Re: [Yuricon] Digest Number 814

  • Claude Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2003
      >It's getting there now -there's more activism in japan
      with
      >relation to waht
      >children read and watch and rising violence rates (as if a

      >moribund
      >educational system and an economy that's been depressed
      for
      >two decades
      >aren't contributing factors...no, it's the amount of
      >cartoon violence kids
      >see, right!)

      I used to want to raise my kids in Japan, but after having
      lived there for a few years I definitely would not want for
      them to have to endure the educational system.

      There are a lot of factors that would go to explain the
      increase in violence:

      Sheer, incredible frustration -- The poor folks work too
      damn hard and their companies don't appreciate their
      efforts.

      Not being able to spend time with their families -- If
      you're at work or commuting from work a total of 12-14
      hours a day, you're not at home with your kids raising
      them.

      Bullying at School -- Horrific. The scars it can create
      last a long, long time.

      Very Few New Jobs -- If you can't earn a buck (or a few
      yen) by working, go out and steal some.

      I wish that the people in Japan could change their society
      to the point where they could leave their jobs at 5:00 or
      6:00 and then go home to be with their families.

      Claude Smith

      =====
      http://eckserver.eckerd.edu/~smithcj <-- Link to the Jake Experience--------
      If you find yourself struggling with loneliness, you're not alone. Yet you are alone. So very alone. || Women say all men are the same, but they have no problem telling me how different I am from Sean Connery, Tom Cruise or Clint Eastwood. [And another question.] As there are no TV broadcasts of chess in Japan, I have one question for [you]. Are there any slow motion replays of chess ? ||--Eisuke "Pretty Hard-Boiled" Kagawa ||

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com