki. As do we all, because there's really nothing
      sexier than a woman who can really beat the crap out of other people, right?
      :-)

      For those of you who haven't seen the series, it comes down to - do you
      like to watch fights? This is a pure seinen series, where the fights *are*
      the plot. They are really well choreographed, though, so you can see what
      techniques are being used...even if they are ridiculous laws of physics
      defying techniques.

      The anime is, on the whole, better than the manga. The art is cleaner, so is
      the storyline. The characterizations are also a little tighter, even though
      the episodes are a pretty accurate reproduction of the manga stories. The
      only difference is that we lose a litle of Maki's backstory here and there
      in the anime. So, for that alone, the manga is worthwhile.

      But the manga has another attraction - Mina is much *more* into Maki than in
      the anime - to the point of kissing her quite thoroughly when Maki returns
      from defeating Sakamoto Juliet. Sadly, they did not do this in the anime.
      This was no peck, or rice-removal, this was a full on, heavy-duty kiss,
      which leaves Maki quite gaga. Yay, Mina.

      In any case, both manga and anime are well worth checking out.

      Help protect your PC: Get a free online virus scan at McAfee.com.
    • Renee
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26, 2003
        I've been watching Air Master and getting the episodes as fast as they are going on Anime Suki. I agree it's really good, though I kind of don't like the big noses in the character designs, but overall, the designs aide in a more fluid moving animation. It's definitely worth checking out. ^_^

        Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
[...]

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • shirobara12
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28, 2003
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" wrote:

          > But the manga has another attraction - Mina is much *more*
          > into Maki than in the anime - to the point of kissing her
          > quite thoroughly when Maki returns from defeating
          > Sakamoto Juliet. Sadly, they did not do this in the anime.
          > This was no peck, or rice-removal, this was a full
          > on, heavy-duty kiss, which leaves Maki quite gaga. Yay, Mina.

          Scan that for us? <big puppy eyes>

          White Rose
        • Regina Buenaobra
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2003
            Right, after I heard you all talking about this anime, I decided to
            start watching it. So far I've seen just four episodes (never enough
            time...). So far, I agree that Maki is the bees knees: She's very cool,
            kicks ass, nice hair, looks good in a uniform, etc. The visuals are
            nice - art style is clean, designs are cool, the opening theme rocks...
            The comments between Yuu and that other blonde (forgot her name) about
            Mina are kind of funny. Maki seems like an interesting character.

            But... Sorry for being the voice of lukewarm appreciation for this
            series... Does the story get more interesting? I mean, I'm all for the
            Maki/Mina dynamic, but is this the only reason people are watching it?
            Not that there's a thing wrong with watching it for that reason. ^_^

            Renge is getting on my nerves so much, and I might stop watching! I
            just want to strangle that loud, bug-eyed, big-mouthed, whiny kid. Tell
            me it gets better in some way, shape or form! Am I being too impatient?

            Regina

            =====
            sr388@...

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2003
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Regina Buenaobra <sr388@y...> wrote:

              > But... Sorry for being the voice of lukewarm appreciation for this
              > series... Does the story get more interesting?

              This is a shounen fighting series. The fights *are* the plot. if that
              doesn'tr do it for you, then, no...no it doesn't.

              I mean, I'm all for the
              > Maki/Mina dynamic, but is this the only reason people are watching
              it?
              > Not that there's a thing wrong with watching it for that reason. ^_^

              I'm watching it because i like the fights, too, and the characters.
              Individual storylines are so evil and wrong, I love them. ut if you're
              looking for a shoujo-style plot, then look no more, it ain't there.

              > Renge is getting on my nerves so much, and I might stop watching! I
              > just want to strangle that loud, bug-eyed, big-mouthed, whiny kid.
              Tell
              > me it gets better in some way, shape or form! Am I being too
              impatient?

              Nope! Join the club. :-) She's repulsive, and becomes more so. LOL