Re: Rose of Versailles picture

  • jason
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2003
      > I'm spending a snow day home today and I found this lovely picture
      by Ryoko
      > Ikeda of Lady Oscar and Rosalie on Yahoo Japan Auctions.

      > http://www.yuricon.org

      > Because fanfic does not have to suck

      can anyone tell me a bit more about this anime at all? i have heard
      about it and i dont know that mucha abbout it. any help would be cool.

    • Trixterpriest@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2003

        > I'm spending a snow day home today and I found this lovely picture by Ryoko
        > Ikeda of Lady Oscar and Rosalie on Yahoo Japan Auctions.

        *happy sigh* Too bad the Queen didn't have a fling with the Captain of the Guard ;p Although, if the truth be known, I don't think I'd want to tackle Marie either ;)

        Kun
        ----'-,-{@
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2003
          >From: Trixterpriest@...
          > > I'm spending a snow day home today and I found this lovely picture by
          >Ryoko
          > > Ikeda of Lady Oscar and Rosalie on Yahoo Japan Auctions.
          > >

          >*happy sigh* Too bad the Queen didn't have a fling with the Captain of the
          >Guard ;p Although, if the truth be known, I don't think I'd want to tackle
          >Marie either ;)

          Marie Antionette...the *ultimate* in high maintenance women. UGH. :-)

          On the whole, I like Rosalie and Lady Oscar better.

          Having seen the Takarazuka version, pattie and I both strongly believe that
          the whole story was written with Takarazuka in mind.

        • kate0211@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2003
            In a message dated 4/8/2003 1:23:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time, alecto_fury@... writes:

            Marie Antionette...the *ultimate* in high maintenance women. UGH. :-)

            Perhaps that is true.  Should I take the fact that my birthday is the same day as some sort of explanation for my behaviour?

            Katya, the lurking returnee
          • Shirobara Hime
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 11, 2003
              > Marie Antoinette...the *ultimate* in high maintenance
              > women. UGH. :-)
              >
              > On the whole, I like Rosalie and Lady Oscar better.

              Hehe, yes, there really isn't anything romantic going on
              between Oscar and Marie Antoinette - the moment Marie
              learns Oscar is a woman, she loses all interest in her.
              Oscar and Rosalie, on the other side, are, like, y'know,
              canon. :) :) Some scenes:

              After learning that she is a noble heiress and that her
              family wants her back, Rosalie talks to Oscar:

              Rosalie: (hugging Oscar's knees)
              "Oscar-sama... Please don't let me go anywhere.
              I want to serve you for my whole life. Please,
              let me be with you always! I..."
              Oscar: "Rosalie, you must think about your family and
              your little sister. They certainly need you.
              I want you to leave this house one day, leave
              and live a normal life. Don't forget, Rosalie:
              I am... a woman."
              (leaves)
              Rosalie: (heartbroken, starts crying)
              "Oscar-sama!!"

              Later, Rosalie is leaving Oscar's house to live with her
              mother, the rich and evil Countess Polignac.

              Rosalie: (thinking)
              "Oscar-sama, even if you are a woman, I love you.
              I love you so much I could die. That's why I'm
              leaving you. I'll never forget you. I could
              never forget you, not even when I change my name
              to Rosalie de Polignac. My days in this house
              were the happiest days of my life. Oscar-sama,
              you were my first love!"
              Oscar: (finds that Rosalie is leaving, tries to act cool
              and distant but fails, hehehe)
              "Rosalie!!"
              Rosalie: "Oscar-sama?"
              Oscar: (kisses Rosalie, roses float everywhere, kyaaa!!)
              Rosalie: (after a few moments, pushes Oscar away and runs
              out of the house, eyes full of tears)
              "Oscar-sama... goodbye!"

              Later, that night, Oscar, who looks like shit (very unusual
              in her *snicker*), is drinking and thinking:

              Oscar: "A girl like a spring breeze, bringing light to
              this house, wrapping everything in the sweet
              scent of flowers... She truly loved me, but...
              it could not be! There was nothing I could do!
              I'm a woman, dammit!"

              That "I can't love her because I'm a woman" thing really
              makes the poor girls angst, it's so sad... Good thing that
              in her next manga, Oniisama e, Riyoko Ikeda decided to have
              none of that and let the innocent heroine get involved in
              all sorts of yuri love polygons without a worry, hehe. :) :)

              > Having seen the Takarazuka version, pattie and I both
              > strongly believe that the whole story was written
              > with Takarazuka in mind.

              Yeah, I agree, happens a lot with such stories. :) It's sort
              of a shoujo tradition since Ribbon no Kishi. :) :)

              Osamu Tezuka was a Takarazuka boy, come to think of it... ;)

              White Rose

              http://tax.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 13, 2003
                >From: Shirobara Hime <shirobara12@...>

                >Yeah, I agree, happens a lot with such stories. :) It's sort
                >of a shoujo tradition since Ribbon no Kishi. :) :)
                >
                >Osamu Tezuka was a Takarazuka boy, come to think of it... ;)

                Absolutely - Ribon no Kishi was strongly influenced by Takarazuka...I think
                you can see that in the way the heroine carries herself throughout.