Semi-OT book recommendation

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2003
      I'm currently reading a book that echoes many of my own thoughts about Japan
      and Japanese culture - which is really bizarre, since I don't really speak
      from too much experience and this woman was in the country for a year...

      "Too Late for the Festival" by Rhiannon Paine.

      It was written in 1999, and a few of the things are marginally out of
      date...but by and large, this book is eerily reflective of many of my
      thoughts on Japan.It's a pretty funny book, with interestly skewed, but
      largely accurate discussions of trying to learn the language and culture. If
      you want to get the full being foreign abroad* feel, I'd definitely
      recommend it.

      * "Foreigners living abroad" is a line from a Monty Python skit. They are
      doing interviews with the man-on-the-street and John Cleese suggests a tax
      on all foreigners living abroad. Pattie and I used the line frequently in
      Tokyo, because we were so clearly foreign.