According to the AnimeonDVD forums...

  • Sean Gaffney
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2003
      At Sakura Con, ADV said they're looking into buying DVD rights to
      several anime from the 70s, including Rose of Versailles.

      Woo!

      --SG
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2003
        >From: "Sean Gaffney" <sean@...>

        >At Sakura Con, ADV said they're looking into buying DVD rights to
        >several anime from the 70s, including Rose of Versailles.

        Not surprising - there's a brand new edition of the manga out. Very spiffy
        covers.

        All the anime distros here and looking backwards, because it's easier to
        license old stuff than new and because the growing demand means they have to
        keep releasing new titles to keep people's interest high.

        In related news, at my local county library today, I saw Chobits and Ranma
        translated volumes on the New Books shelves - I'd never before seen American
        Comics graphic novels or tradepapers at the library before (particularly not
        that one, which functions more as a reference library and business center
        than a local library.) So I'm afraid, my friends that we've hit mainstream
        and we'll all be pulled along in an ever-growing tide that will quickly
        leave us behind.

        Luckily, we're putting out our own comics, so we can get a piece of the
        action. :-)

      • Ryogachan@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2003
          In a message dated 4/5/2003 5:15:31 PM Pacific Standard Time, alecto_fury@... writes:

          I saw Chobits and Ranma
          translated volumes on the New Books shelves - I'd never before seen American
          Comics graphic novels or tradepapers at the library before

             They've had Ranma, Ah My Goddess, and several others at my local library for over a year. They also have the Vamp Princess Miyu OVA's on tape.

          * ~ Kes ^.~*

          ---------------

          the first word that came was "dream"... it came to me while I lay sleeping... and the darkness deep inside of my heart... was gently driven away
        • shenotski
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2003
            Give me enough time and i'll make something that will blow that wave
            away. All i need is a few million dollars anda few moths to write a
            scipt. Then i can hire the shit load of animators it would take to
            output a high quality OAV and kick the direct to video markets ass.
            Hey if Disney can get away with making bastard sequils then whats a
            really good direct to video animation going to do.

            Don't mind me just reveling in my body eating itself since i bought
            to much anime and now have no money. Ahh, 3 days and i'll be able to
            eat again.
            > In related news, at my local county library today, I saw Chobits
            and Ranma
            > translated volumes on the New Books shelves - I'd never before seen
            American
            > Comics graphic novels or tradepapers at the library before
            (particularly not
            > that one, which functions more as a reference library and business
            center
            > than a local library.) So I'm afraid, my friends that we've hit
            mainstream
            > and we'll all be pulled along in an ever-growing tide that will
            quickly
            > leave us behind.
          • Psududu FISH
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8, 2003
              The re-released Rose of Versailles??? *eyes go wide* I'd love to pick it up
              at Kinokunia, do you know who's putting it out?? ^^ I'd be ever so grateful!

              Do we have many dealers coming to Yuri-con this year?? ^^

              ~Sabashii

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 8, 2003
                Sakura-con!!! YAY! ^__^ Though there should have been a
                yuri/shoujoai/yaoi/shonenai panel. -_-

                ~Sabashii

              • mllelaurel@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 9, 2003
                  >>I saw Chobits and Ranma
                  translated volumes on the New Books shelves - I'd never before seen American
                  Comics graphic novels or tradepapers at the library before>>

                  I'm actually pretty lucky, where anime and manga are concerned. If any of you ever move to Boston, and need an anime/manga fix, but don't have money to burn, check out the Watertown Public Library. They've been really good about getting all the newest stuff, too. All I had to do was suggest it, and push them gently in the right direction. My wallet no longer screams bloody murder daily. :) The moral of this story? Talk to your reference librarians and make requests! They usually listen, especially now that anime and manga are becoming more visible, rather than just being 'cult classics', or whatnot.

                  - Laurel