  • Rose
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2003
      o.o; I figure I may as well complain to the people that might be able
      to give me a tip or something... I was up from 11 to 3 or 4 making
      an attempt to draw side-veiws so my drawings weren't always the
      same...as it's difficult to have people kissing from a front
      veiw/thing. *Nod* So! I think... I got two profiles that weren't
      completely hideous but I could really use some sort of help.

      Rose

      I Don't Think Anyone Can Say It,
      Quite Like You Can.
      Say It Again.

      I'm A Perfect Devil
    • Renee
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2003
        As an artist myself, the most important and basic advice I can give you if you're struggling in htat area is to practice,practice,and practice some more. I have always had a knack for drawing in proportion and repetitively without the use of guides or tools, but maybe some graphic and tracing paper will come in handy to help you repeat it enough times that you will gradually wean yourself away and able to do it on your own. Also, you may find the website http://www.polykarbon.com and the How to Draw Manga Couples book helpful.
        Hope this helps.
        Renee

        Rose <UtenasRedRose@...> wrote:
        o.o; I figure I may as well complain to the people that might be able
        to give me a tip or something...  I was up from 11 to 3 or 4 making
        an attempt to draw side-veiws so my drawings weren't always the
        same...as it's difficult to have people kissing from a front
        veiw/thing.  *Nod*  So!  I think... I got two profiles that weren't
        completely hideous but I could really use some sort of help.

                             Rose

                I Don't Think Anyone Can Say It,
                      Quite Like You Can.
                         Say It Again.

                      I'm A Perfect Devil

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Kathryn Williams
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2003
          It took me a while to get use to profile sketches but once I did it wasn't
          to hard. As for drawing kissing on Profile that is even easier. Here are a
          couple of examples from my works that show how I go about it

          http://www.katandnekomanga.ca/ShadowVol03/Shadowlanders3.02.13.html

          I usually only show the moment before the kiss so this is my only current
          example. I have a few more but they are not only just yet.

          All in all I found it best to work from photos and referance and don't worry
          to much about showing the lips touch, only concentrate on getting the mood
          across.

          Well I wish you luck.

          jaa ne

          Kat

          > o.o; I figure I may as well complain to the people that might be able
          > to give me a tip or something... I was up from 11 to 3 or 4 making
          > an attempt to draw side-veiws so my drawings weren't always the
          > same...as it's difficult to have people kissing from a front
          > veiw/thing. *Nod* So! I think... I got two profiles that weren't
          > completely hideous but I could really use some sort of help.
          >

          > Rose
          >
          > I Don't Think Anyone Can Say It,
          > Quite Like You Can.
          > Say It Again.
          >
          > I'm A Perfect Devil

        • Rose
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2003
            *Nodnod* Thanks, both of you. I'd say each helped equally, even
            though I'm just now starting to practice. Atleast I've got a chance
            now. ;)

            Rose

            I Don't Think Anyone Can Say It,
            Quite Like You Can.
            Say It Again.

            I'm A Perfect Devil
          • shenotski
            Message 5 of 11 , May 1, 2003
              I disagree with useing photos for referance, they are to flat. The best reference
              is real people. Try going to some place with alot of people, like a mall.
              Refence from real life not pictures. Trust me when i say this.
              > All in all I found it best to work from photos and referance and don't worry
              > to much about showing the lips touch, only concentrate on getting the mood
              > across.
              >
              > Well I wish you luck.
              >
              > jaa ne
              >
              > Kat
            • Renee

                Message 7 of 11 , May 1, 2003
                  > You're welcome. I am glad I was atleast some help. I would like to
                  see some of work sometime. ^_-

                  Only if you don't mind being temporarily blinded. As soon as I get
                  the chance to scan some of it, I'll post some form or another of it.
                  *Walks off complaining about the unintentional use of Miracle-Gro in
                  a drawing*

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 1, 2003
                    Johann is correct. If you don't know the skill of drawing a moving traget it
                    is not good practice to try to learn that way (remembers being made to draw
                    live birds.. ack) . Plus with photo's you can seach for the proper angel you
                    are looking for and work from that.

                    My Art teacher once told us that if you can't works from a photo first you
                    shouldn't bother tyring to work from a model. Seeing as you are creating a
                    2d image from a 3d source there should be no different from working with a
                    model or a photo.

                    Anyways, That is enough ymmering out of me.

                    jaa ne

                    Kat

                    > People in public usually won't stay still long enough to be used for
                    > reference.
                    > It's not like they're modeling for an artist.
                    > --
                    > Johann Chua -- HP: http://www.geocities.com/fuuma_1999/
                    > "Does anything last forever? Does love? Does pain? I'll
                    > tell you when I'm a thousand years old." Karen Kunawicz
                  • Renee
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 2, 2003
                      Lmao! Well I see no such thing as bad art. Every piece has a potential of growth and developement. Besides, art is totally in the eye of the beholder, what some may think is good others may see as bad, there is no bad art. I can offer you hints and suggestion to help you achieve a certain style but I won't tell you how to draw. Every artist has thier own style and what they learn from others and I don't believe it's right when I encounter artists who say "you can only do things this way..." I have bursted alot of bubbles in the fanfic community over that same arguement. I do agree what the other person said too( her name on here escapes me at the moment, I just woke up,bear with me,lol), using live models is best, but use them when you feel you are ready. If you feel only comfrtable with a 2-d image model for now, use it as a stepping stone to graduate up. I am sure you will make an excellent artist one day with enough practice and motivation. Feel free to email me your art at any time, I love to see other styles. And if you have any questions, I will try to help int he best of my ability.

                      Rose <UtenasRedRose@...> wrote:

                      > You're welcome. I am glad I was atleast some help. I would like to
                      see some of work sometime. ^_-

                      Only if you don't mind being temporarily blinded.  As soon as I get
                      the chance to scan some of it, I'll post some form or another of it.
                      *Walks off complaining about the unintentional use of Miracle-Gro in
                      a drawing*

                                           Rose

                              I Don't Think Anyone Can Say It,
                                    Quite Like You Can.
                                       Say It Again.

                                    I'm A Perfect Devil

                      Do you Yahoo!?
                    • Johann Chua
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 2, 2003

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 2, 2003
                          >Lmao! Well I see no such thing as bad art. Every piece has a
                          >potential of growth and developement. Besides, art is totally in the
                          >eye of the beholder, what some may think is good others may see as ?
                          >bad, there is no bad art. I can offer you hints and suggestion to
                          >help you achieve a certain style but I won't tell you how to draw.
                          >Every artist has thier own style and what they learn from others and
                          >I don't believe it's right when I encounter artists who say "you can
                          >only do things this way..." I have bursted alot of bubbles in the
                          >fanfic community over that same arguement. I do agree what the other
                          >person said too( her name on here escapes me at the moment, I just
                          >woke up,bear with me,lol), using live models is best, but use them
                          >when you feel you are ready. If you feel only comfrtable with a 2-d
                          >image model for now, use it as a stepping stone to graduate up. I am
                          >sure you will make an excellent artist one day with enough practice
                          >and motivation. Feel free to email me your art at any time, I love
                          >to see other styles. And if you have any questions, I will try to
                          >help int he best of my ability.

                          o.o; Again, thanks.