Re: [Yuricon] Yuri Movie Suggestions (OT?)

  • Cyborgnut42@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 2, 2003
      i liked what you had to say

      im new to the club as well and i cant seem to find anime of the said nature as well

      if anyone can help me id really appreciate it

      thanks and i hope i have not broken any rules as well in asking for help

      sincerly

      grant
    • Trixterpriest@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 3, 2003
        > Thanks in advance and appologies if I just broke any mailing-list rule, I am rather new into this.

        No rules were broken ;) Welcome to Yuricon =^.^= Please keep all hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times...

        A good place to start looking for yuri in anime would be The List. Yuricon has a list of shoujoai/yuri anime on the official website. And we're always looking for more nominations :)

        Kun
        ----'-,-{@
      • Trixterpriest@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 3, 2003
          > im new to the club as well and i cant seem to find anime of the said nature as well

          Welcome Grant! Have you tried 'The List' yet? It's on the Yuricon website...

          *does a little list dance*

          Kun
          ---'-,-{@
        • Dark Light
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 3, 2003
            From: Trixterpriest@...
            Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 07:08:53 -0400
            To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Yuri Movie Suggestions (OT?)

            > No rules were broken ;) Welcome to Yuricon =^.^= Please > keep all hands and feet inside the vehicle at all > times...
            Thanks a lot! I will keep that in mind, and wear my helmet as well :)

            > A good place to start looking for yuri in anime would be > The List.
            I have to say that I always check the obvious spots first ;). However, to the best of my understanding, the list is pretty much down to people's interpretation. For example, I have seen Ghost in the Shell and though the main hero could be described as butch (and lovely) the word lesbian didn't occured to me while watching the film.

            I was hoping to get people's opinions about films they particularily like and why do they think those films should be classified under yuri. Perhaps I set my expectations too high :) However, I did my best to pass my own knowledge -unfortunately only basic lavel information I am sure you all know- to the other neophyte here, on a personal e-mail.

            All the best,
            DL

            http://www.operamail.com
            Get OperaMail Premium today - USD 29.99/year

            Powered by Outblaze
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 3, 2003
              >From: "Dark Light" <darklight@...>

              >I have to say that I always check the obvious spots first ;). However, to
              >the best of my understanding, the list is pretty much down to people's
              >interpretation. For example, I have seen Ghost in the Shell and though the
              >main hero could be described as butch (and lovely) the word lesbian didn't
              >occured to me while watching the film.

              If I recall correctly, that series is only listed under "Manga" not anime,
              too. In the manga (the uncensored version) there is an extremely explicit
              lesbian menage-a-trois.

              >I was hoping to get people's opinions about films they particularily like
              >and why do they think those films should be classified under yuri. Perhaps
              >I set my expectations too high :)

              Well, do please remembe that what to one person is explicitly lesbian, to
              another is bare acknoweldgment. :-) For instance, Card Captor Sakura is a
              perfect example. In the manga Tomoyo makes it fairly plain that she has
              designs on Sakura. In the anime, she is simply admiring and obsessed. It
              makes sense to interpret that as desire/attraction, but it can just as
              easily be passed off as hero worship.

              As for me, there are so darn few really "lesbian" characters by my
              interpretation, that it's ocassionally frustrating. For every Haruka and
              Michiru, there are many dozens of Tomoyos. And even H&M are never seen
              kissing.

              That's why I think SnB ought to be an anime. :-) THEN we'd see the overtly
              lesbian lead kissing other, completely willing, female characters, dammit!
              LOL

            • Cyborgnut42@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 3, 2003
                i have to agree with erica on what was said

                and i have seen ghost in the shell and i liked it

                but i have not been able to find the manga but a pal of mine who has read it said that there was a few lesbian scenes with the main character

                but that she had to have fun with her lovers via cyberspace

                which to me would seem right since she is 100% cyborg

                but i wish they had put it in the anime since she was as said a bit butch

                and i also liked what was said about card captor sakura

                with tomoyo being inspired with sakura

                or like in sailormoon s
                that sailor uranus and neptune are lovers but from what i have seen

                you dont actually ever see anything

                if i am in the wrong someone please tell me because id love to see some eps with one or the other pledging there love for one another
                or even just a kiss

                i hope thats not too much to ask?

                and i also wanna say thanks to all the helpers out there for pointing me the way to look for yuri titles on the enternet

                now that i have some titles

                im gonna try and ask my out of town shop to order me some(i have to use an out of town place to buy,because anime is not sold and is kinda tabooed where i live)

                thanks again

                grant

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 3, 2003
                  >From: Cyborgnut42@...

                  >or like in sailormoon s
                  >that sailor uranus and neptune are lovers but from what i have seen
                  >
                  >you dont actually ever see anything
                  >
                  >if i am in the wrong someone please tell me because id love to see some eps
                  >with one or the other pledging there love for one another
                  >or even just a kiss

                  Well, it is, because shoujo anime simply doesn't have much in the way of
                  that for *any* couple...but...

                  The Sailor Moon Super S Special (still available online from VKLL
                  www.spots.ab.ca/~lamv/, as far as I know) has a 15 minute segment about
                  Haruka and Michiru, where the punchline is, "A world without Haruka isn't
                  worth saving." Plus Haruka flirts with the maid. :) All in all, worth
                  seeing.

                  But that's the best you're gonna get from them.

                • Shannon Stricof
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 3, 2003
                    As for me, there are so darn few really "lesbian" characters by my
                    interpretation, that it's ocassionally frustrating. For every Haruka and
                    Michiru, there are many dozens of Tomoyos. And even H&M are never seen
                    kissing.

                    That's why I think SnB ought to be an anime. :-) THEN we'd see the overtly
                    lesbian lead kissing other, completely willing, female characters, dammit!
                    LOL

                    SnB would make a great anime. It's too bad it isn't. Maybe someday.....

                    -Shannon Ami

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • E.M Lason
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 4, 2003
                      Hi there
                      I have got a problem with two yuri mangas i won.They are "Love my life " and "Applause".They are both great comics but unfortunately only in Japanese.I was searching the net for any info or translation or even small synopsis or author`s biography but i didn`t find anything! (even on famous manga bob bons web site!)
                      Please anybody can You help me to find out what these comisc are about? I will be grateful

                      malicia

                      Login To Lycos Mail
                    • Johann Chua
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 4, 2003
                        At 10:04 PM 7/3/2003 -0400, Erica Friedman wrote:
                        >>From: Cyborgnut42@...
                        >
                        >>or like in sailormoon s
                        >>that sailor uranus and neptune are lovers but from what i have seen
                        >>you dont actually ever see anything
                        >>
                        >>if i am in the wrong someone please tell me because id love to see some
                        eps
                        >>with one or the other pledging there love for one another
                        >>or even just a kiss
                        >
                        >Well, it is, because shoujo anime simply doesn't have much in the way of
                        >that for *any* couple...but...

                        I suppose. But with same-sex couples a little more evidence would be nice to
                        get out of plausible deniability. I mean, if I hadn't been exposed to CCS
                        fandom before watching the anime, would I actually pick up that Touya and
                        Yukito _are_ a couple, rather than _likely_ to be but not definitely a
                        couple? (This was brought up by a Touya/Yukito fan on cffml.) Then again
                        Shaoran's crush on Yukito is too obvious, so isn't serious, same with Nakuru
                        chasing Touya (but most people think Nakuru is a girl). And there's the fact
                        that Touya and Yukito, like Haruka and Michiru, are supporting characters, so
                        wouldn't get the same attention main characters do.
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 5, 2003
                          Try visiting the Shoujo Yuri Manga Guide on the Yuricon website.
                          http://www.yuricon.org/symg/hym

                          I know that "love My Life" is there.

                        • Trixterpriest@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 7, 2003
                            > get out of plausible deniability. I mean, if I hadn't been exposed to CCS
                            > fandom before watching the anime, would I actually pick up that Touya and
                            > Yukito _are_ a couple, rather than _likely_ to be but not definitely a
                            > couple? (This was brought up by a Touya/Yukito fan on cffml.) Then again

                            Just for myself, I noticed it right away...I mean to say, sure two young teenage boys MIGHT ride a bike together but would the one not pedaling really be holding on so tight? =^.^=

                            Kun
                            ----'-,-{@
                          • Kathryn Williams
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 7, 2003
                              Sorry I've been away for a while. I have a few I can list but most are manga
                              and not Anime (or the shoujo ai only shows up really in the manga)

                              Firstly my fav, Alien 9 - I know there is only questionable scenes in the
                              Anime but that is only half the story. In volumes 2 and 3 Yuri and Kumi
                              kiss. In Vol 4 (when they are in High school) the two are living together.
                              Nothing more then kissing and confessing their love to each other but that
                              is enough for me.

                              Yokohama Kadashi Kihou as not one but severl kisses between a three girl
                              love triangle. It is very cute the way Alpha keeps blushing and fainting
                              when whe is kissed. There is an Anime for the first volume or so of the
                              Manga and a new series with focuses on Volume 7.

                              Chirality is another Manga where the girls end up together in the end.

                              I know if I dug through my anime pile I could pull out more but right now my
                              mind is still in art mode so all it can think of is The Shadowlands (Working
                              on Chapter 4 right now, Should make alot of you happy >^_^<)

                              Problem I'm running into now is finding Shoujo ai series where both girls
                              *live* in the end.

                              Anyways, I'll post more as I find them. Once I get the next installment of
                              the Shadowlands finished I'll be adding more reviews and such which I'll
                              post when they are up.

                              Well, Back to work with me.

                              jaa ne

                              Kat
                              http://www.KatAndNekoManga.ca

                              > Hello all,
                              >
                              > Slowly but steadily I collect dvds with lesbian themes/movies. My very
                              last item was Revolutionary Girl Utena - The Movie, a film that I simply
                              adore for many obvious (and not so obvious reasons), that I am more than
                              willing to discuss.

                              > I would be really grateful if you could suggest anime movies or particular
                              series episodes with a strong yuri theme, where the relationships are
                              obvious and not wishful thinking. Preferably films I could buy on-line as I
                              do not live in the US; region however is not a problem.

                              > Thanks in advance and appologies if I just broke any mailing-list rule, I
                              am rather new into this.

                              > All the best,
                              > DL
                              > --

                            • Johann Chua
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 7, 2003
                                At 07:51 AM 7/7/2003 -0400, Trixterpriest@... wrote:
                                >> get out of plausible deniability. I mean, if I hadn't been exposed to
                                CCS
                                >> fandom before watching the anime, would I actually pick up that Touya and
                                >> Yukito _are_ a couple, rather than _likely_ to be but not definitely a
                                >> couple? (This was brought up by a Touya/Yukito fan on cffml.) Then
                                again

                                >Just for myself, I noticed it right away...I mean to say, sure two young
                                >teenage boys MIGHT ride a bike together but would the one not pedaling
                                >really be holding on so tight? =^.^=

                                Need to stop reading the paper while I watch CCS reruns. (I'm mostly
                                listening for Aya Blanco as Nakuru since it got up to the Sakura Cards arc.)
                                Don't recall how they usually ride together. Then again I still have fansubs
                                of eps. 1-35 and movie 1 to tide me over till I get the DVDs.

                                The Touya feeding Yukito scene was pretty blatant. One of the first episodes
                                I ever saw, raw, taped off NHK BS-2.

                                Would've been nice to notice all of it on my own, though.

                                Going back to yuri: Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko TV. Fan favorite pairing is
                                Yohko/Ayano, pretty much canon that Ayano loves Yohko, but the problem is
                                Yohko's pretty much staight and only sees Ayano as a friend, unless there's
                                something more in the novels, manga, and radio dramas. Ayano does have this
                                slightly OOC, Tomoyo-esque expression on her face as she looks at Yohko in
                                some of the promo art (need to scan the artbook one of these days), and of
                                course there's the even more OOC pose she has with Yohko on the cover of TV
                                series volume 7.

                                Yohko/Madoka has a bit of the Ryoko/Ayeka dynamic, with the added bonus of
                                them not fighting over a guy, but their relationship is really more like the
                                Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote's.

                                <Machiko> Madoka wants to catch Yohko so she can eat her?
                                <Aya> ......
                                <me> That's one way of putting it. More like Yohko antagonizes Madoka
                                whenever possible, though she does like her as a friend. Sort of.
                              • Shannon Stricof
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 7, 2003
                                  You're always sooo busy Kat. Dont you ever relax???

                                  -Shannon

                                  Kathryn Williams <neko_haruka@...> wrote:
                                  Sorry I've been away for a while. I have a few I can list but most are manga
                                  and not Anime (or the shoujo ai only shows up really in the manga)

                                  Firstly my fav, Alien 9 - I know there is only questionable scenes in the
                                  Anime but that is only half the story. In volumes 2 and 3 Yuri and Kumi
                                  kiss. In Vol 4 (when they are in High school) the two are living together.
                                  Nothing more then kissing and confessing their love to each other but that
                                  is enough for me.

                                  Yokohama Kadashi Kihou as not one but severl kisses between a three girl
                                  love triangle. It is very cute the way Alpha keeps blushing and fainting
                                  when whe is kissed. There is an Anime for the first volume or so of the
                                  Manga and a new series with focuses on Volume 7.

                                  Chirality is another Manga where the girls end up together in the end.

                                  I know if I dug through my anime pile I could pull out more but right now my
                                  mind is still in art mode so all it can think of is The Shadowlands (Working
                                  on Chapter 4 right now, Should make alot of you happy >^_^<)

                                  Problem I'm running into now is finding Shoujo ai series where both girls
                                  *live* in the end.

                                  Anyways, I'll post more as I find them. Once I get the next installment of
                                  the Shadowlands finished I'll be adding more reviews and such which I'll
                                  post when they are up.

                                  Well, Back to work with me.

                                  jaa ne

                                  Kat
                                  http://www.KatAndNekoManga.ca

                                  > Hello all,
                                  >
                                  > Slowly but steadily I collect dvds with lesbian themes/movies. My very
                                  last item was Revolutionary Girl Utena - The Movie, a film that I simply
                                  adore for many obvious (and not so obvious reasons), that I am more than
                                  willing to discuss.

                                  > I would be really grateful if you could suggest anime movies or particular
                                  series episodes with a strong yuri theme, where the relationships are
                                  obvious and not wishful thinking. Preferably films I could buy on-line as I
                                  do not live in the US; region however is not a problem.

                                  > Thanks in advance and appologies if I just broke any mailing-list rule, I
                                  am rather new into this.

                                  > All the best,
                                  > DL
                                  > --

                                  Do you Yahoo!?
                                • Kathryn Williams
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 9, 2003
                                    I tried to after Yuricon but didn't have much luck. Now I'm a month behind schedule *sighs* But good news is I'm back to working at my usually speed so should have Chapter 4 up and running by the middle of the month.

                                    I never seem to be happy unless I'm working on something *shurgs* that is just me I guess. Mind you what I consider work other consider play LOL

                                    Well, back to my scribbles.

                                    jaa ne

                                    Kat

                                    Do you Yahoo!?

                                  • Shannon Stricof
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 11, 2003
                                      In that case, I hope you have fun "working" then.

                                      -Shannon Ami

                                      Do you Yahoo!?

                                      Do you Yahoo!?