Re: [Yuricon] Re: Digest Number 680

  • Amy Gordon
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 27, 2003

      The interesting thing about English is the way the rules were set down. Unlike most languages, - where they made up rules that made sense and forced everyone to conform to them - when they set down the rules for English they simply copied down how people spoke. What this means is that the rules are so convoluted and have a billion exceptions, and it also means that people change the meaning of words and our dictionaries accomodate these changes.

      That's why in English there is 'formal' and 'informal' language, but everyone who has taken high school can speak formally. In comparison to languages such as German, which are similar to English in many ways but have a 'higher' and 'lower' German depending on what social class you belong to.

      Yay for random knowledge ^_~

      -Zeph ^_^