Re: [spamfic] [utena] SFAE: Episode 42

  • shirobara12
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 3, 2003
      > Actually, Mireille is Corsican. Not French. ^^

      Hehehe, someone here hates France and doesn't want
      Mireille Bouquet to be French because then he would have to
      hate Mireille and, oh no, that would be terrible, how can
      anyone hate Mireille, not Mireille, not her!!! :) ;)

      Saying "Mireille is Corsican, not French!" is like saying
      "Kasuga Ayumu is not Japanese, she's Osakan!" - I mean,
      come on, really. :) Mireille is French, a lesbian and
      an assassin, and a lot of people hate her for all three
      things - but that's what she is and there's no way of
      denying any of the three. :)

      White Rose
    • kate0211@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2003
        In a message dated 6/3/2003 11:06:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dreiser3@... writes:

        Rather than spamming the ml, anyone who wants the
        daily dose of elevator idiocy can just visit my website
        at http://www.dreiser.net/

        Well, it seems that I'm only about 43 episodes behind...!  I'd better get reading!  ;)

        Katya
      • kate0211@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2003
          In a message dated 6/4/2003 12:37:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time, shanami632@... writes:

          Actually, I'm pretty sure Corsica and Sardinia are a separate country by now (If you have read any Ludlum, it's in the Matarese Circle), though I don't claim to know for sure.

          Corsica is a part of France.  Sardinia is a part of Italy.

          Katya, Geographer
        • Eltink, Royi
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2003
            *steps uit of lurkerville*

            Corsica independant? Some people are trying to (the usual way, bombings, assasinations and stuff like that).... But knowing France and its regiments Foreigners Legion there, I doubt they'll get indepance the next decade.

            > Saying "Mireille is Corsican, not French!" is like saying
            > "Kasuga Ayumu is not Japanese, she's Osakan!" - I mean,
            > come on, really. :) Mireille is French, a lesbian and
            > an assassin, and a lot of people hate her for all three
            > things - but that's what she is and there's no way of
            > denying any of the three. :)

            ..wich reminds me of an April fools day, article:
            The recent grassroots U.S. boycott of all French items has caused an unforseen side-effect in the anime world. Sales of the recently released anime "Noir", which is set in France, have dropped off as American fans have exercised their patriotic duty to avoid any and all French influences.

            Another anime fan, also wishing to remain anonymous, had this to say: "If it was up to me, I'd buy 'Noir'. It's the kind of story that I like, a bit like 'The Professional' or 'La Femme Nikita'. But my father works at a big defence contractor and his security clearance is up for review this month. My family can't afford for my father to lose his job right now - we have to join in with the French boycott."

            A third fan, who was willing to give his name but will remain anonymous anyway, gave a slightly different reason for boycotting the "Noir" anime. "Sure, they go in and kill people who can't be removed any other way, just like we're doing in Iraq. But their biggest enemy is named 'Soldats', and that means 'soldiers' in French - I looked it up on Babelfish. I can't in good conscience buy something that has soldiers as the bad guys while American soldiers are fighting the good fight in Iraq."

            There is currently no word from ADV Films as to whether they are changing their plans for "Noir" in light of the current boycott of French products.

            Ro'
            ...who still has to see Noir ep 14 and further...

            *steps back in lurkerville*
          • Shannon Stricof